Choppy AVI encoded from PAL interlaced DVD.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • punistation
    • Apr 2003

Choppy AVI encoded from PAL interlaced DVD.

I'm trying to encode an AVI from my PAL DVD. I've followed many a guide on using DVD2AVI, AviSynth and VirtualDub, and they've served me well... except there's a choppy playback issue.

The resulting AVI is lovely quality, but a tad choppy/jittery/stuttery. You only notice this when the camera sweeps across a scene. Here's the AVS script I used (the MPG2Dec.dll & decomb.dll are auto-loaded):

---------------------------------------------------------------
    mpeg2source("C:\DVD\D2V\WW01.d2v")
    Telecide()
    Decimate(mode=1)
    BicubicResize(448,336,0,1)

---------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what that Telecide and Decimate stuff means, but I got it from a guide that seemed to know what they were talking about. Plus, without those two lines, VirtualDub has the frame rate at 20fps. Lord knows why. I mean, the DVD vob's are 25fps interlaced, so why does VirtualDub open them and say they're 20fps?

Anyway, using the above script, I open my PAL DVD vob's in VirtualDub, apply a Brightness & SmartSmoother HQ filter, and off it goes. The resulting 2-pass AVI is nice (and 25fps), but it's still choppy.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Kisses XXOOXX
    Jen

• UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

i suggest to try again WITHOUT decimate!

telecide should do some de-interlacing for you, but decimate might be the scapegoat for the little stuttering effect as it blends frames together in mode (1).

i doubt decimate is useful for pal sources.

Comment

• neuron2
      • May 2003

Originally posted by UncasMS
      i doubt decimate is useful for pal sources.
      Actually, there is a situation where it is useful. Sometimes 24fps gets "telecined" up to 25fps PAL by duplicating a frame. In such cases you need Decimate(cycle=25)!

Comment

Working...