Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RegalGS
    • Jun 2005

Dual layer

I've searched and found very little info.
    Seems most are still using DVD Shrink, and a single layer burner.

Here's my question, with the prices of burners coming down, I was thinking of getting a dual layer burner. I currently have the Sony DRU-500A. I bought it years ago when it first came out for $... naa you don't wanna know. But later found out, you cannot do a 1:1 backup. I've tried DVD Shrink, and have little or no luck, most backups have pixels from time to time, Final Destination, would loop back to the first scene, and others would hang up during play, then eventually lock up.

If I was to buy a Dual Layer burner, Would I be able to just run it through DVD Decrypter, and then make a 1:1 backup, without any problems?

I'm not made of money, and don't want to waste the $$ if it's not going to work.

Has anyone had any luck with DL burners?
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

The symptoms you describe are those you get when you burn to cheap, poorly manufactured to fast or when you use to much compression.

"Dual Layer" blank media is still very expensive (like 5$ a disc or more). I refuse to buy dual layer media until the price comes down.

I have a dual layer burner but, I burn everything to single layer media.

Re: your playback problems - If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips or freezes from the middle toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:
    • Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)
    • How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44912

Also try lowering outcome the "Target DVD size".

Open DVD Shrink. Click "Edit", then "Preferences". On the first tab at the top in the drop down box, change it from "DVD-5 (4.7GB) to "Custom" and enter a number of 4200MB (4464MB is burning to the edge of the disc, you want to stay away from the edge as the edge of cheap media (disc's) are poorly manufactured). Screen Shot Below:

Comment

• RegalGS
      • Jun 2005

Thanks for the information, my problems are actually in the beginning of the dvd. I had bought a 50 pack of Memorex 8x (I think) blanks. I think my DRU-500A is a 2x or 4x burner. I'm new to this whole dvd shrink thing, It's working, the quality just isn't there.

Also there are some movies like Dawn of the Dead, where it's such a big dvd, that the only way to fit it, is to take out the extras, but there's a lot of cool things on that dvd that I don't want to leave behind, thus the reason for wanting a DL burner.

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

I am assuming that you goal is to compress a "Dual Layer" DVD down to a "Single Layer" DVD using "Full Disc" mode. %95 of the time, you are going to suffer from a extremely low compression percentage. If you go ahead and back it up (which I am assuming that is what you are doing), you are indeed going to experience "pixelazation" and "freezing". (Specially if you are burning to cheap media such as "Memorex") I highly suggest you either "Re-author" the DVD only putting the main movie on it or span the DVD over 2 single layer disc's.

Re-author: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=46607

Span of 2 Disc: http://www.dvdshrink.info/splitting-v2-3.php

Your burners top speed on -R media is 4X and for +R it is 2.4X. I recommend you go here and research what kind (brand) of media your burner likes. - http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters....ist=2#comments

Comment

• RegalGS
          • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by jmet
          I am assuming that you goal is to compress a "Dual Layer" DVD down to a "Single Layer" DVD using "Full Disc" mode.

I appreciate all the great info, but my true goal is to get a DL burner, and burn DL dvd's to DL blanks. I'm not so worried about the $3-5 per blank, I don't trust my kid with even his own dvd's, so $5 extra per blank is cheaper then $18 or whatever it is.

My post was kind of a 2 parter... 1) I was having troubles, and gave up, 2) I want a DL burner, has anyone made sucessful 1:1 copies, and how did they go about doing so? Also what burner, what media, and what software?

Thanks

Comment

• Lownox
            • Jun 2005

Plextor 716A Firmware 1.08, Verbatum DL+R disc, DVDD ISO read/write. Change the book type setting in DVDD for DL+R to DVD-ROM(click the little book down by the write speed, select your drive and make the changes). You may have the change the book type every time you use DVDD. I'm not sure. Posted the question about changing the book type every time in another thread and nobody ever really give me an answer.
            AMD Athlon 2600+
            1G Ram
            (2) WD 120G HD
            Plextor 716A
            NEC 3550

Comment

• RegalGS
              • Jun 2005

Alright, I found my problem, Nero was automatically set at max burn speed.

I like to keep the main movie around 70% or higher, then burn at 1X I could probably get away with 2X but I don't mind letting it have a little more time. Now my back-ups are fine, and no problems.

just the other day I went to back up my T2 (terminator 2) dvd, the best I could do with extras set to Image only, and the menu turned all the way down, I was still in the 55% range for the main movie.

I think I may have to buy a DL burner, there are just some movies I want to keep all the extras, or like this dvd where the main section is pretty large.

Comment

• BR7
                He is coming to your little town!
                • Aug 2005

I have Hp lightscribe dual layer works good for me as for the Memorex DVD-R they didnt work so well for me I got what you got so I went to a differnt brand I got Sony accore they work great.But as for the cost of dual layer discs they have them at Best Buy for $19.99 15 pack

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• jmet
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2002

Originally Posted by BR7
                  But as for the cost of dual layer discs they have them at Best Buy for $19.99 15 pack
                  Are you sure it was a 15 pack? I went to 2 local Best Buy stores and checked online. Heck even Dynex brand (which are pure crap), are still $33.00 for only 5 of them. Think you might have gotten your information mixed up. - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1110263657216

Comment

• BR7
                    He is coming to your little town!
                    • Aug 2005

I am sure but I will do a quick check and repost.My bad I looked at the wrong one
                    Last edited by BR7; 3 Aug 2005, 10:50 AM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• jmet
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2002

np! I was about to go to Best Buy and buy the store out if they had them for that price. lmao

Comment

• RegalGS
                        • Jun 2005

BR7 - have you used DL discs (1:1 back-ups)?
                        If so, what software do you use, and what are the settings.
                        I don't mind dropping the $$$ into the burner, and discs, but I don't want any coasters.
                        I'll go buy a new burner with my next paycheck if I knew I could get a 1:1 copy.

Comment

• jmet
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2002

Just do a ISO Read and a ISO Write in DVD Decrypter for a 1:1 identical copy. Simple as that.

Comment

• blutach
                            Not a god of digital video
                            • Oct 2004

I have a LG 4163B DL burner. I only use Verbatims DL+R burning at 2.4x and have not made a coaster. Jmet's method will work. Be careful about VOB PUOs on multi-angled movies (don't remove them - IFO PUOs are OK, but I like to set my menu PUOs the way I like them).

I actually burn in PgcEdit (which calls DVD Decrypter to burn) - which allows you to manually set the LB. Guide on site - see my sig.

Regards
                            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Lownox
                              • Jun 2005

If you use DVDD to burn DVD+DLs make sure that you change the booktype to DVD-ROM in DVDD for your burner. It's next to where you set the burn speed. You only have to change it once. Most standalone players have trouble with DVD+ media.
                              AMD Athlon 2600+
                              1G Ram
                              (2) WD 120G HD
                              Plextor 716A
                              NEC 3550

Comment

Working...