Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abredt
    • Jan 2005

Bad Disk Message

I have the Pioneer 220 and have been making DVD-R DVDs, finalizing them, and playing them on a Sony DVD player. All was well until a few months ago when I started getting messages like "Incorrect Disk." It wouldn't play a store-bought movie DVD either.I assumed that the player was broken, tossed it and got a Toshiba.

The Toshiba worked fine until yesterday. I tried to play a DVD that it had already played OK the day before, but when I turned it on it said "Incorrect Disk" and displayed "BAD" on the display in the front. It does the same thing on a store-bought movie DVD.

I have no idea what is going wrong. The DVDs play fine on the Pioneer.

Warrenty was only 90 days.

Any ideas?
  • wastedweasel
    • Jun 2006

i've had that a few times before when i burned on low quality media. sometimes it would start other times it would not, i guess its got to do with the amount of errors on the disc. What type of media a re you using?

Comment

• abredt
      • Jan 2005

I use DVD-R from Verbatim and other brands. I called Pioneer once and they said that they recommend Verbatim.

After you have the problem, does the unit fail to play movie DVDs that you have purchased or just on the ones that you burned?

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

could be the player just doesn like the media your using or it could be shot.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

would heat be a factor?

Comment

• wastedweasel
            • Jun 2006

if i re-load them a few times they work fine

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

that's usually overheating and a poor player

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by wastedweasel
                if i re-load them a few times they work fine
                a couple of my players do the same with some rw's. just picky about media, but could be other things as suggested too.
                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                Columbo moments...
                "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

I had one bad player that was giving me fits with marginal burns and abused
                  pressed disks, got worse in warm weather, the player was sitting in front of a
                  west window. It acted just like a computer that was overheating. Older model cyberhome, my tosh plays in the worst heat.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

same with my toshiba. never has a problem with heat. 4 years old already. wish it had a counter to see how many hours are on it.
                    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                    Columbo moments...
                    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• abredt
                      • Jan 2005

I'm the original poster.
                      The warranty says 90 days. I've had it for 7 months and rarely used it. So I planned to take it to Costco to see if they have more leverage with Toshiba.

I'm sure they would ask what Toshiba said, so I called Toshiba. They said that the model of player that I have has a problem with tracking and to send it back. They will send me a NEW 2006 DVD player that has a new model number.

WOW - never expected that !! Thanks to all who replied.

Comment

• wastedweasel
                        • Jun 2006

Great that you got yourself a new player, just hope this one works better than the other two

Comment

Working...