2 Issues: Shrinking AVI's??? & Mixing in a separately encoded Mp3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poiuy
    • Jul 2002

2 Issues: Shrinking AVI's??? & Mixing in a separately encoded Mp3?

Hi all,
    Two questions for you:
    1) The by far the weirder of the two is that my AVI's actually shrink when I'm mixing in the audio/mp3 with VirtualDub. I rip with SmartRipper, yank out the audio with GraphEdit, encode the video with DivX 5.02 Pro (spyware disabled, thankyouverymuch) and mpeg2avi 0.1.6 (2-pass, 860kbs). Everything going beautifully - Sopranos Season 2, shooting for 350 megs for a 50 minute episode. The video only compressed AVI is 321megs - which leaves plenty of room for the audio encoded at 96-112kbs. Good so far.
    Then, when I fire up VirtualDub 1.4c to compress the wav into an Mp3 and put it together with the video - I get a good looking AVI of the episode. But, even encoding the audio at 112kbs the final file size is 244megs!!! Does anyone have a clue what's going on here?
    2) I'd like to compress the wav file using LAME (settings "--r3mix" best settings I've seen so far. Check out www.r3mix.net) and then put the two files together for two reasons. First, these settings give incredible sound quality. Second, LAME is faster when run through RazorLame. Now, VirtualDub takes only about two minutes to put the files together (audio - direct stream copy - wav audio) - but when I play it there's no audio! Any ideas? Am I doing this wrong? Is there a setting I've missed?
    Okay, thx in advance all,
    poiuy
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

- are you sure you set audio AND video to direct strem when muxing your mp3 and avi file?

- use nandub instead of VD

Comment

• poiuy
      • Jul 2002

Positive that both were set to direct stream copy for the mp3 and video file.

Namdub is that much better? Sure, I'll give it a shot.

Any ideas as to how to handle the shrinking AVI problem?

Comment

Working...