Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XyToPs
    • Mar 2002

compress several AVI files to one

I have several smaller files wich i want to join together to one big and compress everything to DivX.. The files are allready DivX compressed but in highest quality, so they are relative big. Also the sound is uncompressed, i want it as mp3. Is all that possible in VirtualDub and how to do it?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

load file number 1, append 2, 3, .....
    choose video as well as audio compression of your choice and save to new output filename

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

The files must be of identical format (compression, resolution, fps - to the fourth decimal place!, etc) for VirtualDub to accept them for appending as UncasMS proposes.

After you've loaded the first file, as you're attempting to append each succeeding file, if it's rejected by VirtualDub, write down everything stated about framerates (for both the initial file and the appended file), etc. If the differences are only decimal place differences regarding framerates, consider yourself lucky. Then all you'll have to do is:

1) Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

2) Under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Framerate", select "Change framerate to" and enter the rate for the first file with a fourth decimal place of zero

3) Load the first file and then save with a new filename. WITHOUT exiting, load (NOT "append") the second file and save with a new filename. Repeat for each segment.

4) Exit and restart VirtualDub

5) Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"

6) Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode".From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression". Select the MP3 rate you prefer.

7) Load the first file - and then go through the append sequence proposed by UncasMS

8) Save your combined file with a new filename

Let us know of your success ;>}
      Last edited by setarip; 4 Mar 2002, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• XyToPs
        • Mar 2002

After loading the AVI files the Compression under AUDIO is still faded.. i cant select it..

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Select Full Mode Processing for the audio tab.

Comment

• XyToPs
            • Mar 2002

ok thanx!

Comment

• XyToPs
              • Mar 2002

i'm now saving everything to a new file.. but it seems like it only saves the first one not all together.. i will just wait and see if maybe it starts compressing the second file and the rest in sequence..

btw.. where can i get some information about what DivX 1-Pass, 2-Pass, 2-Pass second pass is?
              Last edited by XyToPs; 5 Mar 2002, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/nandub.htm (SBC)

http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/DivxBeta.htm (DivX 4.x)

Basically, the first pass analyses the whole movie and creates a statistics (SBC) or log (DivX4) file, which will be used to determine bitrate allocation for the second pass. The first pass requires that you have applied all filter settings properly (cropping, resizing, deinterlacing, etc.). With those done, you can change the SBC options or the DivX4 encoding options how many times you want, after the first pass has been done.

Comment

• XyToPs
                  • Mar 2002

Setarip, thanx for your help.. It worked.. but all files had the same FPS so i didn't have to do all your steps..

Comment

Working...