• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

Is booktype really necessary anymore.

I have been using DVD+r's for some time now because of booktyping.

I am trying to figure if it is a real advantage these day's.

The TYG02's are cheaper than the YUDEN002's and I am trying to find a good reason for the more expensive ones

Also is there a big difference from 8X to 16X?
    Any thoughts?

TIA

• UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

maybe a different story but....

... i had to find out the hard way that the "auto change book type" as an imgburn default created more problems than it solved, because it set DVD-DL +R media to -ROM and exactly this conflicts with my blu-ray player!

the Samsung BD-P 1600 does NOT accept -rom booktyped media for playback.

i wasted an enormous amount of DVD-DL only to be told that i should check booktype and make sure it was set to +R instead of -rom for my DVD-DL +R

after DISabling the auto change option all my problems were solved and the player was able to read and play my media

Comment

• rosariorose9
      Just trying to learn...
      • Jan 2007

Great questions, burrell. I continue to booktype, but the +R's are consistently more expensive than the -R's. I'd love the more knowledgeable here to chime in as to whether the ability to booktype is worth that extra expense...
      Last edited by rosariorose9; 22 Nov 2009, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

I got into buying DVD+R because the first DVD burner I had that could burn at 16x only supported 8x using DVD-R but 16x using DVD+R.

I haven't tried anything DVD-R since 8x. I tend to stick with what works even though my burners now claim to support 16x burn speed for both types. I hate to spend money just to experiment. Esp. lately there's been deals on Verbatim DVD+R 16x so that's even more incentive to stock up on discs I know will work.

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

I buy what ever Verbatim is on sale.
          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• rosariorose9
            Just trying to learn...
            • Jan 2007

Would really like some hard input on this issue. What are the +'s and -'s ...so to speak? Chewy? Soup? Blutach? Gonwk? Lt. Columbo? Anybody????

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by rosariorose9
              Would really like some hard input on this issue. What are the +'s and -'s ...so to speak? Chewy? Soup? Blutach? Gonwk? Lt. Columbo? Anybody????
              This site may be a bit dated but it looks like it has some good basic info:

The official DVD FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions about DVD) of the Internet DVD newsgroups. The most comprehensive source of DVD technical information in the galaxy. By Jim Taylor.

Comment

• rosariorose9
                Just trying to learn...
                • Jan 2007

^^^

Very informative, comprehensivee FAQ, but unless I missed it (and it wouldn't be the first time!) the subject issue is not addressed...

Comment

• PurpleDemon
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Mar 2006

I did order 100 TY02's and they work in all the players in the house so far.
                  Gave me a quality score of 95 and PIF's were 143. That works for me.

Still curious about current day and compatibility.

Thanks all.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by rosariorose9
                    ^^^

Very informative, comprehensivee FAQ, but unless I missed it (and it wouldn't be the first time!) the subject issue is not addressed...
                    It addressed the question of the post above mine. Look closer.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

burrell84601 I think I'd be more worried about the burners than players. The newer players seem to handle more and more formats while burners can be finicky. One of my HP machines wouldn't burn 16x TY any faster than 4x. I don't understand how some of the write strategies get loaded in these things. My AMD dual core will burn Verbatim DL 8x discs at 4-8x. My quad core, which is 2 years newer, only sees them as 2.4-4x. It's a nuisance because you never know when a flash update will kill the thing off entirely. I burn with the burner than handles the blank the best.

Comment

Working...