X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Forum / Tea, Connection?

Ever since I joined this Forum I have been drinking more tea. My family has even commented on it. It isn't that I don't drink coffee, I have a couple of cups in the morning. I have looked around the Forum & used search to see if I could help myself on this subject but came up empty. Is there a connection between the Forum & drinking more tea or is it just the fact it is winter outside & a hot drink tastes good when you come inside?

• UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

depending on the kind of tea you keep drinking we might need to ask ourselves: is the forum content upsetting you?

Comment

• Gary D
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Skip the tea and move on to something with less caffeine like Jolt cola!!! HaHaHa! Just watch your caffiene intake and there should be no harm.
      Gary D

Comment

• Jack Lurker
        Oh Bugger! It's bust again!
        • Jun 2005

I never drink coffee, tea is much nicer. And it is better for you as it contains Flavonoids:

Flavonoids in Tea

Common green and black tea leaves consist of about 25-30 percent flavonoids, including quercetin and gallic esters. Like the flavonoids in grapes and other fruits and vegetables, they also protect against heart disease.

For five years, Dutch researchers Michaël Hertog, M.Sc., and Edith Feskens, Ph.D., followed the dietary and lifestyle habits of 805 men ages 65-84 in the town of Zutphen. After accounting for the men's physical activity, smoking habits, and intake of vitamins C and E, and beta-carotene, the researchers found that men eating a lot of flavonoids-in tea, onions, and apples-were far less likely to suffer heart disease or heart attacks than men eating few flavonoids.

"There is evidence that free-radical oxidation of LDL plays an important part in atherogenesis," Hertog and Feskins wrote in Lancet (Oct. 23, 1993;342:1007-11). "Flavonoids are scavengers of free radicals...It is possible that quercetin and other flavonoids reduce the rate of formation of oxidised LDL and thus inhibit the growth of atherosclerotic plaques."

The benefits of tea flavonoids were confirmed earlier this year by researchers at the Saitama Cancer Research Center, Japan. K. Imai, PhD, and K. Nakachi, PhD, studied 1,371 men enrolled in a 40-year study of eating habits and health. They reported that elderly men who drank 10 or more cups of green tea daily had lower blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides than men who drank less of the tea.

"Consumption of green tea was significantly associated with lower serum concentrations of lipids and lipoproteins," they wrote in the British Medical Journal (March 18, 1995;310:693-6). "An increase in consumption substantially decreased serum total cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations, and this strong association remained almost unaltered even after age, cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption, and relative body weight were controlled for."

The heavy tea drinkers also benefited from higher blood levels of the HDL and lower levels of the "bad" low-density lipoprotein (LDL) form of cholesterol. In addition, they had lower levels of certain liver enzymes, suggesting a reduced risk of liver disease.

"Green tea has many advantages over chemical preventive agents-tea is non-toxic and thus readily available to the general population," Imai and Nakachi wrote.

Drinking either green or black tea also protects against skin cancer by ultraviolet (UV) light and hazardous chemicals. In an experiment, Allan Conney, Ph.D., of the College of Pharmacy, Rutgers University, brewed four types of teas in concentrations comparable to what people drink: black tea, green tea, decaffeinated black tea, and decaffeinated green tea. He gave one type of each tea to four different groups of mice as their sole source of drinking fluid, then exposed them to either cancer-causing UV radiation or chemicals. For comparison's sake, he gave another group of mice plain water to drink.

Conney reported in Cancer Research (July 1, 1994;54:3428-35) that the teas "markedly inhibited" the numbers and sizes of tumors. Black tea was most effective, reducing the number of tumors by 93 percent in comparison with mice fed water. Green tea was almost as good, resulting in 88 percent fewer tumors. The decaffeinated black and green teas resulted in 77 and 72 percent fewer tumors, respectively.

Conney wrote that the benefits of tea are probably related to the antioxidant effect of the flavonoids. Why were the decaffeinated teas less beneficial? It's very possible that the decaffeination process removes some flavonoids as well as caffeine.

Original story: http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/flavonoids.html
        Jack

The best thing for trees is a bloody big axe! Works for stupidity too!!
        You have a problem? Search the forums, you 'aint the first person to have your problem thats for sure!!
        There's a bloke called Blutach here somewhere, check out his signature. Loads of useful info in it!

Comment

• techreactor
          Banned
          • Jul 2005

Tea is good for health, it helps your body to detoxify, although excess of everything is Bad, as usual.

EDIT: Nice post Jack.

Comment

• Jack Lurker
            • Jun 2005

Thanks techreactor.

Although to be honest I drink Waaaaaaay too much tea. Get some good stuff from here:www.harney.com Here is good too:www.tea.co.uk
            Jack

You have a problem? Search the forums, you 'aint the first person to have your problem thats for sure!!
            There's a bloke called Blutach here somewhere, check out his signature. Loads of useful info in it!

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

Great post Jack & interesting, that would be post #4. Now I feel so ordinary just drinking plain old Tetley.

Comment

• Jack Lurker
                • Jun 2005

Tetleys is good, Yorkshire tea is a good plain tea if you can get it where you are, nice and strong. Dont forget good old PG Tips, Wallace and Grommits favourite brew!!!

www.yorkshiretea.co.uk

www.pgmoment.com

Crikey! How sad are we?? All this talk of tea us makes sound old!!!!
                Jack

Comment

• Derree
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jul 2005

All I ever drink is Diet Coke...I am heading for an early grave I suspect
                  sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
                  good
                  -------------------------------------------

Comment

• soup
                    Just Trying To Help
                    • Nov 2005

We are only as old as we feel. It is just sometimes we feel a little bit older. I drank tea as a kid just not as much as I do now. I might even have to have some tea & scones this afternoon, damn forgot the scones. (LOL)

@ Derree at least it is diet.
                    Last edited by soup; 20 Feb 2006, 03:25 AM.

Comment

• Derree
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Jul 2005

Yeah I don't know why soup but since I was 12 or 13 its all I like...so for close to twenty years....of course I drink at least 2 liters a day...
                      sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
                      good
                      -------------------------------------------

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

i drink tea all the time, but to say my own consumption is somehow related to DVF is nuts

i drink 'dilmah', indian tea
                        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• BR7
                          He is coming to your little town!
                          • Aug 2005

I drink tea a lot as well not hot but cold tea. I also drink a lot of cran-apple juice,grape fruit juice,Mango juice and tomato juice

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• blutach
                            Not a god of digital video
                            • Oct 2004

Bugger tea, coffee, whatever.

How 'bout a nice glasssa wine and a long tall cold Foster's?

Regards
                            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Miss Marple
                              Dithering old maid
                              • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by blutach
                              How 'bout a nice glasssa wine and a long tall cold Foster's?
                              Young men shouldn't drink anything stronger than tea.

Comment

Working...