Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoseMCeee
    • Oct 2004

DVD Shrink Encoding Times

OK heres the deal. I used Nero before with a un-copyrighted dvd and it burned like under 10 mins. The dvd was only 1 hr 20 mins but still that is a very good time. I noticed that I could not burn dvds with copyright on Nero because it wont let you so I got DVD Shrink. So I would expect just about the same time or maybe a little bit more but.......... it takes a very long time. I burned a reg dvd and it took me a total of 50 mins. This is very very very disapointing noting that I have a 16x write Pioneer burner that should be able to do this in less. I noticed that all that time it is taking is when doing the encoding. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or am I stuck with this problem until I buy some software?
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Re: DVD Shrink Encoding Times

Originally posted by JoseMCeee
    I noticed that all that time it is taking is when doing the encoding.
    I'm a little confused by your statement. DVD Shrink does actually need to "Shrink the files" (if required) before it calls Nero to do any burning.

Are you confusing just burning with encoding then burning?

Comment

• JoseMCeee
      • Oct 2004

No my problem is with the encoding process. It takes 44 mins alone to do that and I have the proper cables and drivers/firmware setup. When I used Nero to encode and burn. It took Nero like 10 mins to encode then 10 to burn. So is there something wrong with the settings on my DVD Shrink?

Again I have DVR-108 Pioneer 16X

Comment

• Mig$y
        Retired
        • Jan 2004

Are you talking about Nero Recode?

Which AEC Quality enchancements did you have selected with DVD Shrink? How much compression was required? Did you also account for a deep analysis? Was it the same disc you tried to backup with Nero?

Check your DMA is enabled (if it isn't already), enabling this can increase your backup speed: http://www.mrbass.org/dvdnewbie/#2

Comment

• JoseMCeee
          • Oct 2004

Im not sure what you mean by AEC and I tried deep analysis off and on. Maybe I just need a better cpu. I got 1800+ 1.6 ghz. I noticed that maybe that might not be sufficient.

Comment

• JoseMCeee
            • Oct 2004

Is it possible that my Pioneer drive is locked at a low rip speed because of the CSS system on the drives. The the dvd i ripped that took under 12 mins wasnt CSS protected. Maybe thats the problem. What is a good drive that isnt locked?

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

Lite-On is not locked.

Comment

• JoseMCeee
                • Oct 2004

I think I will just get a secondary Lite ON DVD reader then. Because I tried burning that same DVD that took my less than 12 mins using Shrink and I got the same result. When I use a CSS protected one the speed drops hella low.

Comment

• cynthia
                  Super Moderatress
                  • Jan 2004

Another (cheaper) solution is to update your burner/reader with an unlocked firmware.

Comment

• JoseMCeee
                    • Oct 2004

So the firmware I get from Pioneer wont work? How is it that I get a hacked Firmware?

Comment

• cynthia
                      Super Moderatress
                      • Jan 2004

Obviously the original firmware for your Pioneer is locked.

Comment

• JoseMCeee
                        • Oct 2004

I downloaded the Gradius one for my 108. I havent had the chance to test it yet but is that all I need? I noticed that some guy name Ni| also has something. If I were to update it, do i just replace the kernel files?

Comment

• cynthia
                          Super Moderatress
                          • Jan 2004

It's like an update of a motherboard BIOS - if you want to replace your current firmware - just update/flash it with another version.

You should also restart your PC after the flash. Also make sure you close down every other program and don't have a disc in the burner/reader while flashing.

Comment

• JoseMCeee
                            • Oct 2004

yea but the one i saw only came with a kernel file. So do i just replace them?

Comment

• cynthia
                              Super Moderatress
                              • Jan 2004

Yes, the old will be overwritten.

Comment

Working...