Is HDMI about to be made obsolete, replaced?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Is HDMI about to be made obsolete, replaced?

A new standard for video and audio transfers may make HDMI obsolete. HDbaseT, which uses existing Ethernet cabling, promises to do everything HDMI does and more, and offer superior performance over larger distances as a bonus.

One of the problems with HDMI is what it was never really designed for long distance communication, due to lack of error correction and extension capabilities. HDbaseT, backed by Sony, Samsung, LG, and Valens Semiconductor, aims to solve this by using Ethernet cabling and enabling "hops" to extend the signal travel length to as long as 800m (8 x the 100m maximum for HDbaseT). And because HDbaseT uses traditional Ethernet cables (Cat 5e/6), cost for long runs is not an issue.

The single cable will carry video, audio, Internet and control signals the same way HDMI 1.4 cables can, and can even carry up to 100W of electricity to power remote devices and support for USB devices.

But HDbaseT's biggest problem is the dominance of HDMI as a standard, and even with the big names of Sony, Samsung and LG behind it, it will take a tremendous effort for HDbaseT to replace HDMI, or even to compete with formats like DisplayPort.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

Sounds more than promising.

Missing error protocols in HDMI not too seldom led to broken connections in the past and now even providing up to 100w power supply for devices connected to the system may prove very useful.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

I'm down with this. Those HDMI cables are just way to bulky and awkward even the round ones. Only thing is what about the devices we use that only have 1 ethernet port? Will we have to buy a new HDTV/PS3/Xbox/Blu-ray player with the extra ports?

There's a lot involved with this besides the better communication. Thank God I payed the minimum for my HDMI cables at Monoprice. I really would be po'd if I hadn't.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

The problem is that HDMI is so popular, it's hard to see any other format replacing it. DisplayPort has tried, and even with Apple supporting it fully, it doesn't look like it will replace HDMI. The good things about HDbaseT is that it uses existing cabling and connectors, so with most devices having an Ethernet port already, adding another (or using the same one) for video/audio should be quite easy.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Can anyone use this HDbase T now or there would have to be a definite change in video and audio standards? The Ethernet cables are so much more flexible and user friendly. I didn't think about the same connection being used for everything. Thanks for pointing that out. I was figuring new devices w/extra ports would have to be purchased. I also didn't/don't know that an xtra Ethernet port could be added to an existing PC, HDTV etc... Would that be via a dongle thingy?

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

It's not something that can be enabled via software I don't think, so we'll have to wait for new HDbaseT hardware to emerge. I think HDMI will still co-exist along with it, but instead of things like Blu-ray players having an Ethernet port, the same port (which can be used as a plain old Ethernet connection) may also work as a HDbaseT connector if connected to the right hardware on the other end.

There is actually already lots of HDMI over Ethernet solutions around, to help extend HDMI run length, so HDbaseT isn't exactly new technology, just a new standard.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

When you say the right hardware on the other end do you mean the modem or w/e one is using for a internet connection? I was thinking that the player say Blu-ray/console/HDTV would have the hardware changes not the other way around. Or do both ends have to meet some new hardware specs? I have to read more on this I'm not getting this right now. The only hardware that I could think of on the other end is a router/modem etc... as that's where the regular Ethernet port on a Blu-ray player lets say would be connected for web access.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

By right hardware, I mean another device that supports HDbaseT. We'll know more once real devices with HDbaseT arrives (if it arrives).

Comment

• jmet
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2002

If it does catch on, I would imagine someone would come up with a compatible hub/switch/router of some sort that allows one cable in multiple out

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

Alright that's what I figured that both ends of the HDbaseT ethernet had to support it w/some hardware changes. I did however presume that the change in the ethrnet jack on the wall would come straight from the signal and not any changes to the Jack etc...

It wouldn't have to be perfect, so even a very good transfer signal using this Format would be ok.

Comment

• FRi3D
                      • Oct 2011

I think Thunderbolt has the power, simplicity and quality to compete head to head with HDMI. This new Ethernet connection sounds like something for industry/commercial use rather than residential use, which consumes probably %90 of the "multi-media interface/connection" market. I don't think Thunderbolt was around when this post was submitted. But Apple is using it faithfully now. Usually when Apple does something everyone else follows suit.

Comment

• Vladislaus
                        • May 2010

Originally Posted by FRi3D
                        I think Thunderbolt has the power, simplicity and quality to compete head to head with HDMI. This new Ethernet connection sounds like something for industry/commercial use rather than residential use, which consumes probably %90 of the "multi-media interface/connection" market. I don't think Thunderbolt was around when this post was submitted. But Apple is using it faithfully now. Usually when Apple does something everyone else follows suit.
                        Like FireWire, when Apple told the world it would beat USB, and eventhough it was superior it failed to do that?

Also the video signal in the Thunderbolt is identical to DisplayPort they even use the same connector.

Comment

Working...