X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gravity
    • Feb 2004

Roxio

Hi.
    I agree, i prefer the Roxio software too.
    Is there anyone out there who knows how to burn a dvd after it is shrinked?
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

Your rig's spec.'s are okay but what about your burner/reader?

Some of the posters have burned hundreds of playabled dvd movies.....some a 1,000 or more. Some of the posters use freeware and save $$$'s and buy more movies and then show our friends how to burn with freeware and then they save $$$'s and then they can buy more dvd movies (and then we share our dvd movie back-ups and we be less unhappy with high cost of dvd movies.

If you want to rip and burn playable dvd movies, you be in the right place. So what kind of heat you be packing, be it a Pioneer or an MPAA Sony, or what?

Do we know how to burn a dvd...is that a trick question?

We have some fun, too, can't you tell?
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Gravity
      • Feb 2004

I have a NEC dvd +&-
      I have burded a dvd with RecordNow MAX, but how do i get a mediaplayer to play it?
      I just wantet someone to explain how i can burn in Roxio Easy cd&dvd Creator..

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

If the dvd burner didn't come with a cd rom dvd player software, you'll need to find some software dvd player somewhere. There was a freewaare dvd software player called eugene's player....I don't have a link, but you could try Doom9.org or .net for a lead/link....lot of people buy windvd or powerdvd. And even have extra dvd player software.

I don't want to offend you unduly but Roxio to most people is something that doesn't work well. There are very good rippers/burners which are freewares (free) which you can download....such as dvddecrypter v. 3.1.9.0, DVDShrink v. 3.0 Beta 5 and v. 3.1.5 Beta 4 and also an ISO maker IMG Tools Classic v. 0.91.1. With this combination (all free), you can rip and burn 98% of all commercial dvd movies.

If you'd like help with these all you have to is ask and e be glad to help. I don't know if anybody here know how to use Roxio that can guide you, but do try.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Mig$y
          Retired
          • Jan 2004

As usual QP has hit the nail on the head.... Roxio sucks!

I got it a few weeks back and I couldn't find a way to send my Shrunk files to DVD either.

Comment

• ronaldb1
            • Feb 2004

I have just recently started burning DVD's.
            But this weekend I had good success using Roxio Easy CD/DVD Copier 6.2 with two movies. I tried using Roxio because it came with my Sony burner.
            1. Rip with DVD Shrink (DVDD wasn't needed).
            2. Burn with Roxio.
            To: Gravity- Steps for Roxio below-
            1. From Roxio Main Menu -Choose Disc Copier
            2. For Source - from dropdown choose 'DVD-video Content'
            You then get an Explorer type window.
            3. Select the Video-TS folder created from using Shrink.
            Don't worry about selecting any of the files shown-
            4. Just Hit the 'Select' button in lower right corner.
            5. For Dest - select your dvd burner.
            6. Insert blank DVD and off it goes.
            Hope this helps...
            Ron...
            Last edited by ronaldb1; 25 Feb 2004, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Gravity
              • Feb 2004

Roxi - Play?

Hey Man. Tnhx! That was easy. But how do I get a player to play this disc. Eg mediaplayer, winamp... ?

Comment

• jonss
                • Jan 2004

I read where someone posted that Roxio sucks. I have not used Roxio software since their Adaptec days and back then it was murder. Conflicted with almost any other burning tool on the computer. I'm reading many threads in many forums that report similar conflicts with the later offering. Almost everywhere I go I read posts from people having difficulty as Roxio stuff runs in the background and is quite invasive. At present I have 14 burners/dvd copying programs on my system all running without conflict. I don't think I'll be risking installing Roxio.

Comment

• ronaldb1
                  • Feb 2004

Gravity-you can play the dvd on a dvd player. On the pc - PowerDvd came with my Sony burner and works fine. Also windows media player 9 on Win XP works good. You can read/play the files made by Shrink and you can even jump to 'chapters'.

Jonss- I don't have any other burner software except my backup program by Veritas (now Stomp). I have used Roxio Direct CD for a long time and like it. Roxio version 6 seems to be pretty smooth, but I bet it would conflick if you have another power dvd burner program installed. I don't, so the DVDD/Shrink and Roxio combo seems to be working for me. I probably do need to test the burned dvd's on some other players sometime.
                  Ron...
                  ps-I have burned dvd+r and dvd+rw.
                  Last edited by ronaldb1; 25 Feb 2004, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

Well, the thread was 2 weeks old and quiet, and someone is "digging up bones".......the freeware solutions do usually make ~ or = burns when compared to the very best commercial ($$$'s) commercial DVD back-up softwares. Most of the posters have some sort of commercial dvd burning software. Some of us have, in point of fact, several commercial dvd burning softwares. The consensus of many of us is that most of the commercial dvd movie back-up software is significantly flawed and therefore somewhat worthless, at best.

