Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idontno
    • Jun 2006

Is it safe to delete PGC's and VTS's?

DVD ReMake Pro gives you the option to delete PGC's and even entire VTS's.

If I've killed playback of some or all PGC's in a domain is it safe to delete these as long as none of the commands are called on by another PGC?

Seems like it would make for a cleaner DVD to delete all this unused crap.

• blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

If a PGC is uncalled or a VTS is unreferenced, they can be deleted. DVDRMP can do this while adjusting all the references.

PgcEdit has a handy one click method of doing this - get the latest beta in the sticky and read the guide.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• idontno
      • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by blutach
      If a PGC is uncalled or a VTS is unreferenced, they can be deleted. DVDRMP can do this while adjusting all the references.

PgcEdit has a handy one click method of doing this - get the latest beta in the sticky and read the guide.

Regards

Thanx for pointing me to the updates. I haven't been around for a while, so I missed them. They came at just the right time. And thanx for the very nice guide. It's almost like it was written just for me.

And MANY thanx to r0lZ for addressing my suggestion for restoring VOB's.

Last edited by idontno; 16 Dec 2006, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• r0lZ
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Mar 2004

r0lZ
        PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
        Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• idontno
          • Jun 2006

I think the references to the PGC's I killed playback on must still be there, because the blank PGC's are still there.

I have the buttons jump to a non-deleted button. Should I give them a NOP status or find the calling command in the PGC that has the buttons and delete any calls to these blank PGC's?

I can delete them with DVDRMP but it freaks out the menus and I end up with an infinite loop or a lock-up.

Comment

• r0lZ
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Mar 2004

No. The command that enables the jump to a non-deleted button jumps to the beginning of the the same cell. Remove Uncalled PGCs discards the references to the same PGC, so that's not the problem.

If the PGC is marked as 'uncalled' by the Find uncalled PGC function, then it should be removed automatically. (However, there are some cases where it is not possible to delete it, for example if there are several LUs in the menu and the LUs doesn't have the same structure.)

Also, your post isn't very clear. When you say "the blank PGC's are still there", do you mean that it is still present in the IFOs, or the cell wasn't removed from the VOB files by FixVTS or VobBlanker? In the latter case, the same VOB cell is probably reused in another PGC of the same domain. Check them all...
            r0lZ

Comment

• idontno
              • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by r0lZ
              Also, your post isn't very clear. When you say "the blank PGC's are still there", do you mean that it is still present in the IFOs, or the cell wasn't removed from the VOB files by FixVTS or VobBlanker? In the latter case, the same VOB cell is probably reused in another PGC of the same domain. Check them all...
              Hey! I thought this was MY Thread... Read rule # 18

Anyway, the blank PGC's are the previews I killed. But as you can see, 2 of them were still called (36 and 37), (31 - 34) were not called but are still present...

And Title 36 called VMGM PGC 39...

Which in turn called Title 37...

Now if I get rid of these VMGM calls, will that make the Title PGC's, and even the entire domain for that matter, deletable?

Last edited by idontno; 19 Dec 2006, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• r0lZ
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Mar 2004

@ idontno

Well, killing playback of a PGC doesn't mean that it becomes uncalled. The PGC is still called, but its video content is not played. That's very different. You cannot remove a PGC that is called, even if it has been killed. To make it uncalled, you have to manually modify the calling command(s) to redirect it (them) elsewhere.

BTW, Jump2PGC Upon DVD Insert can, in some cases, make the PGCs that are normally played first uncalled, as this function skips everything up to its target point. (You need the latest beta for that!)

Anyway, as I said above, you can be sure that a PGC is uncalled by using Info -> Find Uncalled PGCs.
                r0lZ

Comment

• idontno
                  • Jun 2006

Do you mean like here in VMGM 2, redirect these? To where?...

Comment

• r0lZ
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Mar 2004

idontno, "to where" is the question! You have to understand the structure of your DVD to do that, and verify if everything works well.
                    Usually, it is sufficient to clone the last command of the called PGC, to go where that PGC should return normally. But that's not a rule! You might have to modify several GPRMs as well, or even go elsewhere.

My advice: don't touch those killed PGCs. Just use VobBlanker or FixVTS to remove the video contents, and leave them in place. Without the VOBs, they are very small!
                    r0lZ

Comment

• idontno
                      • Jun 2006

@r0lZ

I know the blank VOB's are small. I just wanted to have as clean a DVD as possible.

Also, with some DVD's, after I kill all I want, during playback it jumps around thru a gazillion PGC's before it starts playing. Annoying to sit and wait 5-7 seconds for playback to start.

I'm gonna take your advice tho, but I'm still gonna mess around with the commands on an old DVD that I've already finished.

Thanx

Comment

• Calimari
                        • Oct 2006

idontno, to continue with your thread (sorry about that),
                        see http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/p..._new_macro.htm

Also already finished dvd's can be done. Rip them in file mode and load them in PgcEdit to modify the ISO's. As no audio is removed and no video needs to be compressed, the end-size will be the same.

Comment

• blutach
                          Not a god of digital video
                          • Oct 2004

Don't delete the blanked VTSs which are still called as they may contain other commands that are necessary (eg stream and register setting). Of course, if you imitate ALL these commands somewhere else (possibly a new PGC in VMGM) and divert your DVD that way, it will be the same, but do check that all references are redone to the new PGC.

If you use the Jump to PGC macro you might find afterwards some more PGCs/VTSs are uncalled. But in your situation, you have calls from a long PGC in VMGM which are unlikely to be eliminated.

There is no harm in keeping these VTSs and risk in eliminating them. Thoroughly test if you want a "clean structure".

Regards
                          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• spyhawk
                            • Mar 2004

@idontno, as you want to be a perfectionist, you need to learn the DVD structure and its commands. There is no shortcuts. dvd-replica is one good site for reading material. The basic concept is really not that difficult. At least it's a lot easier than differential calculus, physics and organic chemistry, IMHO.

I would use DvdRemake Pro and PgcEdit for this task: DvdReMake Pro for all the main editing (esp. deletions of PGCs and VTS) and PgcEdit for its abundant useful functions. Once you understand all this stuff, you don't even use the Jump to PGC macro anymore, provided that you have time to mess around.

Comment

• Calimari
                              • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by spyhawk
                              Once you understand all this stuff, you don't even use the Jump to PGC macro anymore,
                              Why not? It's there to make life easier, and eliminating the risk that you forget something or produce errors.

Comment

Working...