Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IPAQ
    • Jun 2004

DVD decrypter and DVD shrink

I here a lot of poeple say how good this program is but I do not see that, it does not work, I have burnt about 5 DVDs and none of them work on my JVC TH-A75R even in the manual it says that you can use DVD-R, yes they will work on code free DVD players can someone give me what to do so I can injoy it like everyone else I select the right regin what is wrong
    can I make my JVC code free then it would solve this problem any one
    Last edited by IPAQ; 27 Jun 2004, 05:17 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

The problem is most likely media incompatability.

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Comment

• Dimmer
      • Jun 2004

Re: DVD decrypter and DVD shrink

Originally posted by IPAQ
      I here a lot of poeple say how good this program is but I do not see that, it does not work, I have burnt about 5 DVDs and none of them work on my JVC TH-A75R even in the manual it says that you can use DVD-R, yes they will work on code free DVD players can someone give me what to do so I can injoy it like everyone else I select the right regin what is wrong
      can I make my JVC code free then it would solve this problem any one
      First of all, these are two different programs that can be set up to work together. DVD Shrink compresses the DVD to fit onto a DVD-5. DVD Decrypter reads and optionally writes DVD from/to the DVD drive.

All recordable DVD are always region-free.

Comment

• IPAQ
        • Jun 2004

how can I make it not region free so I can use it on my JVC TH-A75R do I need another DVD decrypter or so?

Comment

• Dimmer
          • Jun 2004

how can I make it not region free so I can use it on my JVC TH-A75R do I need another DVD decrypter or so?
          You wouldn't need that. I guess the real problem you're having is that your player can only play NTSC but not PAL discs, which often happens with the players sold in the US. If this is the case, you'll need to search for a player hack or simply buy another player, the cheaper, the better. Check out the link setarip mentioned above for the info on hacking.

Comment

• acerdx
            • Jun 2004

I just bought my first DVD Burner and I am trying DVD SHRINK. Does it only burn if you have Nero 6 installed???

Comment

• Dimmer
              • Jun 2004

Yes

Comment

• ignignot
                • Mar 2004

"All recordable DVD are always region-free."

I don't think that's the case. They are always CSS free, but I'm pretty sure that you can set the region on recordable DVDs.

(Although why anyone would want to other than for player compatability is beyond me.)

Comment

• Dimmer
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ignignot
                  "All recordable DVD are always region-free."
                  I don't think that's the case. They are always CSS free, but I'm pretty sure that you can set the region on recordable DVDs.
                  Have a look at this thread, specifically at the post by mpucoder (8th from the top). He's the expert we can trust.

Comment

• ignignot
                    • Mar 2004

Actually, I was just thinking, and determined that you are in fact correct. I was thinking of RCE protection, not region coding.

(from mpucoder)
                    Also region codes and Macrovision, although encoded in the ifo and vob files, will not be enabled without information from this area transfered to the lead in (it's a licensing thing).
                    Interesting... so the protection exists, but it won't be enabled by the player. I'll have to test this out with some copies I've made using DVD43 (as it is not supposed to remove Macrovision).

Thank you, and my apologies for my ignorance (this is what happens when I stay up too late!)

Comment

• IPAQ
                      • Jun 2004

first I bought the JVC in Europe and it is PAL, i have a firend that burnet 3 DVD's for me and they worked, but he canot remember what DVD Decrypter he used it seems that he has been trying difrent types I am still chasing him to tell me which one worked, but if anyone knows what I can use will be a great help

Comment

• Dimmer
                        • Jun 2004

I'm sure the latest version of DVD Decrypter would do just fine.

Now, if you could elaborate:
                        1. What region your player is set to, or is it region-free?
                        2. What's the region DVD you're trying to back up?
                        3. Can your player play the original DVD?
                        4. Can you play the DVD on PC from the DVD drive you use for ripping?
                        5. What exactly happens when you insert the DVD-R into the player? For example, it might reject the disc or display wrong region error.

I'm guessing RCE protection can be the problem, or perhaps the drive's firmware needs flashing.

Comment

• IPAQ
                          • Jun 2004

1. the JVC is a region 2 and cannot be changed
                          2. every DVD has its own region some are all region and some are region2
                          3. yes it plays the orginal DVD's
                          4. yes I can play any type of DVD on the PC
                          5. after I copy the DVD using the DVD decrypter and place it in JVC player it trys to load when pressing play after a few seconds the diplay says no Disc

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

To IPAQ

"how can I make it not region free so I can use it on my JVC TH-A75R"

UN-check the "Region Free" setting in DVD Shrink...

Comment

• Dimmer
                              • Jun 2004

1. the JVC is a region 2 and cannot be changed
                              2. every DVD has its own region some are all region and some are region2
                              3. yes it plays the orginal DVD's
                              4. yes I can play any type of DVD on the PC
                              5. after I copy the DVD using the DVD decrypter and place it in JVC player it trys to load when pressing play after a few seconds the diplay says no Disc
                              Something is not right here: if the JVC player was locked region 2, it wouldn't play the discs from other regions. If a disc was burned properly, one of the likely reasons for being not recognized by the player is the media incompatibility/quality. Check the link setarip mentioned in the beginning to verify this. I suggest try this most simple case:

1. Get a commercial R2 PAL DVD-5 and check that it plays in your JVC player and from the DVD drive in a software player.
                              2. Find a blank DVD of a different brand than you're using now, best of all an RW so you won't make a coaster.
                              3. Copy the DVD in DVD Decrypter. DVD-5 (i.e. single layer) doesn't need to be copressed so there is no need for DVD Shrink. Read the original in ISO Read mode, which creates one huge file on HDD. In this mode, DVD Decrypter shows the number of layers on DVD, which should be 1. Then burn that file onto RW in ISO Write mode.

If it still won't play in your JVC after that, you're going to have to update the burner firmware and/or try different media/burner/standalone player.

By the way, any region-locked player would play a region-free disc, so don't worry about that.

Comment

Working...