Burning a DL Verbatim -- Auto Speed Setting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elmer Fudd
    • Feb 2007

Burning a DL Verbatim -- Auto Speed Setting?

In IMGburn, there is the auto speed write mode. Is it safe to keep it at that setting for Verbatim DL DVDs, or is it best to manually reduce the burn speed to say 6X? I have a Pioneer 111D which can burn up to 8X. I use ISO mode for movie backups. I had posted this question originally in another forum, but alas that software and forum (ripit) seems to no longer be available.

And, if somebody could explain why burning at a slower speed is useful... If I burn at 8X on DL Verbatims, I don't get any errors (visual or otherwise)... however, I've read some claims that by burning slower, the image quality of the movies is better (less pixelated) -- is this true, or urban legend?

Thanks for any feedback!
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

With DL burns, I find slower is better.

But the best way is to test your burns with CD/DVD Speed.

Minimize your background applications by turning as many as you can off before burning. You want to reduce demand on the CPU.

Check my signature below for more info besides Windows XP

PS: Glad to see you using Verbatims as the rest are garbage.
    Last edited by Gary D; 3 Apr 2007, 12:04 AM.
    Gary D

Comment

• Elmer Fudd
      • Feb 2007

Thanks Gary for the feedback. I had tested a blank Verbatim DL on my Pioneer 111D using the latest version of Nero CD/DVD Speed. Unfortunately I lost the screen captures of the results (posted on the forum that recently disappeared). However, the results were basically a solid burn at 6X, with initial peaks at 8X at the beginning of both layers. Nero then reported the disk burn quality was 97%. So I'm thinking that since Nero reported the burn at mostly 6X, to just set it at 6X? Or would reducing it further to say 4X improve the durability etc., of the DVD?

But I still don't understand why burning slower would reduce pixelation?! (I thought pixelation was caused by compressing a video too much, and not necessarily by burning a DVD too fast)

And yes, I only use Verbatims... they give me the best results for my Pioneer 111D

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

pixelation is caused by errors also, compressing too much usually just lowers the overall quality of the picture

4-6x would be good burn speeds with that burner

scanning with cdspeed on a liteon or benq would probably show differences better

to be safe I would stick with 4X

Comment

• Elmer Fudd
          • Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
          ... scanning with cdspeed on a liteon or benq would probably show differences better...
          Thanks for the reply Chewy. Just curious - why would the above burners show the differences better -- i.e. are they more adapt at shifting burn speeds in tune with the media quality?

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Pioneer dvd burners are notoriously bad quality scanners, they report errors badly and to beat it all are great readers, doing a disk transfer speed test
            with cdspeed is about all I trust them for, except for burning dual layer as well or better than any other burner.

someone there probably has done extensive testing with your burner and would be more qualified to
            about the 4x vs 6x speed

I am basically just going on their information
            Last edited by Chewy; 3 Apr 2007, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• Elmer Fudd
              • Feb 2007

Thanks Chewy for your helpful info, and also for the link which I just checked out. I'm a bit of a newbie... what do you mean by 'a bad scanner'? i.e. it the Pioneer 111 not good at reading disks accurately, or at reading (detecting) errors on disks, or??? Thanks!

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

it seems to report errors badly? even exaggerate them

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

Auto speed uses the speeds you preset for eac media you use. It is a great convenience as you can enter media ID and a speed in the table and just leave the speed setting at auto.

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Elmer Fudd
                    • Feb 2007

Thanks Blutach. I hadn't explored IMGBurn enough to realize what Auto does (I had thought it just did auto-Max speed). I now realize that you can program it in the manner you described. That's a very useful feature -- one which I'll implement ASAP. What a great program IMGBurn is! Kudos to the author(s).

Comment

• ed klein
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2004

Using the default settings in Imgburn to create a dual layer ISO image and burn (can't remember if it was AUTO or MAX) with Verbatim DL on a Plextor 760A created burn rate of 12X and higher with super great picture and NO compression.

Imgburn settings build mode, device mode, and all other settings default, with booktype settings to DVD-ROM

Comment

• soup
                        Just Trying To Help
                        • Nov 2005

You could check this link out it might help.

Comment

• Elmer Fudd
                          • Feb 2007

Thanks Ed and Soup. Your info is very helpful to me.

Ed: it sounds like you have a very good DVD burner. Those DL Verbatims are great -- a 12X burn on that media is impressive - as I think the label specs it up to 6X.

Soup -- your info on auto write speed is fantastic! Thanks!

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

must be overspeeding the 8x media

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
                              Thanks Ed and Soup. Your info is very helpful to me.

Ed: it sounds like you have a very good DVD burner. Those DL Verbatims are great -- a 12X burn on that media is impressive - as I think the label specs it up to 6X.

Soup -- your info on auto write speed is fantastic! Thanks!
                              You are welcome.

Comment

Working...