Nero burns CDs but not DVDs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chez
    • Nov 2004

Thank you. now having much success with backups (thanks for the help) but would like to know is there any way i can speed burn up. i have 4X discs (DVD-R) but even when i click on maximum i only get speed of 2X. p.s. this is the first time i have ever used a forum so i dont know how to trace my posts or find my thread. its nice to see im not the only one finding the world of p.c. challenging. thanks for advice

Comment

• Floppy

Originally posted by chez
      Thank you. now having much success with backups (thanks for the help) but would like to know is there any way i can speed burn up. i have 4X discs (DVD-R) but even when i click on maximum i only get speed of 2X. p.s. this is the first time i have ever used a forum so i dont know how to trace my posts or find my thread. its nice to see im not the only one finding the world of p.c. challenging. thanks for advice
      Your welcome for any advice, but in this case is mijbr that should be thanking you for any advice, I just added to your comment/suggestion... (I do that sometimes, ok more than sometimes, lol)

If you have x4 disks -R or even +R your drive will only burn those disks at x4 if the firmware supports that burn speed on the brand of disks your using.

I suppose I would like to know what disks are you using, the drive you have and the firmware version your drive is running on...

You can upload a Nero infotool log of all those details but insert one blank disk B4 proceeding. (that info will sufice for me to help you, or try!)

look at the attachement for clues in how to get a infotool log saved.

Would u click on the vote link on my signature please, its a multiple option, free, and no strings attached, no information about yourself will be collected or needed....

Good things
      Last edited by Guest; 22 Nov 2005, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Also if you have a demo version of Nero - after 30 days it will only allow burning at the lowest speed that the burner can handle.

Comment

• chez
          • Nov 2004

how do i do the nero upload and where do i find it. what the hell is firmware. how do i find out what kind of drive i have . i am using demo version of nero but have only had it downloaded 3 days. if you ask me a question please tell me how to find answer as i make the computers for dummies stuff look like computers for astrophysicists i am so new at this

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

Update Nero: http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php

Firmware:

Like all recent motherboards, DVD Drives can have their "BIOS" replaced. In DVD drives (also CD drives and Hard Drives) this controller software which resides on a programmable chip within the drive itself is called a "Firmware". Since this software resides within a flash-based reprogrammable chip, it may be upgraded through a "Firmware Patch".

For DVD Drives there are two types of Firmwares. There is the Region-Free RPC1 firmware which doesn't allow for checking the Region code within the drive itself. And there is the Region-Locked RPC2 firmware which enforces a Region setting within the drive on a hardware basis.

What drive do you have?: download this program (freeware) www.dvdinfopro.com it will tell you what burner you have installed.

If you want a freeware program to burn with - check this out: http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=7984

Freeware = pay if you wish
            Last edited by cynthia; 7 Nov 2004, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• chez
              • Nov 2004

have found nero info tool! miracles do happen occassionaly. found the following. driver - DVD-RAM recorder, firmware A106 buffer size 2MB read spead 8X, 2x or 1X read speed 2X only disc DVD-R SKC Co ltd capacity 4.38 GB supported speeds 2X . Also have DVD-RW capacity 4.38 GB supported speeds 2X-1X TDK 601 saku. does any of that info help

Comment

• chez
                • Nov 2004

under region control it says RPC II. that is all i can find in nero info tool

Comment

• chez
                  • Nov 2004

just one last bit i can use DVD-rR or DVD+R it will take either type of disc. i cant say enough how helpful this has been if it werent for you guys and girls i would have thrown pc out of window out of frustration by now i would like to get other information for use of pc. i have firewall but do not know how to play with it 99 percent of emails i receive have attachments automatically deleted before i even get to them. also have other software that i cant even work out how to use some help menus provided are absolutely useless

Comment

• cynthia
                    Super Moderatress
                    • Jan 2004

Well, you want to speed up your burns. Instead of using the demo of Nero - use DVDDecrypter for burning.

Comment

• Floppy

Originally posted by chez
                      have found nero info tool! miracles do happen occassionaly. found the following. driver - DVD-RAM recorder, firmware A106 buffer size 2MB read spead 8X, 2x or 1X read speed 2X only disc DVD-R SKC Co ltd capacity 4.38 GB supported speeds 2X . Also have DVD-RW capacity 4.38 GB supported speeds 2X-1X TDK 601 saku. does any of that info help
                      If you can upload the log itself it would be much better.

please insert one of the blank DVD wilst activating Nero Infotool and then save the results...

THX

Comment

• sliquester
                        • Nov 2004

I had the same problem with nero ejecting my disks multiple times while trying to do my dvds! I found that using Nero 6.303 worked fine, but when I upgraded to Nero 6.3125 it suddenly ejected disks for no need. If you can't upgrade your firmware, and still want to use Nero then I suggest going back to Nero 6.303! If you can't find Nero 6.303, Mijbr, I might be able to hook you up!

Comment

• Floppy

Go here

ftp://ftp.nero.com/philips/nbr6306all.zip

Comment

• mijbr
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by sliquester
                            I had the same problem with nero ejecting my disks multiple times while trying to do my dvds! I found that using Nero 6.303 worked fine, but when I upgraded to Nero 6.3125 it suddenly ejected disks for no need. If you can't upgrade your firmware, and still want to use Nero then I suggest going back to Nero 6.303! If you can't find Nero 6.303, Mijbr, I might be able to hook you up!
                            I went back a little further to 6.0.0.9 (which is what I had before I upgraded anything) & also back to SP1 & it seems to be working for data at any rate. Now for the critical test, backing up my latest DVD purchase (the 2 disc version of Underworld, ah, vampires in black leather, is there anything finer to see )

Wondering if I should gamble & go back to SP2 or up to 6.3.0.3.

Ehhh, that can wait until I get back to my home country I am thinking.....

In the corporate world though, I'm still waiting on Pikaone to get back to me with a definitive answer about the upgrading of the firmware.

Thanks for everyones help, it has been very much appreciated. People here have far more ideas than anyone at Nero & Pikaone & are much more helpful
                            Last edited by mijbr; 18 Nov 2004, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

Your welcome for the suggestions and help...

A pleasure

The bugs that Nro 6 and all version since then contain, some are manifested in all PC's but a significant part of those bugs are only manifested in certain machines setups and software enviroments...

One thing in common with early version of Nero 6 is that 6.0 version are still riddled with a huge amount of bugs, so much so I never bought Nero 6 until version 6.3.x.17 was released on the net...

I happily used 5.5.10.56 until that day with no regreats.

The most buggy version of Nero software is by far 6
                              Last edited by Guest; 18 Nov 2004, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Working...