Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

When I said interesting, I meant interesting in a strange kind of way. The thing about Stokes is that he is the only player of that age at Arsenal - all the other first year scholars are at least 17/18, and there's only about 8 of them anyway. He seems to be getting more attention than all the other youth players as well, which is even stranger considering his age. Who knows, he'll probably be released next year or something.

Valencia playing Porto in the Super Cup - if I had to guess which team won the CL and which won the UEFA Cup, I would guess wrong everytime. Glad to see Ranieri has gone to a good club - he was far too much of a gentlemen to be associated with a club like Chelsea, whereas Mourinho fits in very well.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• MPS
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Mar 2003

Valencia playing Porto in the Super Cup - if I had to guess which team won the CL and which won the UEFA Cup, I would guess wrong everytime.

you know i got the same feeling? i tried really hard and i think i understood it correct: Porto won CL, Valencia won UEFA

Comment

• Oriphus
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Aug 2003

Also, Abramovich apparently has interests in CSKA Moscow
        Yeah, his Iol Company is their principle sponsor and FIFA are looking into it at the minute.

Well, in the Wayne Rooney situation, i think we are probably the best team that could sign him from his perspective. He will definitely get all the training to become a top player under Sir Alex, who is renowned for bringing the best out of talented young players. However, what i do ponder over is the fact that for £25 million (forgetting that David Bellion is probably going the other way) we could get ourselves a top European Striker from a number of teams and a top midfielder or defender. Its an awful amount of money to spend on an 18 year old, that really hasnt proved himself in my eyes. He is good, ill grant him that, but as usual the English media have overhyped him and put boots on him that are far too big. Now if he doesnt perform as the best player in the world, no doubt they will slate him. Hopefully, if he does come to United, he turns into a top player. However, i still wonder what Ronaldinho would have been like had he come to Old Trafford......

Well, another Premiership game and more points dropped. Im not angry about 5 points in 4 games, considering that Arsenal & Chelsea are both on 12, i more irritated that we seem to completely outplay the opponents and then just cant seem to quite finishe it off. Friedel was amazing on Saturday, we should have scored atleast 5 goals if he hadnt had been in that form. And...again today, we hit the woodwork 3 times inside about 10minutes as well as a few great saves from the keeper, especially Louis Saha's drive at the right top corner. WE are playing very good football, we just cant seem to out them away. Its disappointing. What i do know is that we cannot afford to draw or loose another game at all this season. What are the chances of a 30 game winning streak for United......now thats what we make me happy. I fear that already, at 7 points behind this early in the premiership and lying in 9th position, that we may well end up loosing the title race again.

Im not worried about Chelsea at all to be honest. I think they are very beatable. Especially once we have the likes of RvN, Rio Ferdinand, Roy Keane, Louis Saha fit, Wes Brown, Gabriel Heinze back, Wayne Rooney (if he comes and is fit) in our squad. Those players are all top top players and should change our side drastically. I do however, worry that Arsenal are the team of this few years. They are playing to well together and their movements are amazing. I only hope that we beat them when i go over to see them.

Come on united.......get your act together now.....
        http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

I think Wayne Rooney is a good player, but probably not worth the 25 million being quoted, considering Owen was only 10 million. Didn't Saha score more league goals than Rooney last season, and I think he's far better value, and with Rooney, it will mean Saha has to be benched. But then again, Rooney could turn out to be one of the best strikers in the world in the future, so it's a gamble (but Man U can afford to take this gamble).

As for writing off United, it's too early (although one can safely write off Newcastle already, don't know what's going on there). Chelsea has had a very good start, but I think the real test is on a cold, windy and wet day when Chelsea are playing away on a bad pitch - I doubt their "superstars" can handle this test, especially if it's their first season in England. As for Arsenal, we will drop points, and definitely more than the 7 that separates us and United - let's see what happens when Ferdinand, RvN and Heinze (and Rooney, if you sign him) come into the team.

We're also set to sign Angulo from Valencia, which is a very strange transfer. Wenger has said repeatedly we'll sign a defender, and then sets his target on a very average midfielder/striker (positions that we have the most depth in) - some even hinted that Angulo may play right-back, which is very odd indeed. Perhaps Wenger sees something no one else has seen in Angulo (and he usually does). Angulo does have big ears (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image..._angulo203.jpg), so maybe a straight replacement for Jeffers?

Comment

• Oriphus
            Digital Video Technician
            Digital Video Technician
            • Aug 2003

Those are mighty big ears lol. I dont think you will sign him, mainly for the fact that the international transfer window and domestic window are now closed.

I do think that Arsenal will drop points and probably be beaten as well, but they are looking exceptionally strong as a team.

Im looking forward to the Full United team, now including our £30 million Wayne Rooney number 8 who signed earlier tonight. Im hoping that he will turn out to be one fo the best strikers in the world. He is a very direct striker with pace. I hope to see a partnership between RvN and Rooney, and then Smith and Saha, so that we can change them about. It is going to be difficult to send Alan Smith to the bench, or Saha for that matter, but once Rooney is fit, you dont pay £30 Million for a bench warmer......

