X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Toshiba Defends Spain World Cup Promotion

Toshiba launched a very interesting promotion in Spain, just prior to the start of the FIFA World Cup, in which they promised to provide refunds for all those who purchased one of their Core i5 2010 model notebooks if Spain win the World Cup. Well, Spain has won the World Cup, but some are finding that Toshiba won't provide the refund - because they didn't register their claim in time.

The advertisement for the promotion didn't mention anything about registration, and the terms and conditions were only posted online, but those that didn't register before June 17 won't get any refund.

But users familiar with cash backs, bonus items and similar promos will know about the complicated nature of registration and the eventual claim of the items, sometime 6 or 12 month after the original purchase. Toshiba feels that users should have taken the time to make themselves aware of the T&C, but consumer groups are demanding that Toshiba pay up, even to those users that haven't registered in time.

More:

Last edited by admin; 22 Jul 2010, 10:56 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Having just gone through Samsung's promo (free Blu-ray 3D player + glasses for purchase of a 3D TV), anyone who has ever done a "cash back" or "free stuff" promo will know that there will always be conditions, and that you'll almost always need to fill in a form or register something online.

With that said, if Toshiba's ads for the promo didn't include any mention of "terms and conditions" applying, then that's usually not legal (at least here in Australia), and they could get into trouble for it.

The way companies run these promos is that they will always be relying on a percentage of users that don't follow the instructions precisely, so they can deny their claims and save money. Otherwise, they could easily verify your purchase and your purchase date through various means (sometimes just the product's serial number is enough).

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by admin
      ...prior to the start of the FIFA World Cup in Spain
      they should easily get away with it by simply saying the world cup took place in SA an not in spain

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Haha, sorry, missed a comma there. Should have been:

Toshiba launched a very interesting promotion just prior to the start of the FIFA World Cup, in Spain
        Or perhaps better worded in the way I've edited the post now.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Also, Toshiba were brave to launch this promo, since Spain were one of the favourites going into the competition.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

most defnitely spain was a team considered one of the favourites and the way they played make them a worthy champion

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

What I don't get is the promotion period! So Spaniards will get a refund if they win? What's the incentive here, if some person in Spain never bought one of those Notebooks?

Anyway I followed the Cup for the 1st time in my life. It was good. I'm just glad they tightened up that officiating towards the end. It was horrendous, and for a multi-billion dollar operation really pathetic in a way. Even though these knuckleheads here in MLB/NBA etc... sometimes still don't get it right w/instant replay either.
              SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...