• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

At first it was illegal to tape anything off mass media, as technology
    improved and grew and all lawmakers/law interpreters realized that they
    and their families were all breaking the law, it became officially legal.
    This is known as "Time Shifting", maybe you join a rental club or whatever and
    you want to timeshift movie dvd's, who is to say that won't ever become
    legal? We just need the majority of voters doing it and HOLLYWOOD
    and all their lawyers and money will be outvoted.
    This is all purely HYPOTHETICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

lol, not in our lifetime rbrtpl
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

I don't know, I was always amazed at all the others buying blanks
        at the "brick and mortar" when I used to use memorex and cmcmag's.

Comment

• RenegadeMedia
          • Aug 2005

From my understanding of the law, it is not illegal to use the program to make backups of the DVD's you own, just like it is not illegal to use MP3's, as long as you have the original. (I believe they deemed that no matter what format it is in, as long as you have purchased it, you are abiding by the law) At least, in the US... I'm not sure about other countries. Further more, I utilize DVDShrink for my own home movies that were created and are too big to fit on a DVD+/-R.... The actual TOOL shouldn't be illegal. It is the use of the tool that can be. Kind of like guns... it is not illegal to buy/have a firearm... or purchase ammunition. In certain areas you are even allowed to carry one on you. If you shoot at a person, or discharge it in public... it is deemed illegal.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Shrink is illegal! In the US. As the law is strictly interpreted by federal
            courts in this day and time, discussing shrink is not, google DeCSS.
            Whether using shrink is illegal or not I will defer to greater legal minds than
            mine. These forums seem to use the precendent set by the US Supreme
            Court regarding backing up MS OS cd's, I agree with "fair use".

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by rbrtpl
              Whether using shrink is illegal or not I will defer to greater legal minds than
              mine. These forums seem to use the precendent set by the US Supreme
              Court regarding backing up MS OS cd's, I agree with "fair use".

Exactly and also why Mr Shrink stayed anonymous and also never accepted donations. Otherwise, he would have been profiting from it which would make it look worse.
              Last edited by nwg; 15 Oct 2005, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

not one of these threads again!
                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                Columbo moments...
                "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

Yep! So let's move it where it belongs. To OT and leave the DVD Shrink forum for DVD Shrink related problems.

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• nwg
                    Left *****
                    • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by blutach
                    Yep! So let's move it where it belongs. To OT and leave the DVD Shrink forum for DVD Shrink related problems.

Regards
                    It has already been moved to OT.

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

concerning this matter we are already one step ahead

quite a while ago i asked dvdshrink for a shrink WITHOUT deccs which he actually made and send me: it was shrink 3.2.0.16 for us germans who suffer from cease&desist letters from some ****wit lawyers for a long time now

i can provide this version any given time

Comment

Working...