X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by BR7
    I am going to order the Thermaltake Monday or Tuesday.Do you think this will take care of the burn issues I have been having? And what are the other benefits of using a bigger power supply
    the problems you described with 12x burning seem like a bad power voltage rail, good stable power is essential to dvd burning

I like to have my hard drives, and dvd burners hooked to their own dedicated power cables on the connector closest to the power supply

+3.3 V 3.30 V
    +5 V 5.13 V
    +12 V 12.10 V
    everest shows my system has healthy power rails under full load

it's been my experience that power supplies are one of the first components to fail in a computer, never hurts to have an extra sitting around

Comment

• BR7
      He is coming to your little town!
      • Aug 2005

That's good enough for me.Thanks again for all your help

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• BR7
        • Aug 2005

I was worried about Dells proprietary waring that I seen in the Dell forums.So I did a search in Neweggs comments and in the 8th or 9th page I found someone that had the Dell E510 and they said it was a perfect match.It seems he was worried just as.And it put my concerns at ease

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

if you find the perfect match after hook up posted because I may need a new one too
          sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

I have found older dells with cheapo pc100 memory on a pc133 mobo and a
            133 cpu P3

they are slightly better than gateway and heads above compaq/HP entry level machines

take your time pulling the old one out and remember where everything goes, expect to have a lot of extra connectors that your old computer doesn't use

everything is pretty backwards compatible
            Last edited by Chewy; 1 Jan 2007, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• BR7
              • Aug 2005

When I was talking about my PS over at the Dell forums trying to find out if it was compatible Some guy chimed in with this

Yes it will work in your E510 but it will be no upgrade. It's Specs are no better than your stock 305 Watt PSU. It's 18 Amps on the +12 Volt rail is the same as your PSU and also the other two Voltages are about the same.

You have to look at the Specs when upgrading the PSU not the claimed Wattage. This is the classic case of one being overated with the Peak or Max Rating (which psus can only hold for a couple of minutes) and the other being conservatively rated with Mean average or continuous Power rating.

You only get what you pay for, a $30 or $40 PSU with a overrated Wattage rating will not power the more powerful Video Cards well.

A better choice would be one of the two Quality PSUs I just recommended in another thread. They have good Specs. for their Wattage rateings and are easy fits into the E510. I have used the OCZ Modstream in a E510 of mine for over a year now.

Comparison shop for in . See store ratings and reviews and find the best prices on with PriceGrabber's shopping search engine.

Don't think I am doubting your knowledge(not at all the case) it's just that I am all confused now.It really sucks for me that I know nothing about the specs stuff and I am trying to get a better understanding of it

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

for this computer and only adding a hard drive and an optical
                draws 160 watts stock at max load

add a 300$ pciexpress vid card and then you'll need a 80-100$ PS

Comment

• BR7
                  • Aug 2005

Point taken. I will get the Thermaltake
                  Thanks

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2004

It seems 12X was doing great for a while I am now getting better results with burning at 8X with these TYG03's

Was also doing some re coping of some old burns from my with princo discs after ripping .ISO and re burning on TYG03 at 8 X here is the new result:
                    OLD 4X burn on crapy media

New burn with better media:

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2004

Some trouble ti these TYG03's again it seems:

For a while there after the firmware upgrade burns were looking great at 12X then the scores began to drop so I went to 8X and all was well again.

Now it seems to be hit or miss

2 burn same burner same 8X speed.

2 different results one plays the other doesnt

For the past 2 days now when burning an ISO it seems the first burn was a flop and then when I go to burn it a second time its good?

Is there something I can do or is this just this media?

Seemed to be a lot of low scores since I switched to this TYG03 never had this happen with the TYG02.

Comment

• NightTran
                        King of Digital Video
                        King of Digital Video
                        • Aug 2005

need to order TYg02
                        sigpic

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                          Queen of Digital Video
                          Queen of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by NightTran
                          need to order TYg02
                          I did order then they should be here soon the thing is I still have 200 + more of these. Well maybe.
                          I was ordering the value deal at super media store and always ended up with tyg02 and this pack started out tyg02 and about 20 or so into it they ended up being tyg03.

Not sure what the other 2 packs have in store, maybe tygo2 maybe tyg03 maybe both.

I did order the primuim that are all suposed to by tyg02 though.

I cant belive there is such a difference in the 2 both made by the same company.

Is this a problem with 16X media in general?

Comment

• NightTran
                            King of Digital Video
                            King of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2005

yup the new verbatim is the same way
                            sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

as the market has grown so has the production of media, quality control on the best blanks has slipped as production has ramped up

tyg01 was as good as it is ever going to be, lots of craftsman making disks
                              to supply a limited market, then came expansion and mass production, same ol story.

tyg02's which followed, slipped a little

tyg03's a little more

this is a vast oversimplification, but true none the less

like I said earlier, find older media, it may have been produced and made quite a while ago, but it was done better

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                                Queen of Digital Video
                                Queen of Digital Video
                                • Jan 2004

You would think with the way technology keeps changing that media would IMprove over time not go bad.

I guess this is the future though mass quantity and crap quality.

There was a time when quality was the main focus saddly in the day and age quality takes to much time and costs more money = less profits for the Big man.

Lord knows the big man just cant make enough Millions. So quality must suffer and thats not just for media its for everything we buy these days.

Comment

Working...