Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gunkie
    • Dec 2005

dvd life span

Recently heard a news item regarding the life span of home-burned CDs found to be as low as TWO years.

Was wondering if anyone here has experienced problems with DVDs going bad due to age.

The following link specifically mentions Verbatims as having a manufacturing method that improves life span:

In the early '90s when the first CD-R disc was introduced manufacturers said the media had a data life in excess of 40 years. In the late 90s when the first DVDR discs appeared on the scene producers
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Check the forum for one of creamypanda's posts just recently.It will explain all.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

Just my 2 cents worth;
      I have never had a problem with a Burned CD or DVD not working just due to age. I have CD's as old as 6 or7 years now and they still work fine. I have DVD's a few years old and still no problems with them. The only time I have had a DVD or CD not play is when it becomes damaged, or lost. And lets face it if that were to happen you have the original one to make a new copy from, problem solved.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

ID AN31
        i tried to back up one of my first dvd's today of this type .landfill. it's about 2 years old. one of a few that i have of these with nothing really important on them to me (dvd video files). the disc plays perfect still and dvd shrink analyzed it and backed it up all 100%. so far so good anyway. i'm not going to worry. more important things to worry about in life

@photo, what ID/make are those dvd's?
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• photo_angel2004
          Queen of Digital Video
          Queen of Digital Video
          • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
          ID AN31

@photo, what ID/make are those dvd's?
          Pre-recorded Information:
          Manufacturer ID: PRINCO that id for the comp usa disc

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
          Book Type: DVD-R
          Part Version: 5
          Disc Size: 120mm
          Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
          Number of Layers: 1
          Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
          Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
          Track Density: 0.74 um/track
          First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
          Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,495,103
          Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

At this time I am out of the Verbatim

Last edited by photo_angel2004; 24 Jan 2006, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

they all play past the point of recovery then they quit playing

Comment

• photo_angel2004
              Queen of Digital Video
              Queen of Digital Video
              • Jan 2004

Why worry about how long a burned DVD will last? How long will the original store bought copy last? Does anyone really know DVD's have not been out that long? Lets face it by the time they all fail they will come out with something new anyways.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by photo_angel2004
                Why worry about how long a burned DVD will last? How long will the original store bought copy last? Does anyone really know DVD's have not been out that long? Lets face it by the time they all fail they will come out with something new anyways.
                good point. i agree. no offense but princo is poor media and you've had them for a few years? that's pretty good. i hope they last a long time for you. i store mine properly and hope they'll last as long as i do at least i don't know...maybe one day in the near future i'll "cull" as chewy says the few cheapy discs i have and put them on sony 08d1's.
                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                Columbo moments...
                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                  good point. i agree. no offense but princo is poor media and you've had them for a few years? that's pretty good..
                  I have herd that they were not good ones to use but I saw them on sale for $9.99 per spool of 100 and the sale was buy 2 get one free so 300 DVD's for $20.00 was cheaper then blank CD's and I have not had a problem with them. Before those I had used the Verbatim and have not a problem with either or the two. When these run out I will proably go back to the Verbatim Sam's club here has lowered the price a lot on those now too.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

yeah that's really cheap. i remember those princo's gave me the worst trouble when i started out. but we have different writers i'm sure.
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...