• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • discman
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2006

dvd + or dvd -

ive been reading a lot in the forums about the dvd-format not being recommended for burning.to test this theory i bought a pack of these.and hey presto my dvdcombi loves them.as does my playstation 2 and they are hard too please when it comes to blank media.so why do theses not come recommended.and what is other peoples experiences of the dvd-format?........
  • locoeng
    Who Farted?
    • Dec 2005

If looking merely at the format -R discs have a wider range of compatability with stand alone players, it was the first format introduced therefore it has been around longer and more older players support this format over +R flavored discs. If you look at what you can do with the discs as well, you'll notice that -R discs aren't capable of being booktyped to DVD_ROM (commercial DVD). The +R discs can do this, thus increasing the compatability on more players, including some players that will only read -R discs. So the reasoning behind recommending +R over -R isn't necessarily an arguement over which one is better, but more of which one has a higher compatability rate. +R discs alone without being booktyped have a lower compatability rate, but once booktyped that all changes.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
    Walt Kelly

Comment

• discman
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2006

good post,i also suppose its the old adage what ever works best for you.....PS most modern players play anything and everthing....
      Last edited by discman; 6 Aug 2006, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

They both seem to have a very high compatibility rate these days as old aliiances recognised that both formats are here to stay and built their players to recognise both formats.

If anything, the +Rs are more compatible - they can be booktyped and their refelctivity is the same as DVD-VIDEO.

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

and if i recall, the -R has a whopping 6MB extra space? wow!
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• locoeng
            Who Farted?
            • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
            and if i recall, the -R has a whopping 6MB extra space? wow!
            An advantage overlooked....thanks again LT.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
            Walt Kelly

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

I have had more luck with dvd dash R's than plus, I am still evaluating bitsetting. But it seems to be the way to go as software, firmware and hardware evolve to implement it.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

i've always considered +media devilish, tainted. -R is pure, wholesome and gives a warm fuzzy feeling when you look at the package. when ones players hate + you may feel this way too.
                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                Columbo moments...
                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

someday you'll get a new burner and someone will give you a +R disk and you will experiment and find they play when bitsett, if we live that long

friendly banter

Comment

• discman
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Jul 2006

well since switching to -my wife cant tell the diff between my backups and my originals.now that is a quality burn......

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
                      someday you'll get a new burner and someone will give you a +R disk and you will experiment and find they play when bitsett, if we live that long

friendly banter
                      don't forget i have the newer lite on which will handle +R. if someone ever gave me a +R disc i'd smash it to pieces on the spot!
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• locoeng
                        Who Farted?
                        • Dec 2005

I would send you one, but if your just going to smash it I won't bother..

Walt Kelly

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

lol
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• locoeng
                            Who Farted?
                            • Dec 2005

I could even print out a nice label to stick on it once you've burned...

Walt Kelly

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

since you are aquainted with the rules discman, you should be aware of rule 17. this is "friendly banter" which in moderation is perfectly acceptable here and there.
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...