X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Any opinions on these discs?

I am currently putting an order together which I can have half price shipping from the company I am using. The only requirement is £20 minimum order. I want some empty cases but it only comes to about £5.

I do record programes onto DVD and at the moment I am using my decent backup brand of discs. There is some cheap discs that I was wondering how good they actually are.

The first brand is Fujifilm +R with Ritek R03 media ID. Blu, I believe you use this dye. They are 20p per disc

Thes second is Hyundai +R and has ISO1 001 dye and these are just 10p per disc.

I think they should be good enough for TV recording. They both get good results on Videohelp but, I would like actual peoples comments about the discs or the dye.
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

@nwg - I have never used either, here is some info from DigitalFaq updated as of May 2005 has the Ritek at the bottom of the 2nd class pile 80-95% success. They don't list ISO1001 but ISO001 is in the 4th class with
    0-50% success

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

They don't list ISO1001 but ISO001 is in the 4th class with 0-50% success

That's not good.

I have used Ritek for ages now but they are not made anymore (Ridisc DVD-R 4x G04). I have 100% success with them.

Edit.

They have silver unbranded TDK G02 for 12p each and according to that list it is 1st class media ?
      Last edited by nwg; 16 Aug 2005, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• jm1647
        • Apr 2005

The TTG02's are 1st class by them and in the review part good with 56 players.

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by jm1647
          The TTG02's are 1st class by them and in the review part good with 56 players.

I think I will chance them. They will be used mainly for TV recording anyway. I just felt bothered by using my decent discs.

I would have to get at least three packs of 50 to reach the £20 minimum. The rest of the order is 20 '6 disc' cases, 1 '10 disc' case, and 4 double thin cases. All those is only £5.

I am trying to get some space back on my shelves by putting loads of discs into smaller cases. Maybe, I should have stopped getting DVD's before I had got my 1000 DVD.

Comment

• jm1647
            • Apr 2005

1000, Woooooooowwwwww ! I try to keep all my backups in the slim jewel cases to save space.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

1000? holy moly. i thought i had a lot with 500. i'm in the same boat jm1647, those slimmy's work great
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
                • Apr 2005

@LT - yeah when I backed up my VHS tapes to my standalone, the thickness of 5 or was it 6 slim jewel cases was the thickness of 1 VHS tape in the cardboard case. Needless to say I backed up all my tapes to the standalone in 4 hour mode (2 VHS - 1 DVD). Got a lot of room in the old entertainment center now

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by jm1647
                  1000, Woooooooowwwwww ! I try to keep all my backups in the slim jewel cases to save space.
                  I probably have well over a 1000 now.

That is counting a boxset of 7 discs as 7 DVD's. I know people who call a whole boxset as one DVD. I never understand that. What if a boxset had 100 DVD's. Would they count that as one then?

I have a lot of TV series boxsets which take a lot of room. I also have to get a complete series as I get addicted to watching them. I thought those cheap DVD's be good to back up my Friends TV DVD's. There is 60 of them in total just for that series. I would rather not use 60 of my decent ones.

This is what I am doing with my boxsets. Each case in the picture below is a '8 disc' case with 7 DVD's in each one which is a whole season of Star Trek. Cases 3 and 4 of Enterprise is empty as the DVD's are not out yet.

Last edited by nwg; 16 Aug 2005, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• jm1647
                    • Apr 2005

7 DVD is 7 DVD's in my book too...I know what you mean about series !! I'm hooked on just about all the HBO series, Oz, The Wire, Sopranos, Sex and the City, Carnivale, Deadwood, Entourage, The Corner.... and now they got a new one coming out "Rome"that looks good.

Comment

• nwg
                      Left *****
                      • Jun 2003

I know someone who thinks all his Buffy DVD's as one DVD because all 39 DVD's come in one limited edition box.

I have every season so far off

CSI, CSI Miami, Stargate SG1, Alias, Enterprise and Las Vegas

And every season/complete series of

X Files, Millennium, Friends, Star Trek The original Series, TNG and DS9. Also, Futurama, Lone Gunmen, Angel, Buffy, Alien Legacy, Alien Quadrilogy, Band of Brothers and Red Dwarf.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

jm1647

"yeah when I backed up my VHS tapes to my standalone, the thickness of 5 or was it 6 slim jewel cases was the thickness of 1 VHS tape in the cardboard case"

i know what you mean. VHS tapes get me so mad. i threw all mine in the garbage when i bought a dvd player. i just slowly bought the movies i had on tape, on dvd. if someone ever gave me a tape i'd smash it to pieces!
                        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                        Columbo moments...
                        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• jm1647
                          • Apr 2005

@nwg - How did I forget the Band Of Brothers - it was great !!!

@LT - My daughter is about to buy 26 Disney tapes off of ebay for Lil Danny and she has no way of backing them up to DVD.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

"My daughter is about to buy 26 Disney tapes off of ebay for Lil Danny and she has no way of backing them up to DVD."

sure she does, YOU!
                            seriously, selling tapes ought to be outlawed...
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• nwg
                              Left *****
                              • Jun 2003

I have ordered 3 of the 50 quantity spindles of the TDK G02 discs along with a selection of cases. With some discount I managed to get them at 10p each from originally 12p.

I will see what they are like in a couple of days hopefully.

Comment

Working...