• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by photo_angel2004

Whats up with all the RED? the words Picture and post are now red?

Ok now the red is all gone, must have been a mod messing with it LMAO!

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

scan and burn speed have nothing to do with each other,
      try a burn at 4x then a burn at 8x, after finding the sweet spot for your scans compare graphs

or you can get fancy and waste a disk and under benchmark(create data disk) graph the actual burn then scan and it will superimpose the burn and scan showing you what's really going on

Comment

• copyless
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2006

I am happy to waste a disc if it gives me a better burn and simplifies the learning process for me. So let me see I go to the create data disc tab and insert a blank disc. Then how do I get the burn and scan to superimpose? Or do I find it under the benchmark tab? One last question, does the drive you use to read make much of a difference, as I usually use my DVD ROM drive to read to Shrink, DVD Decrypter, etc., then I write with my writer, so that I don't just use or overheat just one drive. But as I am running another benchmark test with my ROM drive I notice that it starts at 0.81speed and it is now at 1.5 GB and it is still reading at 0.81, so I am guessing this is going to be a 1x read only drive? Thank you for the help and time.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

check your dma,
          to create a data disk and get the graph start in benchmark/run test/create data disk, save the graph
          then disk quality, try 4x scan speed since you are scanning at 1ecc
          save graph

Comment

• copyless
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2006

Chewy, Chewy, Chewy, remember I am a laymen, I am learning the tests and other aspects of the burner. I am able to do just about anything with a computer once I have been taught or shown how. I love electronics and computers, (I actually took electronics in college some 25 yrs ago, but never took a job using it). So you know how that goes learn it and don't use it, forget it.

I know you are getting tired of me, so I apologize, or at least I am getting tired of myself. If I make this data disc and post the results will you be able to tell me the best setting for my burn speed? Or should I use the quality test to find the best speed at which my burn looks good, then check a 4x and and 8x burn with that speed selected, then I will know at which speed to burn the media I am using? Does this sound like the correct steps?

Is there a place I can read up on the CD/DVD speed, like a guide to it or something, where I can learn all the different line and what they mean or anything?

The DMA you want me to check is the one on the ROM drive, correct?

Thank you for your help, I do appreciate it!!
            Last edited by copyless; 1 May 2006, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• copyless
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2006

I just checked the DMA on my ROM drive and it was in PIO mode so I removed the drive and am now restarting the computer, and that should reset the error code, correct?

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

to set dma you need to remove the controller(ide) that the problem drive is hooked to and reboot

I would try the data disk and post both graphs

Yeah I was a TauBetaPi the quarter I changed to liberal arts, lots of science and math before then

Comment

• copyless
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2006

Worked like a charm, Chewy. I now have a transfer rate on my secondary channel of Ultra DMA mode 2 instead of PIO. Thank you very much, for posting back, because un-installing the drive and rebooting did nothing for resetting the errors (as you well Know), but un-installing the controller fixed it. Boy I am, I mean YOU are good. No just kidding, Thank You a lot for the help. I will do the data disk later and post the results later today. As I have been up all night messing with different computers in my house and I need a little rest first. It's great to have the help of knowledgeable people around you, Thank you again.

Comment

• sonic_emperor
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Mar 2003

thats our chewy...as the car commercial for chevrolet says - a big plus!
                    cro-anthem-video

Comment

• copyless
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Apr 2006

Chewy, and all the other CD/DVD speed experts:

OK, here is the the test DVD screen and a quality test at 4x and one at 8x. Please let me know what you think the speed I should burn at is, and if possible how you came to this conclusion. Also if there is a place where I can read up on the test and what the parameters mean. Thank You.

Last edited by copyless; 2 May 2006, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

burn at 8x scan at 8x, everything went to hell when the burn got past 12x but
                        it still made a good burn, that's probably a better burner than scanner(reader).
                        And keep using the good stuff!
                        Way to go!
                        Try to get some Yuden T02's some time also (hard to find)
                        sony 8x dvd+r MIJ forget 16x MIJ sony they aren't yudens

Comment

• copyless
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Apr 2006

Thank you for the help I did a burn just now at 8x and I then ran the quality check on it at 8x. But I forgot to save the results. But I did write them down and this is the results:

AVG. MAX TOTAL
                          PIE 2.10 13 17780
                          PIF .04 2 480 with a score of 95

Also wanted to thank you for telling me about removing the controller, because what was taking about one hour and 20 minutes to encode with DVD Shrink before, was done in 8 minutes and 11 seconds. If that isn't a major difference I don't know what is. Resetting the DMA is larger than I would have ever imagined.

Comment

• dmanshead
                            Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
                            • Dec 2005

well if the are 8x dvd - r then you have ty discs, I recently learned this from this thread http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=65636
                            If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
                            Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• dmanshead
                              Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
                              • Dec 2005

copyless: Is the scan speed that I find to be the best also the speed I am going to set my burn at?

i find that with my lite on using 8x disc (it's a 16x dl) and a scan rate of 4x i get the best results. I have made aolt of attempts to burn at 6x but it was pointed out to me that for some reason 6x rarely produces good results.

chewy the thread i noted earlier, those sony discs are ty but only if they have been made in japan and not taiwan, look closely at the label as it is in fine print where they are made.
                              If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
                              Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• copyless
                                Digital Video Expert
                                Digital Video Expert
                                • Apr 2006

The above scans I posted are from 16x Sony disc. If you look at the scans above you will notice that the 16x Sony's are also TY disc, if they say made in Japan they are TY disc.

Comment

Working...