I hope to see us pick up the pace now - start a real winning streak. We are being so unlucky at the minute. We keep completely dominating the games and hitting the woodwork loads of times, but we never seem to be able to score a load of goals.....its desperate.

I am excited about Wayne Rooney playing for United, and im fairly happy with the deal we got (including a 6 year contract) because i was worried it would be 3 or 4 years. I only wish that Everton did not have a 25% sell on agreement, but im hoping that will never be needed.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Augulo had a last minute change of heart (apparently during the medical), and decided to stay at Valencia. I doubt he would have been happy to sit on the bench (if he's lucky), since he has to fight Ljungberg/Pennant, Cesc/Flamini/Edu and van Persie/Aliadiere for a place, unless he plays at right back (which is the only position we really need a backup for, although Toure plays excellently there, but he is needed as a centre back). Dutch news reports does say that we've signed right back Trabelsi from Ajax, but it's been reported before and nothing happened then.

Off the field, Arsenal have recorded a record turnover, up 33% from last year. The proportion of wages to turnover also dropped, and will drop further considering the number of fringe players we let go this season. The stadium construction is also ahead of schedule.

I also thought this piece on transfer fees was interesting:

The best sports coverage from around the world, covering: Football, Cricket, Golf, Rugby, WWE, Boxing, Tennis and much more.

It's amazing to think that Arsenal spent less on transfers than London neighbours Fulham.

Comment

• DAFT
                Slightly Stupid
                • Aug 2004

i would guess that Arsenal is content with their current talent pool. I guess that Premier League has a Draft like the NFL: the question I have is do you have a Fantasy League like we do in the states. When I was in college I waited tables and those guys would come in every year to Make there trades. You'd think they were curing cancer the way they went on. What news of MU during this trading/draft phase? Your Yankee is lost without the info.
                Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
                I'm Watching You!!!

Comment

• MPS
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2003

we have a 'Fantasy League' it's called Champion's League

MU signed EWayne Rooney if you missed that, for $40mln, which i wouldnt mind getting at such young age

DAFT, U have any NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB & MLS favorite teams? mine are Giants, Islanders, trail Blazers, Yankees & Fire, respectively

Comment

• DAFT
                    Slightly Stupid
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by MPS

DAFT, U have any NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB & MLS favorite teams? mine are Giants, Islanders, trail Blazers, Yankees & Fire, respectively [/B]
                    yea, mine are Green Bay (the only pro team owned by the fans), NJ Devils (I'm a Jersey local so I have no choice), I've always been loyal to the Nets even the bad seasons(god we mourn the loss of Petrovic), and I'm not so big a fan of MLB but I'd go with the Braves only cause' they are the most televised team in BB. For reasons only Ted Turner would be able to answer. But Soccer in the US, Give it up for San Jose, it's all about Donavan baby...
                    I'm Watching You!!!

Comment

• MPS
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Mar 2003

Donovan, I remember the guy from Korea/Jpan World Cup. He was outstanding from the US team. Shame we (Poland) had to beat your ass 3-1

Comment

• DAFT
                        Slightly Stupid
                        • Aug 2004

with any luck our team will actually become a real threat nationally. I guess we'll have to see how they do in the next cup games. Interesting though that they got farther than the English eh?
                        I'm Watching You!!!

Comment

• MPS
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Mar 2003

forget it man, the 2002 World Cup was a joke of a tournament. Referees set everything up, so that Korea goes as far as possible, luckily two worthy teams met in the final (Bra & Ger) and well... let's say Turkey is OK @ 3rd... but the penalties given or not given, the red cards etc. - that's total bs

Comment

• Oriphus
                            Digital Video Technician
                            Digital Video Technician
                            • Aug 2003

lol - strong opinions on the World Cup. i think the greatest footballing competition has to be most definietly the European Champions League. The level of football is amazing, better than what you get at the world cup. If only people had invested more efforts in the World Club Cup, we couldve seen teams like River Plate, Sau Paulo and The Keizer Chiefs taking on our European giants.......

Comment

• DAFT
                              Slightly Stupid
                              • Aug 2004

all i'm saying is the better the US do in the cups (even "joke tournies") the more interest it will bring to the sport in the states. the US is all about the dollars, you get interest and the money is there to really create a world class team. Remember who markets the big names in Euro football. George is not one to shy away from 100 million dollar deals. all we need is some more friendly matches over here to convince the public. I went to the AC Milan Man U at Giants. 82,000 in attendance, thats starting to wake people up over here. with luck, I'll be alive to see a competitive US league that rates with the like of Premeir ballplay. I can always dream...
                              I'm Watching You!!!

Comment

• Oriphus
                                Digital Video Technician
                                Digital Video Technician
                                • Aug 2003

Oh dear, another draw for us and a win for Arsenal. What is the world coming to. I'll post on Sunday night (if im here, if not on Thursday) after i have watched the game so i can understand the result.

Arsenal are looking good Admin

DAFT - Soccer is growing in America, more schools are offering it as an alternative to America Football, which will eventually lead to a greater pool of players for the MLS. USA has always had a great sporting nation - soccer will have its day

Comment

Working...