X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

DVD+R DL slow to "catch" ?

I tried my first DVD+R DL burn. Used Verbatim 8x dics. Once it started to play it looked great. Only thing seemed strange was it seemed like the DVD player took about 2 minutes to get to the "DVD Video" on screen prompt. I could hear it churning trying to load the disc. Is this common with DL?

I have Phillips dvp 5990. Just seems like it takes forever to load.

• soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

It's common with the Philips, I have one, it's a DVP 3962. I also have an RCA, which loads like lightning. My research on these players has come up with Pioneer being, la creme de la creme.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Thanks for the info Soup. Now I feel a bit better about buying a spindle of 'em.

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

You are welcome. I have only done 12 DLs today, slow day LOL.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Which Pioneer are you using? And if it's like $350 is there a good one for less? esp good if it does .divx

I have to try a couple more burns but so far my rig doesn't inspire confidence. Got the first one to load after about 2.5 minutes as I mentioned, the 2nd burn just hung forever. Even if they all worked, waiting 2 minutes to load is way too much stress. It's a shame because these 5990s are cheap and seem to do everything else well.

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

I bought an RCA before I found out about the Pioneer, so I don't have a Pioneer. From what I read, you should check out the Pioneer DV Series, DV400, DV410, DV420.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

you are not going to spend $350 on a DVD player or are you?

i'd rather opt for a blu-ray player in this price range and for example the latest models from Samsung (1600, 3600, 4600) have a much shorter loading time than most other bd player.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Hmmm, my 5990s are pretty new, so unless I miraculously find some media that loads smoothly looks like I'll continue using DVD-RB and AutoGK to burn DVD5. It would be nice now and then to do a DVD9 but experimentation is kind of expensive. Until you know what media will work best(if any) you have to buy those way over priced 5 packs.

Edit: I got lucky. The burner on my dual core sees the write strategy up to 8x and did a burn at full speed. The player only hemmed and hawed for about 20 or 30 seconds before coming up with the DVD Video notice. Seems to play ok.
                Last edited by MilesAhead; 29 Jun 2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...