Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • freelyfrehley
    • Sep 2004

problems after authoring

im using dvd decrypter to rip - dvdshrink 3.2 to shrink/dvd2one occaisionally and nero to author the resulting files.
    i use ritek dvd-r and on say the last 3 chapters of each disk the movie freezes.
    I have tried all the different settings in dvd shrink, leaving out menus etc,reauthoring and still get inconsistent results.

should i perhaps use dvd+r instead? also i experience the problems on 3 different dvd players.

my pc specs are:-
    p4 3.2 ghz,512 mb ddr ram
    160gb HD
    256 mb gforce fx5500
    1 x dvd 16x
    1 dvdrw dual 8x

more specs here-

• setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

In light of the fact that you are using (excellent) Ritek media, I would speculate that your burner is at the root of your problem. Try using a DVD/CD cleaning disc on it. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• freelyfrehley
      • Sep 2004

my pc is just 3 months old - could this really be the problem?

Comment

• lgha
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Mar 2004

Freezing and skipping are generally caused by incompatability of the disc with the player and/or burner. Just to rule out a possible conflict you may want to read the following, but as Setarip stated you using one of the best known disc for compatability, Ritek, but who knows, read and clean see where that takes you, and use a RW until you get things worked out (to reduce coasters):

for writer compatibility search here:

and for DVD player compatibility search here:

Added Note: By chance you're not burning faster than 2x are you? If you're trying to burn at 4 or 8x then reduce your burning speed to 2x and give that a try, and remember NO multitasking while Shrink is working and the disc is burning.
        Last edited by lgha; 15 Sep 2004, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• freelyfrehley
          • Sep 2004

thx

thank you all for your responses.

yes i do browse etc whilst shrink is working, and i tend to burn at x4 or whichever is maximum, i am going to try at x2 [-rw] to see if this works - once again thanks and i will let you know.

Comment

• dragon1976
            • Aug 2004

Re: problems after authoring

You can try authoring your DVD with Shrink instead of Nero, I've done a few authorong on some movies and concerts and it has never failed me like that.

Let me know if this helps.

Comment

• freelyfrehley
              • Sep 2004

OK i have just backed up a documentary 115mins long.

dvd decrypter then nero - chapter 13 has skipping/freezing.[chapter13 last chapter].
              Didnt need to squeeze as origional is 4gb etc

my dvd's are rivision [ritek] dvd-r

Comment

• dragon1976
                • Aug 2004

Ok, is there a need for you to use Decrypyter?

1. If there is: Use Decrypter to read the files and use it to write the files on your DVD aswell, all the process in one application.

If you still want to use Nero, check if you have the latest updates on Nero, if you are not sure what you have and what you don't, uninstall it and install from scratch, that way you can keep track.
                Check your CPU usage(HDD space, RAM, etc) when you are burning, that might be causing the skippin'
                Check for compatibility between your DVD>DVD writer>DVD player:

If there isn't: Just get your original DVD, create an image of that DVD and then Burn the image, it will take longer but it will be error, don't burn "on the fly", meaning DVD>DVD , because you'll end up with other problems.
                You can use the software that came with your burner, you can use the updated Nero, SmartRipper, etc.
                But....check the PC specifications before attempting to burn again.

About DVD quality, I think all DVD's are good, checkout the DVD compatibilty chart.

Hope this works...contact me anytime at:
                aragoneldragon@hotmail.com

Comment

• freelyfrehley
                  • Sep 2004

Ok, is there a need for you to use Decrypyter?

Yes,as dvdshrinks decryption is not as effective as dvddecrypter, also using dvdshrink to decrypt then shrink is tantamount to writing on the fly sort of.

Comment

• freelyfrehley
                    • Sep 2004

just backed up LOTR rerurn onto dvd -rw.

wont play on standalone player but is fine in dvd drive.
                    Something tells me it will be the player.
                    ps - does dvd shrink increase the ca[acity [time/lenghth] available on a dvd, or is it simply 2hours say for a dvd-r even though dvdshrink shrinks the vob etc?

Comment

• lgha
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Mar 2004

freelyfrehley - you may want to re-read my above post more carefully, and 4.37 is 4.37 wheather you use it or not. If you run a movie thru Shrink enough times you could probably get several copies of the movie on one disc, but who would be able to see it.

Comment

• freelyfrehley
                        • Sep 2004

i dont understand the 4.37 quote.

<<If you run a movie thru Shrink enough times you could probably get several copies of the movie on one disc, but who would be able to see it.>>

does this mean i can fit more than 2 hours onto a single dvd-r to play in a player

Comment

• lgha
                          Digital Video Technician
                          Digital Video Technician
                          • Mar 2004

A DVD5 disc will hold "X" amount of data - no more. You can place less on the disc but not more. If you use DVDShrink and reduce a DVD9 movie to fit in less space it will but if the output of Shrink is more that "x" amount then all of the output will not be on the disc. A DVD5 disc holds about 4.37 gigs of material.

This come from your question:
                          "...does dvd shrink increase the ca[acity [time/lenghth] available on a dvd, or is it simply 2hours say for a dvd-r even though dvdshrink shrinks the vob etc?"

If your movie is 2 hours in length on a DVD9 and you Shrink it to fit on a DVD5 then the movie is still 2 hours in length. If you shrink the movie over and over and fit 2 copies of the same movie on the same DVD5 disc each movie will still be 2 hours in length, (not very viewable, but still 2 hours in length).

Comment

• freelyfrehley
                            • Sep 2004

ahh you meant the dual layer dvd9 and single dvd5

anyway i have ascertained it must be my burner

thx for your help folks.

Comment

• dragon1976
                              • Aug 2004

LOTR Rules! Good choice

Too bad it does not play on your home player...
                              DVD Shrink just shrinks the VOB files, everytme you go from DVD-9(standard size for any movie) to DVD-5 you have to loose somehow, either resolution or audio. Shrink does not increase disc capacity.

Comment

Working...