• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachbumm33
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Feb 2007

ripit4me playback

just wondering why after an hour of playback of a dvd-r on a memorex brand disk, burnt with nero at 8x, and some burnt with imgburn at 4x, i get skipping and green pixelation and sometimes freezing....has done this in both my toshiba(7yrs old) and klh(4 yrs old) brand players. But these movies all work flawlessly in my daughters polaroid pdv-077pt portable dvd player. and yes, these dvds have stick on labels on them.Ive read extensively on this problem thanks to your posts, but I'm still looking for the best dvd player to play all my rips, any help?
    Last edited by beachbumm33; 6 Feb 2007, 04:29 AM.
  • Calimari
    • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by beachbumm33
    has done this in both my toshiba(7yrs old) and klh(4 yrs old) brand players.
    The average age of my players is 2 years. What the hell is that 7 years old player still doing there? Lasers lose their reading capacity you know.

Oh, and I have the feeling that this thread will be moved and you will be told to read the golden rules of burning

Comment

• johnnyd
      • Jun 2005

Memorex is of dubious quality(to put it mildly)so you are lucky they played in anything. Try verb or Ty

Comment

• beachbumm33
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Feb 2007

the 7 yr old player plays original dvd, not burnt, fine....time to get rid of it though, i did a media test on the memorex dvds and they are listed in the 2nd generation dvd, so i thought they would be ok....like i said they work fine in the poloroid.....im thinkin i should go with TY media....but still trying to find a stand alone player
        Last edited by beachbumm33; 6 Feb 2007, 05:21 AM.

Comment

• gs47
          • Oct 2005

I have some more expensive Sony DVD players and a couple of $35 cheapie ones. The expensive ones have had problems, one had to be returned after just a few months and the other doesn't work all the time. The inexpensive ones have worked flawlessly.
          Be sure the box or literature clearly says the player is rated to play DVD-R, DVD+R, & DVD-RW and you should be fine.

I've been using Verbatim discs and have never had one that I can say that the disk was the problem.

Be sure the firmware of your DVD drive is current too. Media changes over time so your drive should also be kept current. Just some info from my experiences...

Comment

• Calimari
            • Oct 2006

DVD players are very cheap these days.
            I'm very happy with my Philips DVP 5960, I picked that one because it has USB, HDMI, DivX,... But you don't need all that, a cheaper one will do.
            You have to remember, I pressed disc has pits and lands. A burnt disc remains flat, you burn 'black' spots on a chemical layer. So the reflection will always be less than a pressed disc. Also, after some time, a laser starts to 'hang' in its coils. So the distance between laser and disc becomes larger, resulting in worse reading. DVD-R's will be the first to give reading problems.
            About media: Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are very good (probably the best) discs. They have good reflectivity and they're 'time resistant'.

I suggest you pick good media and do some tests with different write speeds, then compare the results (DVDInfo, Nero CD Speed, Plextools).
            Once you find a good combination drive/media/speed, stick to it.
            Remember: never change a winning team

Comment

• blutach
              Not a god of digital video
              • Oct 2004

The Toshibas can be very picky, particularly the old ones. Does your output from the rip or DVD Shrink pixelate in the same spot? If not, then the burn/media/player is at fault.

Do get rid of the adhesive labels.

And, the octopusman is right. Thread moved to Blank Media and Burning forum. Read and implement the Golden Rules of Burning.

Regards
              Last edited by blutach; 6 Feb 2007, 09:33 AM.
              Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
              [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• beachbumm33
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Feb 2007

thought I had the right media/burner/program.....hence testing in the portable gave nothing but positive results, even with the labels.....totally agree on the $ end of things, the toshiba player was much more expensive and very picky, whereas an apex player$30 seemed to play everything before it died a slow painful death. My writer is only a month old, so didnt think firmware was an issue. So you recommend +r over -r? The memorex media is listed as 2nd generation, but I should look for media that is higher quality. And to blu, the movies seem to pixelate in defferent spots, never in the same spot, tried on mulitple players. I'm just looking for a player that has s video and optical sound capabilities...many players say they play all media, but don't, was just looking for a reasonable suggestion on a player, thank you to all for your help, you all rock!
                Last edited by beachbumm33; 6 Feb 2007, 11:20 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Comment

• beachbumm33
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Feb 2007

also, my apologies for posting this in the wrong place to begin with.

Comment

• beachbumm33
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Feb 2007

any specific verbatim dvd's or ty dvd's?

Comment

• beachbumm33
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Feb 2007

so far so good watching burnt movies on my xbox

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

most of us prefer the 16x dvd+r verbatim so we can bitsett, but an even better disk at the same or lower prices are the TY-G02's, 8x dvd-r.

the verbatim -r's lag a little behind the +'s in quality

the TaiyoYuden(TY) +R's are probably the best disks but still carry a premium price

Comment

• beachbumm33
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Feb 2007

thank you chewy, much appreciated....cant find the ty in any stores, even under sony, so ill order online, not comcerned about eh +r cost, any specifics on that? my burner, hp940 doesnt utilize bitsett, im assuming imgburn will take care of booktype and burn the +r to dvd-rom for best playback, hope im correct, thanks again.

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

I wouldn't pay the difference for the +R's if my burner didn't support bitsetting,
                            time will tell, too new a drive

Comment

• gs47
                              • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by beachbumm33
                              My writer is only a month old, so didnt think firmware was an issue.
                              Well it very well could be. The last 4 burners I've bought new were out of date the day I installed them. Takes literally seconds to find out;

Many ways to check but here is an easy and popular way; Open up ImgBurn OR DVDDecrypter and right click on the drive in question;

Then select to check firmware;

Then you will be shown what your firmware version is and you can click the OK and be shown what the most current version available for your drive is;

Comment

Working...