X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charlypuss
    • Nov 2004

Hi nwg,

Agreed. There are people in these forums that need some help and there are those who are just arguementitive sods who have nothing else better to do than to patronise people that are trying to answer genuine/ relative questions. This thread is now dead as far as I am concerned.
    Anonimity makes idiot's brave...

mfg
    If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...

Comment

• ToddKidder
      • Nov 2004

Me thinks......

It takes longer than 40 minutes.

Thanks for all of the well written responses. I can conclude that it is indeed a ways to go yet for timely burns.

You all got an "F".

Note that if you went away from this thinking that you were being called a fool, it is only because you agree that it takes you 3 hours to burn a DVD. PLEASE READ carefully my posts. I am sure that the expression fool does not apply to anyone in this forum?

In fact those who went away from this thread thinking that I called them fool..... were completely agreeing with me..... in a round about way.
      Last edited by ToddKidder; 6 Dec 2004, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• alex thyl
        • Nov 2004

If you want to save time:

1. Use only DVDShrink with Nero.
        2. Use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2.

With the latter a backup - depending on the size of the movie - won't take more than 20-30 mins.

Comment

• Floppy

Re: Re: Your kidding right?

Originally posted by nwg
          I was trying to help.

One of your questions was this below and was actually the reason for posting in the first place.

I am not bothering anymore and I dealt anyone will as well.
          I am with you nwg, can you believe this guy??? I am an idiot now too.... Im sorry this has gone too far....

Right...
          Last edited by Guest; 6 Dec 2004, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

ToddKidder: Being polite is not just good netiquette but also a rule of this forum:

This is your last and only warning. Suspension would be next...

Backing up a DVD involves copying the DVD to your computer, which takes time because of the limitations of the DVD drive and your hard drive (anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on your system). It also involves copying to disc, which also takes time because of the limitation of DVD burners (I can burn at 12x, so it's fast enough for me, but this can take 40 minutes as well). In the middle, there is the conversion process, which is taking a huge 8 GB worth of heavily compressed files and using mathematical functions to reduce it to around 4 GB - anyone who has studied computers will know how hard this is to do. Even using WinZIP on these DVD files (which would not even offer any compression at all, because DVD files are already heavily compressed) would take maybe an hour to do this. So that's the 2 hours then (and half of it because of the limitation of computers, not the backup process). Even backing up just 8GB of normal data files would take you at least an hour.

I have two computers, so for me, it just means that one of my computer works hard with DVD Shrink while I do stuff on my other computer - and the 2 hour is passed very quickly. If you only have one computer, you could start Shrinking just before you go to bed, use one of the many auto-shutdown tools, and by the morning, you have made a backup and your computer would have automatically shut off when the backup was finished. Easy.

And if you think DVD backup takes too long, then why are you still here? Don't you have something better to do with your time? In the time you have read and posted in this thread, you could have backed up a DVD already.

You also posted links to sites with a referral tag - if I didn't know better, I would think you were trying to talk people out of using Shrink and to use one of these sites to download movies instead, and make a little bit of money in the process. I had already edited one of your posts in another thread (http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=43147) to remove the referral tag, and discredited your link in the process. When downloading movies from the net is concerned, if it is unethical, it is illegal, because even if you own the original, you are helping others to pirate it by seeding it during download. If it was a copyright free movie, then why would it be unethical?

For the record, any movie you need to use DVD Shrink on is almost certainly something that you can't download legally from the net. We talk about the backup of DVDs you already own, so most of us are talking about using DVD Shrink on commercial DVDs. If it wasn't a commercial DVD, why not just buy another copy for backup (it should be fairly cheap)? And even if it was legal to download from the net, I bet it takes more than 2 hours to download a DVD quality version (at 500 KB/s, which is nearly 4 times faster than my ADSL connection, it would still take you more than 2 hours to download a normal single layered DVD, assuming you can download at maximum speed all the way). And even after you download the DVD, you still have to spend time to burn it. My recent (20 hour) experience with downloading Half Life 2 legally from Steam (using my ATI coupon) has taught me that online downloading of large files is still not a great way do do business yet.

Thread closed.
            Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...