Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicster
    • Aug 2002

keyframe help

I recently ripped this movie and wanted to insert the deleted scenes. Then I realized that my keyframe settings were set to keyframe every 300 frames, which wasn't good enough. The avi that I had was about 650 megs. After recompressing it in Virtual Dub and setting the keyframe setting to keyframe every 1 frame, I got this monster of an avi that was almost a gig. Why did this happen? I used the same bitrate as on the avi before.... I didnt mess with the sound (mp3 compression). I used 1 pass encoding and divx 5.0.2 codec. Does inserting keyframes really increase the avi size? Or did I do smth else worng to get a gig avi?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

a keyframe stores ALL information of a frame, whereas deltaframes only store the transitional information.

thus keyframes take much more space and that's exactly why noone uses keyframe every 1 sec but only when a scene changes and thus another keyframe with all new information is required.

Comment

• vicster
      • Aug 2002

So what setting should I use then? I want to insert some deleted scenes and I want it to be kinda precise. Should I set it to like keyframe every 5 frames? And what does this setting in DivX 5.0.2 mean: "Scene Change Threshold"? What should I set that to?

Comment

Working...