• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codajohn
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2005

VHS to DVD

I recently had my brother-in-law transfer my family movies over to DVD. I'm not sure the brand of machine he used. It's old.
    His burned files looked like this this:

Unfortunately, he also forgot to transfer a couple of the tapes. I decided to purchase a SonyRDR-VX530 to get the job done. Here is how the Sony-530 disks looked:

I was able to take his disks and with DVDD rip in File Mode. I then used Shrink and Imgburn.
    As you can see there are no .BUP or .IFO files for each VOB. burned with the Sony. It also seems that I recorded the same files twice. I tried again last night with the same no BUP and IFO results.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong in the transferring process? I have read the manual and it make no reference to BUP or IFO. One thought was to return the machine and have my brother-in-law finish the job. Or is there a software that will create the BUP/IFO files?
    Thanks All
    Last edited by codajohn; 8 Jan 2007, 10:53 PM.
    CJ
    My DVD Collection
    Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning
  • MikeyBK
    Digital Video Maniac
    • Feb 2006

The first screenshot shows IFO' and BUP' for each VOB because they are all seperate titles, the second screenshot only has two seperate titlesets, thus only those IFOs and BUPs.

Doesn't the burned disc play OK?
    MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
    Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
    ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
    XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
    Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
    Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
    *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
    *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Calimari
      • Oct 2006

Seems Ok to me. Not every VOB needs an IFO and a BUP. A VTS needs those, the VOB's are between the IFO and the BUP. In your first picture, you see each VTS has one VOB. In the second picture, there are less VTS's but each VTS has more VOB's. There's nothing wrong with that, it depends on how many titles you created and how long they are.

You don't have to worry. Does the disc play fine on an standalone and on your pc?

Comment

• codajohn
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Jul 2005

The two originally burned from my brother are very, very jumpy.
        Bad media!
        I made a copy of his burn. No auto start in standalone (older Marantz), but will play when play button is pressed after pressing stop button.
        The 5 coasters I made last night would not play on standalone. Standalone error message "Check Disk."
        It seems his DVD structure allows Shrink to create an .ISO and be played on a standalone.
        CJ
        My DVD Collection

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Comment

• r0lZ
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Mar 2004

IMO, you should recreate completely a new compilation with Shrink in re-author mode, and burn it properly on good media.
          r0lZ
          PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
          Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• codajohn
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Jul 2005

Thanks r0lZ,
            I tried to re-author last night. Shrink only had a couple of Chapter files listed. The file sizes were all the same (250mb). The vobs listed in the ripped folder are much bigger. I didn't continue that route. Was I missing something at that point?
            I'm still puzzeled why my rip/burn didn't have the BUP and IFO for each VOB.
            Unfortunatly, I'm at work and not able to be hands on with this problem. I'll try again when I get home.
            Thanks for responding
            Last edited by codajohn; 9 Jan 2007, 04:59 AM.
            CJ
            My DVD Collection

Comment

• r0lZ
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Mar 2004

There are no missing IFOs or BUPs. As explained above, there is only one IFO (and its backup BUP) per VTS (aka titleset). For example, VTS_01_0.VOB upto VTS_01_9.VOB are all parts of VTS 01, and need only VTS_01_0.IFO.

Not sure why you have only small chapters in Shrink. Have you verified the content with the preview?
              r0lZ

Comment

• codajohn
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Jul 2005

I understand the BUP and IFO situation. Sorry for the newbie. Don't know why the small file sizes as well.
                I'll try to re-author when I get home. I'll post any error messages.
                Thanks again
                Last edited by codajohn; 9 Jan 2007, 05:40 AM.
                CJ
                My DVD Collection

Comment

• codajohn
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jul 2005

Here are the files burned by my brother. Ripped with DVDD opened in Shrink Re-author. They also open in"Full Disk" as well.

Here are my files ripped by DVDD and opened in Shrink Re-author.

I get this error message when in "Full Disk" mode.

My files are about 6GBs, but hardly any of it shows in Shrink. I'm completely confused. I can view the all vob files with Nero Show, Power DVD and VLC Player.
                  CJ
                  My DVD Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2004

When you have a lot of video clips like you do when you go to author with shrink ....shrink will pick the largest files and call them " main movie" and all of the smaller files shrink will call them ..."extra's"

when you go to back them up on one disc drop and drage or double click them in the order you want them to play in.

So if you want them to play in the order of say 1-7 make sure that you put them in the main box in that order.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Nov 2004

whenever i do a vhs-dvd rip, i always use dvdlab-pro to re-do the audio format, add menus etc.
                      just by running your rip through dvdlab-pro, it usually fixes any navigation, authoring, structure etc problems automatically. - worth a look

a little info about dvdlab-pro :
                      not freeware many features not easy to use at 1st

Comment

• r0lZ
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Mar 2004

You can also use FixVTS to repair your original DVD rip. It is free, and very easy to use!
                        r0lZ

Comment

• codajohn
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Jul 2005

@MikeyBK
                          @Calimari
                          The original Video I plays on a standalone. However, it’s very jumpy. This is the reason I ripped/recoded/burned the files over to a better media. I was able to rip with DVDD/Shrink and Imgburn Video I files with no problem. The TY02 media doesn’t skip or jump in the standalone.
                          The Video II disk, I’m not sure if I actually tried it in a standalone. These files were burned using the Sony 530 DVD/VHS recorder. I will have to try it later in a standalone. I've been focused on solving this problem, I forgot to check. If you look closely at the Video I picture, all the files in the Video I folder ( to the right) show up in the Shrink Re-author window. However, in the 2nd picture all the Video II files in the Shrink re-author window do not show up. There are over 6GBs in the Video II folder. Strange?

@PA
                          The same problem with all the files of Video II not showing in the re-author window applies.
                          I know I only had the smaller files in the compilation window, but I had put all the files in and they still didn’t add-up the the total size of the Video II folder. I can’t explain why the files are not showing in the Shrink Re-author window.

@Experi-Mentor
                          Thanks for the software info.

@r0lZ
                          FixVTS! Hummmmm......
                          I’ll try this tonight.
                          Maybe the Sony 530 encrypts the burned files? The manual mentions that “if the 530 detects a security signal it won’t allow burning.” I know this is not the case here, but.....?
                          My brother’s machine is much older. Pre DVD backup technology. Not Sony either.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate your time and knowledge.
                          Last edited by codajohn; 10 Jan 2007, 07:09 AM.
                          CJ
                          My DVD Collection

Comment

• MikeyBK
                            Digital Video Maniac
                            • Feb 2006

What seems strange about your Video I and Video II screenshots from Shrink is that Video I show titles 1-8, but in Video II it shows title 1, 13,14, 26???

Are you sure these are from the same source?
                            MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
                            Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
                            ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
                            Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
                            XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
                            Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
                            Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
                            *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
                            *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• codajohn
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Jul 2005

Two different sources.
                              CJ
                              My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...