• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sillyme
    • Feb 2005

DVD-R Playback problems

Hello all,
    I hope someone can help me!

I've been backing up DVD's for some time now and can't seem to avoid this recurring problem of movies pixellating and freezing especially toward the very end. (very, very frustrating)

I burn with an LG Multi-burner.
    I use DVD Shrink 3.1.7.6 (or on occasions DVD Decrypter).
    I rip the movie with Shrink, then burn it with Nero (Shrink does this automatically with Nero loaded).
    I use Ritek DVD-R (purple coating) 4x discs but have also had the problem with Princo. I've read that Ritek are supposed to be very good???

This freezing happens when watching material I have recorded but mainly towards the end of the movie or recording.

I am just about to look for a very tall building!

Thank you in anticipation
    Regards
    Sillyme
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

"can't seem to avoid this recurring problem of movies pixellating and freezing especially toward the very end."
    Your problem is the cause of poor media being used. Cheap or off brand media is poorly manufactured on the edge of the disc (Hence the reason why its skipping freezing toward the end). I suggest obtaining a more reliable brand of media, such as Ritek Ridata or Verbatim.

It is very likely you got a bad batch of Ritek disc's.

Also, what speed are you burning at? I recommend no faster than 4X!!

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

Try to see if there is a firmware update.

Comment

• Shock And Awe
        • Jul 2004

Hi,
        As I am related to "sillyme" I have exactly the same set-up (same burner, programs, discs) and experience the same difficulties. I just wanted to add a little more to this to hopefully help to diagnose the problem......
        - we have tried 2 different brands of discs, 2 different brands of DVD players and we are still unsure whether it is the burner, the discs or the dvd player that is the problem.
        - when a disc starts to pixellate and freeze, if you turn off the dvd player for maybe half an hour and then turn it back on with the disc at the same position, it will usually play straight through no problems. This means that the data is there but the dvd player has difficulty reading it?? Why would it work after you turn the dvd player off for a while then turn it back on, does it cool down??
        - if a disc has trouble (ie freezes etc) it may work fine on another dvd player
        - Also, it does not happen to every disc we record, only some of them.
        - If you pause a disc or fast forward during play, it seems to make it stuff up quicker.....may just be my perseption though.
        - we record at 2X speed

jmet, does this still sound like poor media to you?

This has been extremely frustrating and we have tried so many different things to fix the problem. I really appreciate any help

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

"jmet, does this still sound like poor media to you?
          "
          Yes it does. It may be a combination of both the media and the DVD player .

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"if you turn off the dvd player for maybe half an hour and then turn it back on with the disc at the same position, it will usually play straight through no problems."

Then it certainly could be that your player is overheating. Make certain that it is adequately ventilated...

Comment

• Shock And Awe
              • Jul 2004

if this does sound like the dvd player overheating, it only happens when playing DVDRs not originals. The dvd player is well ventilated and it happens in both my dvd players so I suppose that this means that the issue goes back to the disc as being the problem???
              Thanks for the response.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Do the burned discs also exhibit this problematic behaviour when played on your PC(s)?

Comment

• wmetwo
                  • Feb 2005

I recently experienced this "pixellation" and "freezing" with a recoded movie which had been shrunk. On the front end, try DVD Shrink's advanced quality settings - chose "Smooth" instead of "Sharp".

Comment

• sillyme
                    • Feb 2005

Hi setarip and others,
                    thanks for spending the time... we appreciate it.

Quote "Do the burned discs also exhibit this problematic behaviour when played on your PC(s)?"

Yes, on mine it crashed my computer. It just hung.
                    This particular Ritek GO5 disc froze halfway through on my JVC DVD player, froze earlier on my DSE player, completely crashed my Panasonic HS2 DVD recorder (it switched off and went into full recovery when I turned it back on?

This is terribly frustrating, we switched from Princo to Ritek GO4 and now GO5 blanks some time ago because all the forums I searched said that the Ritek were excellent quality?

Being a keen digital video nut, I have quite a lot of discs that are now displaying the tendency to pixellate during playback etc.

I'm very, very nervous that I might lose a heap of this material due to this problem.

(I have found a tall building but haven't gone in yet!)

Thanks
                    sillyme

Comment

• sandman
                      • Feb 2005

DVD-r Play back problems

I'm having similar problems. I'm using Dvd decryptor and Dvd-shink 3.2 with Memorex DVD-r @ 4x.
                      I can burn with no problems and they will play fine on my PC.
                      However, when playing on my home DVD player some tend to freeze up or break up somewhere between the middle and end. The funny thing is that they may play with no problem from time to time.
                      any help would be appreciated!

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To sillyme

"I'm very, very nervous that I might lose a heap of this material due to this problem."

Why would you have such a worry? You always have the original, commercial DVDs that you purchased...

"Yes, on mine it crashed my computer"

Then it's apparent that the burned DVD is flawed. The cause may be either the burner or the media - or both.

You might want to try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your burner. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• jmet
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2002

@ sandman - Memorex media is far from being the best, I suggest in a more reliable brand of media such as Ritek Ridata or Verbatim.

By any chance are you using adhesive labels on your backups?

Comment

• sandman
                            • Feb 2005

YES_ I'm using Fellowes -NEATO CD labels. Is that a problem?
                            Should i be using something else?

Sandman

Comment

• jmet
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2002

Originally posted by sandman
                              YES_ I'm using Fellowes -NEATO CD labels. Is that a problem?
                              Yes that is your problem. Remove the labels and your problem will go away. Also go here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=29249
                              Last edited by jmet; 22 Feb 2005, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Working...