What speaker system are you using with your PC?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

What speaker system are you using with your PC?

I was wondering what you guys are using to produce noise (okay, sound) from your PC. I expect the most of you to be using a multimedia setup, but I would be very interested to hear from someone who uses components (hifi or studio monitor) instead.

Follow the format (Brand)(Model). For example, I currently own the Videologic Sirocco Crossfire. Essentially a 4.1 system, but excels more in music than in games, thanks largely to its smooth and detailed satellites, coupled with a musical sub.

On with the show.
  • chickeneater
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2002

altec lansing AVS500 4.1

pretty nice, $20usd, a bit hard to adjust the center volume equality if i move different places.
    FFDShow filters
    Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

2 Altec Lansing Multimedia Speakers coupled with a subwoofer. 6 years later they still sound great and look good (stylish grey colour contrasts with my not so white now PC). on my Pentium Pro 200 system from Dell (these speakers came with my system).

However now's the age for 7.1 sound!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Do you remember the model no? 6 years ago would be around 1997. Could be something that comes with the number 45.1 or 48.

However now's the age for 7.1 sound!
        I don't see any point in that with a PC. Space is an issue and secondly, few DVDs, if any, come with soundtracks with this many channels.

Now back on topic. I want to hear what everyone is using.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

The model number for the speakers (as listed on the speakers) is the Satellite 31. I'm not much of an audiophile, so stereo sound is good enough for me.

WMV-9 supports 7.1 surround sound. If there were 7 speakers in my house, it's safe to say, there wouldnt' be room for me A bit off topic: MS has released a "high definition" DVD of Terminator 2.

Comment

• t3ch
            H4x0r of Gibsons
            • Mar 2003

I have the Altec Lansing 251's , soon to be upgraded to the Klipsch Promedia 4.1

Hooray for speakers.

BTW, my new sound card makes a HUGE difference in sound, it's great! (M-Audio Revolution)

edit >> like the new icon enchanter, what's it from?
            OGSTH! my webpage
            ----------------------------
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• gd_nimrod
              • Nov 2002

Wow, you guys have some nice set-ups there!

I myself have some sound card, with a speaker on each side of my monitor. HAH!
              Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
              http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
              http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2003

Soundblaster Audigy 2
                Harmon Kardon 7.1 Surround sound system
                7 Bose Speakers - 100 watts a piece
                2 AudioBahn 15" Subwoofers - 800 watts a piece

EDIT>>> WATTAGE VALUES
                Last edited by SKD_Tech; 9 Jun 2003, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• crazyman
                  • Feb 2003

I have a 3 speaker set from altec lansing,25 watts of total power,but i connect it to my 160 watt regular speakers which make some nice sounding explosions in movies and music

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

I had to get a AC to DC converter for my amps that power my subwoofers which I must say in a pain in the butt. I have a AudioBahn 1500 Watt amp that I use for my subs and just the reciever powers the bose satalite speakers and gives them 100 watts a piece

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Mar 2002

Cambridge Soundworks FourPointSurround FPS1600
                      Creative SounBlaster Live 5.1

I get very good sound, which i am more than satisfied with. I use it mostly for music, but games as well.
                      MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
                      Look here before posting questions

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

SKD_Tech,

2 sets of 15in subwoofer must be very loud. Does it not often drown out the sound from your Bo$e cubes? And being 15in monsters, they must be very slow, compared to smaller-sized drivers.

t3ch,

I'm looking at upgrading to the M-Audio Revolution too from my current Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. The drivers should hopefully have matured in a few months time. For example the long-awaited 2X-stereo feature that many music listeners demand.

My new icon? I'm not sure whether it came from a series. Probably more of an artist impression.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Enchanter
                          SKD_Tech,

2 sets of 15in subwoofer must be very loud. Does it not often drown out the sound from your Bo$e cubes? And being 15in monsters, they must be very slow, compared to smaller-sized drivers.

Nope. With a great feature on Harmon Kardon Recievers you can make different speakers play differt levels. While lets say my bose are running at 90 decibals the subs are running at about 85... Also the 15"'s are selectable. I can turn one or both on depending on how loud I want them....

Comment

• Enchanter
                            Old member
                            • Feb 2002

That's one nice setup. Must have cost you (your dad more likely) a fortune.

Now let's keep the inputs coming.

Comment

• Livewire
                              • Jun 2003

I have a old 1980's 600 Watt Yamaha AMP with two tower speakers with 15 inch sub woofers connected to my PC. It makes the sound on Games and Movies enjoyable, but put to shame as I live in an APT, and can't turn it up without bothering everyone. Kinda system that can change your heartbeat in a hurry if turned up.

But, I am looking for a 7.1 Channel system to replace it with. I can't seem to find anything with the features I want or somthing I can use without having to take a rocket scientist course.

Unfortunately, most of the people in the stereo shops just sell thier systems, and unfortunately don't take enough time to get to know thier products. All the questions I have get nowhere, so I still use my dinasour Amplifier.
                              Government throws more money at a problem, so it looks like they are making a difference.

Comment

Working...