X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Pet Insurance

If anyone who is thinking of getting Pet Insurance, do it now.

I have had a very unsettling weekend. Last week, Lola was eating grass all the time and being sick. She was eating and drinking ok. On Friday, she was being sick as soon as she ate and drunk. I took her to the vets and a x ray showed she had eaten a stone and it had got stuck in her small intestine. No food or water would get through. She had a emergency operation to get it out and they think it was the biggest stone they have seen in a dog. They have said that she might have died if she was left another 24 hours before going to the vets.

Luckily, I got Insurance out on her only six weeks ago at £12 per month. The operation cost £700 and also another £300 has been put on as she had some pills for a hip and knee problem (they haven't formed properly and get badly swollen). The pills are a strong daily painkiller to help her be in less pain while she grows more and hopefully correct the problem. If it doesn't get any better, she will likely need knee and hip replacements.

She has got over it very quickly and is now running about and causing a nuisance like she has always done Even the woman at the vets during todays checkup was surprised.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

I am so sorry to hear that NWG,
      I am sure glad to hear that Lola is doing well.

Health insurrance for animals here is very expensive and few vets except it.

Luckily I have found a very great vet that will help work out pay agrements and discount the vet bills depending on income. This vet is more concered about the health of the animal rather then Pay the Huge bill or no care, like most of them are around here.

We also have a program here called Kerns, it is not inssurance but if you donate at leaste $1.00 per month or $12.00 per year you can use the Kerns service which pays about 80% of any vet bills if you make under $40,000 per year.

Many people in this state donate to the fund so there is money there to help animals in the time of need.
      So no one has to feel that they cant afford to take their pets in.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by photo_angel2004
        I am so sorry to hear that NWG,
        I am sure glad to hear that Lola is doing well.
        Thanks. Her stomach is very swollen but she doesn't seem to mind as she is atcting as nothing has happened.

It would have happened sooner or later. She always has to have something in her mouth and is always picking up things from the garden.

Before we started the insurance we already thought we had insurance but, the scheme was for reduced costs (around 25%). Once we, realised that w took out proper insurance.

In the UK there is PDSA. This is a charity that does free vetinary service for cats and dogs. They have approved practices but there is non near me.

PDSA is the vet charity for pets in need, working to keep people and pets together. Find out more about us and how you can support our work
        Last edited by nwg; 29 Mar 2006, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
          Queen of Digital Video
          Queen of Digital Video
          • Jan 2004

@nwg,
          Isnt it amazing how much we love our pets. When they get sick or hurt its like one of our kids in pain.
          Hell what am I saying they are one of our kids.

When I was a kid growing up I had a paper route and one day my dog got loose and I couldnt catch her. So I went down the road and dilivered my papers. While I was at a door with a paper I hear the unforgetable squealing of car tires....... She was hit..... and she couldnt get up.

I carried her all the way back home, my mother took her to an animal hospital and she had 3 operations on her back legs. The vet said she may never walk right again.... but 6 months later she was running and jumping like nothing ever happened. She lived to be 19 years old.

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Our pets have never lived long. The oldest dog was only 12 when he died from Liver Cancer (he was also run over years before and couldn't walk for sometime). We found out later he atcually hit the number plate of the car (License plate) and his head hit it so hard that it bent it (it was metal). Luckily he got through it and all his legs healed ok.

Another dog we had was 11 when he died from cancer as well. He was diagnosed several years earlier and was supposed to only live for a few months. We changed his diet and got Squib. I really believe having a new puppy round made him want to live longer and managed over four years more. Squib is now 12 and I also believe he is beving like he is younger since we got Lola. They can't be seperated now. Squib was lost without having Lola over the weekend and definitely missed her.

We had two black cats (who were brothers and called Beano and Monty). Both of them were hit by cars and left for dead. Monty was missing for days and I found him in the hedge by the road while cutting the grass. She was obviously hit by a car and the driver just tossed him in the hedge and drove off. It was not a pleasant experience. Monty was only five and Beano was eight.
            Last edited by nwg; 29 Mar 2006, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
              Queen of Digital Video
              Queen of Digital Video
              • Jan 2004

@nwg,
              That is so sad. I am really lucky that my cat is scared of outside.
              I dont have to worry about him getting hit by a car he starts shaling as soon as he leaves past the door. It is a fight to take him anywhere like in the basment for a tornado or to the vet or even to have pictures of the family taken with him in them. He is just scared of outside.

