X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Sony Adds Netflix, YouTube, Slacker To Blu-ray Player, LG Adds Vudu

Another major brand has added video streaming to its Blu-ray player range, and this time it's Sony. Despite video streaming being seen as a competitor to Blu-ray, Blu-ray's founding father Sony has decided to go with the trend and add Netflix, YouTube and Slacker support to its new BDP-N460 player.

Not to be outdone, LG is adding Vudu support to it's BD390 player, via a firmware update later this month. The firmware will give the LG player the same functionalities as a Vudu set top box. The LG player already has Netflix, YouTube and CinemaNow streaming, as well as local network media file streaming and includes Wi-Fi connections.

It certainly seems that Blu-ray players are fast becoming trojan horses for video streaming services, which would have otherwise faced extreme difficulty in trying to organise a rollout of set top boxes into people's home. The key is Blu-ray Profile 2.0's Internet capabilities and on-board storage.

More on the Sony player:

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

More on the LG Vudu upgrade:

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

And Samsung has added Youtube, MKV and NTFS USB support with their latest firmware (at least for 1600 + 3600) early September

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Can't the PS3 play videos from an external hard drive?
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...