If you would use the freeware burning solutions, you might be glad ,and we would help you to understand how to do so. Many posters have used the commercial solutions and they did not work as well as the freewares mentioned do.

The freewares do not interfere unduly with other software (or O.S.'s) either, whereas some of the commercial softwares can cause deletion of O.S. dll's. libraries, etc., which can cause much problems with using other softwares.

And, yes, as Mig$y and jonss said (and I did), ROXIO : SUX, as far as very good quality burning of DVD/R's goes. We are honest to you.

I and the others haven't been "dissin" Roxio.......Roxio, itself, has done that. What we have said is, there is a better burning software, which is easier to learn , better video quality, is more dependable and won't mess up your O.S. (98, XP, etc.). And at least one of those burning software solutions is a freeware (free). These freeware solutions are easier to learn than most people understand, as there are now some very easy to understand guides on the 'net.

We are only wanting you not to waste your time, effort and money by using commercial softwares, which will fail you, as they also did to us. If you are going to do many dvd movie back-ups, you will eventually have to learn the "freeware" methods, anyhow.
                    Rig :

Comment

• ronaldb1
                      • Feb 2004

Q.P.-- Thanks for the info.
                      I was digging around here as I have just gotten started with burning dvd's.
                      I have found the freeware for ripping (DVDD and Shrink). They are great (I really do need to made a donation!) and I am doing ok with them. But help - what is the name of the freewares for the burning???
                      Thanks... Ron...

Comment

• Gravity
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ronaldb1
                        I have just recently started burning DVD's.
                        But this weekend I had good success using Roxio Easy CD/DVD Copier 6.2 with two movies. I tried using Roxio because it came with my Sony burner.
                        1. Rip with DVD Shrink (DVDD wasn't needed).
                        2. Burn with Roxio.
                        To: Gravity- Steps for Roxio below-
                        1. From Roxio Main Menu -Choose Disc Copier
                        2. For Source - from dropdown choose 'DVD-video Content'
                        You then get an Explorer type window.
                        3. Select the Video-TS folder created from using Shrink.
                        Don't worry about selecting any of the files shown-
                        4. Just Hit the 'Select' button in lower right corner.
                        5. For Dest - select your dvd burner.
                        6. Insert blank DVD and off it goes.
                        Hope this helps...
                        Ron...
                        About step 2. For Source.. I only get the options of my dvd burner, I don't get the option on choosing my Video-ts folder..

Comment

• sfheath
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Sep 2003

Ronaldb1: if you have the latest DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter you can use the ISO file format to transfer between the two and Decrypter will burn the full DVD file structure to a blank DVD.
                          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• tkolarik
                            • Mar 2004

Gravity.....

If you don't see that choice, or DVD Image file, you probably don't have Easy DVD/CD updated to Disk Copier 6.2. You'll need to go to the Roxio website, download and install the updates.

Luck!

Comment

• Billy_Black
                              • Mar 2004

Well, the thread was 2 weeks old and quiet, and someone is "digging up bones".......the freeware solutions do usually make ~ or = burns when compared to the very best commercial ($$$'s) commercial DVD back-up softwares. Most of the posters have some sort of commercial dvd burning software. Some of us have, in point of fact, several commercial dvd burning softwares. The consensus of many of us is that most of the commercial dvd movie back-up software is significantly flawed and therefore somewhat worthless, at best.
                              Well I got to jump in on this one. Commercial products far from being worthless, provide the best resultant video quality. InstantCopy 8 (if it plays nice on your system) and InterVideo's DVD Copy produce much better video that DVD Shrink when you get into the 50 to 70% range. A three hour movie can look good or a full 8G DVD will still hold up.

Pinnacle is currently offering IC8 for $29 (a very small upfront cost if you prefer high quality with no macro blockiness or pixilation), and a free trial is available. It is very easy to keep/drop things and still have a menu if you so desire without any special tricks. InterVideo is a bit pricey, but they too offer a free trial. You will need a ripper though with DVD Decrypter being a good choice.

For going from about 5.5G to 4.3G Shrink is fine, and I admire the tight code, frequent updates, and that it's free, but almost all of the commercial products produce better vid quality.

Comment

Working...