X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

THX Chief Scientist: ...it's too late for Blu-ray

After HD DVDs demise the UK Magazine asked him for a comment. "Personally, I think it's too late for Blu-ray. I think consumers will only become interested in replacing DVD when HD movies becomes available on flash memory. Do we really need another spinning format?" he told the magazine.

"In the future I want to be able to carry four to five movies around with me in a wallet, or walk into a store and have someone copy me a movie to a USB device. Stores will like that idea, because it's all about having zero inventory. I don't want to take up shelf space with dozens of HD movies."

I don't exactly agree. The idea of going into a store and "downloading" movies is nice, but what about online buying? Do I need to get a new USB flash device everytime I buy a movie online? Or do I send them my USB key and they put the movie on it for me ... and how long would that take?
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

Interesting read.

I personally dont think that blu ray will go the distance. But then again what do I know LOL.

I still dont know anyone personally that owns a blu ray player.
    Not sure that I like the idea of having to download a movie to buy either. How would that work to watch on the home TV? What would the quality be like?

Cd's for music are still going strong so I am thinking DVD will to for a long time to come.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• BR7
      He is coming to your little town!
      • Aug 2005

I seen this a day or two ago.I really don't agree with it much either.Far as I am concerned it's just a scientist with an opinion,I think Blu-ray will be here for years to come.There is way to much money invested in it, and companies are not going to let it have a short life span.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• rago88
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Aug 2005

Remember the paperless office theory way back?
        Also,
        Email will end the Post Office theory?
        Just that.. A theory..
        But it makes good reading on a dull day..

How bout young people will want there private space back when they grow up and realize that text messageing friends are nothing but a 24 hour invasion of there privacey?
        [that one may still happen some day]..

Comment

Working...