X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kangated
    • Apr 2003

DVD-RW and SVCD

Hi One and All,
    Discovered by sheer accident the ability of certain home DVD players to read DVD-RW media with multiple SVCD files (mpg format) burnt onto them.
    I had backed up a series of my daughter's DVD's to SVCD format using DVD2SVCD. These are Disney type stuff and were (as would be expected) becoming scratched and damaged with the frequent use and mishandling. I mean I don't have eyes in the back of ym head after all !
    Anyway DVD2SVCD created them nicely and whilst I could burn them onto multiple CD's for most films I would then be faced with the screams as the generic "INSERT DISC 2" message came up all day long so I let her continue using the source DVD's.
    The other day I backed up these MPG files onto a DVD-RW, straight data file method nothing fancy.
    Out of curiosity I put the DVD-RW into the Hyundau 360A player and waited. Eventually it came up with a menu display showing the 3 SVCD films I had put onto this one DVD-RW media !!
    You can select all or 1 specific random or continuous play of all 3 films ! This is absolutely fan-bloody-tastic !!!!
    Okay maybe everyone knew this already BUT I didn't !!!!!

But now what puzzles me is why this only works with DVD-RW ?

I copied the DVD-RW onto a DVD-R and whilst the files are seen and can be accessed on my computer, the DVD player will not see them nor open the DVD-R with it's menu system.

I beleiev this is something to do with what Pioneer and Panasonic call "VR" mode (video record) on their home DVD burner system.

Can someone enlighten me as to why this is so or point me to an article describing why it is so ?

Thanks

Kangated, Melbourne , Australia
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Have you been successful at playing back ANY DVD-Rs (not limited to copies of SVCDs) on your Hyundai 360A?

If the answer is "Yes", did you use the IDENTICAL DVD-R media (brand and speed rating) as you have for this experiment?

Comment

• kangated
      • Apr 2003

Yes and No (I think).
      The DVD-RW media was a USA made no-name that has had a spectacular "screw you" rate ! (You gets whats you pay for !!)

Burns at 2x speed whereas the DVD-R was "Compro" from asia which one of the major maunfacturer's actually ships with it's drives and it burnt by default at 6x.

The DVD-R media I have used for al sorts of backup attempts and data downloads.

Speed wise I have allowed Nero to set the burning speed.

I think I understand why you are asking the question but I really do believe it is something to do with DVD standards and this VR mode compatability.

Then again I have been wrong before today (hell I originally bought a Pioneer A03 drive for gosh sakes and what a great piece of "Coffee Coaster" construction tool that turned out to be !

Interested to hear if you or anyone else has succeeded in burning mutiple MPG's to DVD-R and have had success in playing them back

Cheers

KangaTed

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"The DVD-R media I have used for al sorts of backup attempts and data downloads."

I'm sorry, I guess I should have been more specific:

Have you used these same DVD-Rs to successfully burn, and playback on your Hyundai, backups of commercial movie DVDs?

Comment

• kangated
          • Apr 2003

Yep - can't be more succint than that can I
          Have used DVD-XCopy on this media before and it plays A-OK.

KangaTed

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

Interested to hear if you or anyone else has succeeded in burning mutiple MPG's to DVD-R and have had success in playing them back
            yap

i successfully tested this yesterday.

i used dvdlab to author/compile the new dvd.

it had nothing to do with rw or not.

should you be interested in copying your svcd to dvd i would strongly suggest you tried dvdlab.

easy to use, very fast and successful *conversion*
            (actually there is no conversion taking place of course but only some file patching)

Comment

• kangated
              • Apr 2003

Thanks for the advice =- I am trying that as we speak.
              Looks good but first attempt the vob files played back too quickly - any ideas on that ?

KangaTed

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

the vobs are playing from WHERE - pc?
                how exactly did you go about?

Comment

• kangated
                  • Apr 2003

i burnt the first dvd with 4 SVCD films onto the DVD-RW and then went to play it through the computer.
                  If I manually start the VOB's through Power DVD they just race through in high speed.

I did it as basically as the tutorial suggested

Any clues

KangaTed

Comment

• corf
                    • Jun 2003

I would like to point out that I don't believe there are any 6x DVD-rw writers released.

Infact I will say that there will never be 6x writers it will jump up to 8x which will have writing speeds of 1x,2x,4x and 8x.

However DVD recorders do have a high speed dubbing mode - whatever this does which I have seen quoted upto 12x but I don't think it does burn disks at 12x.

Especially as there are only 4x DVDr's out.

Comment

• kangated
                      • Apr 2003

Ummm yeah right - did you misread what I wrote ?
                      I was referring to I used the product to build a SINGLE DVD-R which contained 4 different mpeg streams which were the result of DVD2SVCD extraction. Four films on 1 DVD-R.
                      I have since created a playable DVD-R and it works absolutely perfectly.

This is a great product combined with DVD2SVCD to make a single DVD for my daughter so she has
                      (a) selection of films on 1 media
                      (b) I don;t constantly get interrupted having to change to DISC 2 on the SVCD's.

Shame that forums seem to suggest it is buggy at this time.
                      As a fully developed product I would be greatly interested in it

Comment

• peweherman
                        • Jul 2003

i have a pacific dvd player from asda and i backup all my mpeg2 files onto 1 dvd-r disk with no problems reads all ok on my home dvd player.recently i have been using the dvdbuilder part of easy cd creator 6 to make a dvd of these mpeg files and all of my dvd-r have worked on all the dvd players that i have had even older models. if you use tmpg and convert any avi to mpeg2 say 1.5gb you can then store 3 fil titles on 1 dvd-r

Comment

Working...