I know what you mean by people that hit animals and just leave them.
              I saw a guy hit a cat once about 2 years ago they guy kep driving I stopped my truck... help up traffic and resued the cat..... she was stilll alive and hurt bad..... she had tags on her with her phone number and name I used my cell phone and called her house. The cats owner was so greatful they offered me money but I could not take it. I just wanted the cat to be ok. We did however exchange phone numbers and a few weeks later they called to say the cat would be ok and if I had not have taken action right away she probably would have died with in an hour or so.

Comment

• nwg
                Left *****
                • Jun 2003

In the UK it is actually a criminal offence to hit a dog and drive off without stopping but, not a cat. I have found if someone hits a dog then most of the time they do stop but don't stop if it was a cat. It is like cats are second class to a dogs.

How stupid is that.
                Last edited by nwg; 29 Mar 2006, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2004

now thats just stupid ! Here cats and dogs are treated the same when it comes to laws. I dont think there any laws on a hit and run on an animal of any kind around here. At leaste none that I am aware of. Which is stupid too.

Sometimes hitting an anmial ca not be avoided but at least try and help the poor animal.

Comment

• smkymntgrl
                    Digital Video Technician
                    Digital Video Technician
                    • Feb 2005

photo_angel someone sent me a pic of this cat in an email. It's one big kitty! Though you might like it!!

URL=http://ima[geshack.us][/URL]
                    Smkymntgrl

Check for Firmware Updates HERE.
                    Read THIS to Find Out How to Find and Post Your Nero Log.
                    READ the Golden Rules of Burning.

Knowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens
                    - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

• sonic_emperor
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Mar 2003

wow! this is a pokemon...
                      cro-anthem-video

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                        Queen of Digital Video
                        Queen of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by smkymntgrl
                        photo_angel someone sent me a pic of this cat in an email. It's one big kitty! Though you might like it!!

URL=http://ima[geshack.us][/URL]

Holy Moly that is a very big kitty or that is one very small lady LOL

Comment

• smkymntgrl
                          Digital Video Technician
                          Digital Video Technician
                          • Feb 2005

If you have cats and dogs like I do you can really find the humor in this:

A Dog's Diary

7am - Oh Boy! Breakfast! My favorite!

9am - Oh Boy! A car ride! My favorite!

10am - Oh Boy! A walk! My favorite!

11am - Oh Boy! A car ride! My favorite!

Noon - Oh Boy! A nap! My favorite!

1pm - Oh Boy! The yard! My favorite!

3pm - Oh Boy! Animal Planet! My favorite!

4pm - Oh Boy! Dinner! My favorite!

5pm - Oh Boy! Grandma! My favorite!

7pm - Oh Boy! Playing with my "baby"! My favorite!

9pm - Oh Boy! Sleeping in Dana's bed! My favorite!

A Cat's Diary

Day 183 of my captivity....

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
                          They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal.
                          The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild
                          satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture.

Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant. Today my attempt to kill my
                          captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost
                          succeeded; must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to
                          disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself
                          to vomit on their favorite chair; must try this on their bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in an attempt
                          to make them aware of what I am capable of and to try to strike fear
                          into their hearts. They only cooed and commented about what a good
                          little kitty I was. Hmmm, not working according to plan.

There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in
                          solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the
                          noise and smell the food. More importantly I overheard that my
                          confinement was because of my power of "allergies." Must learn what
                          this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The
                          dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is
                          obviously an idiot. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an
                          informant and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my
                          every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety
                          is assured. But I can wait; it is only a matter of time....
                          Smkymntgrl

- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2004

So thats why cats go after mice and birds. LMAO

Comment

• smkymntgrl
                              Digital Video Technician
                              Digital Video Technician
                              • Feb 2005

Yes they are trying to frighten us into submission!
                              Smkymntgrl

- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                                Queen of Digital Video
                                Queen of Digital Video
                                • Jan 2004

well that just aint working now is it. LMAO
                                or maybe it is my cat is pretty spolied. LMAO

Comment

Working...