Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gogo
    • Jul 2003

Nero Recode - free "nul" screens here!

Nero's free Recode, designed in large part by DVDShrink, implements a new feature that allows the user to replace an unwanted extra with a bmp image. The bmp image is sustained for the length of however long the original (deleted) segment was, so as to preserve the disc's structure and menus and so forth.

The "nul screen" bmp that comes included with Recode is a rather elaborate image - a filmstrip and lens flare and an English text message that says "The video has been removed."

It has been noted that this image is so elaborate that it ends up using quite a bit of space. Since you can select a new bmp image, some have chosen to use a solid black image. I do not like that idea, because with a solid black screen one never knows if their DVD player has just failed to get to the extra, or what. Therefore...

I've created two images I hope some may like even better - two variations on the universal "circle with a crossout through it", in dark grey on a solid black background. This should appeal to all languages. The variant bmp offers the same image, with the single simple word "DELETED" written over it (in the tall, narrow movie poster font typeface, which seemed appropriate and neutral looking, and somewhat dignified). I've also made a green screen based on the theatrical green-band trailers (the ones that say "the following preview has been approved for all audiences by the motion picture blah blah blah of america").

The bmps are zipped together into this tiny zip file (tiny because they're nearly solid black images). Please feel free to take these and put them in your folder and use them when you want. Perhaps some sites can start making collections of these nul screens. They're free for all. And I expect they'll also be needed for the next release of DVDShrink.

Download free nul screens (click here)

One small caviat: I am not yet familiar enough with this feature to know whether this 4:3 image (the bmp image is the exact same dimensions as the default image; I simply copied the default image and then redid it) gets stretched when it is used to replace anamorphic extras... I don't know the details of how this works.
    Last edited by gogo; 3 Aug 2003, 06:43 AM.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

excellent idea!

my proposal:

download the BMP-file here:

Object_Removed.zip

Comment

Working...