Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patrickthebuff
    • Mar 2003

audio sounds like crap

I recently encoded "The Bourne Identity" into a divx video file and direct stream copied the audio from the vob. I then converted the AC3 to wav, and attempted to put together the video and wav files in virtualdub. In virtualdub, I set the audio compression to mp3 @ 128kbps (44100hz). The problem is, when I play the output file, the audio has a grainy sound to it. Sounds like vocals and some of the background music is fine, but things like wind, water, lightening, or explosions sound odd. I don't know how to describe it, but it's a very computery sound (remember nintendo?) The wav file sounds great before mixing, so something must be happening in virtual dub. The sound clears up a bit if I increase the bitrate, but it isn't just right, and the file size is huge. What is the problem? Is there any audio filter that I can use to fix this?
    By the way, the reason I didn't process the audio with the vid. in the first place was that I can't get any audio when I try a 2-pass divx 5.0.3 encoding in flask.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

why dont you use besweet to convert that ac3 to either mp3 or ogg vorbis?

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Seems to me the downsampling process did not perform to well, resulting in significant loss of sound data. I suggest you keep the original sampling rate of 48,000Hz.

Comment

Working...