Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrif
    • Sep 2003

Tip for Newbies - From a Newbie

Not sure if alot of you are doing this (nor have I seen reference to this in the forums)....anyway

Whenever I get ready to burn a DVD I use a DVD+RW. I burn the backup to the DVD+RW, then check it in my Home DVD player to make sure it plays correctly. When I know it works from the DVD+RW, I then burn it to a DVD-R.

Just make sure your DVD player supports DVD+RW (this can be found out here http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers)

This may save us 'newbies' a coaster or two. Granted, it does take extra time, but @ approx $2-3 per DVD-r (Canada), its worth it.
  • Oriphus
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Aug 2003

Why do you burn it to a DVD+RW then burn it to a DVD-R when it works?? That doesnt make sense. Minus and plus are not both guaranteed to work.
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• scrif
      • Sep 2003

"Why do you burn it to a DVD+RW then burn it to a DVD-R when it works??"

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post ( I thought I was) A DVD+RW can be written to MANY times. So, by burning the backup to a DVD+RW, then testing it in my Home DVD player I know that the movie works, looks the way I want, and whether the quality is decent. I then burn the same backup to a DVD-R and am assured that it will work and look the way I want in my DVD player. And hey, guess what? I can then re-use the DVD+RW for my next backup project.

"That doesnt make sense. Minus and plus are not both guaranteed to work."

Ummm, see the link I posted...

Comment

• WildmanJoe
        • Jan 2003

Minus and plus are not both guaranteed to work.
        I think what Oriphus meant is that both +R and -R are two entirely different formats. Although your DVD Player may support both formats, the burning process is diffferent for both formats. That is why there are dual-format burner these days. Your DVD+R/-R may burn the +RW correctly but it might not be able to do the same for the -R.

Comment

• scrif
          • Sep 2003

Yes, and I will post this link again, as no-one has been listening:

This link was posted so that people, who wish to try the burning method I mentioned, could verify that their DVD player would in fact support the stated formats.

Comment

• DVDIdiot
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Oct 2002

scrif, I do understand you completely. You're right about this...If it works on your DVD+RW or DVD-RW, then it should work on DVD+R or DVD-R if your home alone DVD player supports it.

This TIPS is worth a million dollars...
            Thanks for the BIG TIPS!!!
            DVD Step-by-Step Guides
            http://dvdplanet.fateback.com

Comment

• WildmanJoe
              • Jan 2003

This TIPS is worth a million dollars...
              As far as I recall, didn't you say that you would never use this forum again DVDIdiot. This was after your DVDShrink guide got shot down like a turkey right?

Comment

• Oriphus
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Aug 2003

Your point of burning onto DVD+RW doesnt make sense either. Say your DVD+RW doesnt work, do you automatically assume that the DVD+R or -R doesnt work? I really cant see any benefit of doing it this way

Comment

• scrif
                  • Sep 2003

Wow!

Oriphus, I have seen your replies to several different posts and it's pretty clear that you have nothing better to do than post senseless babble to just about any topic. Why must you come in here and watse peoples time with your unjustified, uninformed, and worthless comments. I am not alone in thinking this either (do a seacrh on your name and see what I mean).

If you don't have anything positive or constructive to say, then stop filling up Digital-Digest's web space with your crap......please/thanks.

Comment

• DVDIdiot
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Oct 2002

WildmanJoe,

Who told you that I would never use this FORUM? I love this FORUM so that I can't live without... I would never use dvdrhelp & doom9 forum ever again...but what's it to you if I use this or any other forums? Do you have anything against me that I should know about!!!

Just because of people like you, I've decided to take off most of my FREE GUIDES off my site. I was trying to set all my step by step guides for FREE, but people like you had forced me to take them off. But I still have step by step on DVD-5 & DVD-9
                    Where would you find a guide that would walk you step by step with all pics and hold your hand at the same time???? I tell you what, 'cause you've pissed me off, I'm taking these guides off too. I will to it tonight or SUNDAY nite.

Why am I here, I'm here to help people that needed help. Not here to be a racist like you. Why don't you & Oriphus take a look at your posts. If you don't have any tips technical help, then leave. Don't just come here to put negative on people.
                    DVD Step-by-Step Guides
                    http://dvdplanet.fateback.com

Comment

• Oriphus
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Aug 2003

ZZZZzzzzzZZZZZ

Wow!

Oriphus, I have seen your replies to several different posts and it's pretty clear that you have nothing better to do than post senseless babble to just about any topic. Why must you come in here and watse peoples time with your unjustified, uninformed, and worthless comments. I am not alone in thinking this either (do a seacrh on your name and see what I mean).

If you don't have anything positive or constructive to say, then stop filling up Digital-Digest's web space with your crap......please/thanks.
                      Would that which you have said not be pointless. I'll guarantee I know a lot more about DVD R than you do, for sure! So maybe you can get back on your high horse and trot on out of here with your 12 posts, all of which are questions about stuff you dont know!! I suppose your DVD website gets 2.6Million hits a month. No??? Oh that must be mine then? Maybe you should take a look at http://forums.afterdawn.com and see if i am useless!

One last thing, your original tip is still pretty useless, even for a newbie. Sine RW reacts differently in DVD Players, and the website you indicated is based on opinions rather than factual from a company (though it is a great utility), the whole idea of first burning a movie to a DVD RW to test it makes me laugh. Maybe when your a bit older you might look back and realise what an ass you are. I wont be replying to this thread and have unsubscribed from it, so i dont care what your reply will be Have a nice day

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

Please keep this discussion civil and not let it turn into a flame war.
                        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

Otherwise, I might have to ban players and dock points or something

(small in joke for those following the soccer thread)
                          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Tanglefoot
                            • Sep 2003

Hi folks. On a different topic, I would like some information (assistance) on how to convert a bin file movie to avi or mpeg format.
                            I am a beginner to this, and this is one format which has stumped me.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2001

bin is an image format
                              burn or extract it with e.g. alcohol120%, daemon tools, isobuster,....

Comment

Working...