Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FieroGT
    • Jan 2003

sudden bad vid quality after a while

hey all, just started getting into the video capture/editing/encoding thing, and i must say i'm having fun, and learning alot. but having probs still. seems when i make a divx file, it will go threw the convertion ok, but when i go to watch it, seems that at some point about halfway threw the vid, the quality suddenly gets HORRIBLE, i've made multiple encodes, they all do it, and at different times... anyone know WHY?? using divx 5.0.3 with adobe premiere.... (512x384, 1pass, 3500kbps, quarter pix, gmc, and bi-dir all ON) cant think of why it would just change (good to bad qual) suddenly like that? thanx for the help in advance...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try playing your DivX-compressed .AVI starting somewhere in the middle of the file. If it doesn't exhibit the problem you've described, there's a good chance your system is overheating...

Comment

• FieroGT
      • Jan 2003

i tryed that, i can start anywhere, and it will always get bad qual at same time... tried various different players as well, also have reinstalled codec ... none has helped... i know system is stable also, can run for weeks without reboot, doing all kinda stuff, games, etc... also i encode the same video to a mpeg2 for svcd and it is ok every time....

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Experiment with a different DivX codec (e.g. v.3.11alpha)...

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Divx 5.03 itself is buggy.

At that bitrate 3500 kbps (which in my opinion is clearly overkill) you will see these problems you describe. Lower the bitrate to say 1500 kbps instead. At a bitrate of 1.5 mbps or higher, b-frames actually degrade quality. GMC can also cause problems.

Comment

• FieroGT
            • Jan 2003

ok, i do realize that 3500 was high, but the clip was short and i figured might as well get more qual, but if it makes it worse i can understand that... so i tried it at a lower rate, and sure enuf, no more probs.... i tried with and without the gmc on and no qual issues like before, you think i should still leave gmc off ? thanx for the help!

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

IF your bitrate and resolution is low GMC and B-Frames might be helpful. Though I think you can still do without GMC. Using q-pel has no benefit in most cases.

When you are capturing at say 1 mpbs+ or higher, B-frames, QPEL, and GMC in most cases are unecessary. You still might want to give b-frames a try (Depending on the movie it could improve/degrade qulaity at high bitrates.

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

DONT use 5.0.3 - this error has been reported more than once so far and the latest divx version seems to be crap!

uninstall it and use 5.0.2 instead - it is very good and reliable

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Originally posted by UncasMS
                  DONT use 5.0.3 - this error has been reported more than once so far and the latest divx version seems to be crap!
                  Gawd!!! What's wrong with this version now? (I'm doing my first encode with the codec on my secondary system and will find out what anyway . . .)

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Ok. I will give my share of problems.

The damned codec kept crashing on me. First pass would not complete, let alone the subsequent passes. That was using all the 3 MPEG-4 tools (these tools are there to be used, NOT disabled) and after attempting to repeat them for 3 times.

That's it. I'm sticking with XviD and 3.11.

Comment

• Batman
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2002

GKNOT is not compatible with DIVX 5.03 pro, you might have better luck using DVX.

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

I don't even use GK. I'm using custom-written Avisynth scripts.

Anyway, I'm happy enough with XviD, so I'm not going to let this bother me in the first place.

Comment

• techno
                          Digital Video Master
                          Digital Video Master
                          • Nov 2001

uninstall it and use 5.0.2 instead - it is very good and reliable
                          HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

also, if this doesn't solve it, make sure u have enough system resources, quite background apps etc...

Comment

Working...