Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rlhitman
    • Sep 2006

Help with PS2 reading DVD Backups

Hi all. I have been having some serious issues with my playstation 2 reading backups of my DVD Movies. I have tried Nero, DVD Decryptor, and DVDShrink to burn. I have had one or two successful reads, but for some reason I cannot duplicate. The media that was used for the first backup was Memorex 16x DVD+R. It will play on the PS2. I figured there wasn't that big of a compatibility issue with media on the PS2 so I bought some Sony 8x DVD+R's, and have yet to get a successful burn since. I am using a NEC ND-3540A with 1.04(custom) firmware. It has bitsetting options enabled and Region 1 enabled. I left only Region 1 because I thought maybe the PS2 had issues reading Region Free DVDs.

Using various methods such as: DVD-Video option in Nero, DVD(UDF) option(I heard that PS2's read UDF 1.5 format better), creating an ISO with DVDShrink then burning with DVD-Decrypter making sure the booktype was ALWAYS set to DVD-ROM. I have tried burning at 4x, 8x... I even tried a FujiFilm DVD+RW that I had at 4x and at 2.4x and neither tries worked. Im beginning to get very annoyed with the whole thing. Im positive its not a booktype issue. The only thing I can think of is that my PS2 absolutely hates these Sony DVD+R's and the FujiFilm DVD+RW... but I find it hard to believe that it refuses to play either. There is something that I must be doing differently, or it could be as simple as buying Memorex DVD+R's again. Please help!
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    I have been told that PS2 are picky when it comes to being able to read and play some back ups. I have a PS2 and I have never had a problem playing any back up in fact out PS2 has been known to play some discs that our other stand along players can not.

I use Verbatim and TY disc and I always use DVD-R

For more on good media there is a link in my sig that says the golden rules of burning go ahead and click that link.

I have not had any problems with any back up being region free its more about the media and burn speed I burn at 4X, I have used nero but I alo use IMGburn and I love it. All of my back ups play on my sons PS2.

I hope that helps you.

I also use RipIt4me which is also in my sig alone with the links for the guides.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• rlhitman
      • Sep 2006

thanks for your quick input. I have another question about Nero. Do you use the "DVD-ROM" option or "DVD-Video"? I would assume you are using .ISO files so I guess you'd have to use the DVD-ROM option. Also, I have a v5/v6 playstation 2, so if anyone knows any issues with these and DVD Playback, please let me know.
      Last edited by rlhitman; 27 Sep 2006, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

I really dont use nero very much any more I use nero now more for buring data and audio cd's.

Yes I back up my movies as .ISO you may want to give IMGburn a try it is Free. And it works great. The link for IMGburn is also in my sig. That is what I use the most for burning my back ups. I never use the dvd+r discs since I have ONE stand alone player in the house that wont play the dvd+r discs. That alone may be the trick with the playback.

Comment

• rlhitman
          • Sep 2006

Well Im trying some Memorex DVD-R's right now using Nero DVD-ROM option and burning a direct .ISO of the movie. Lets see what happens

Comment

• rlhitman
            • Sep 2006

well... no dice on that option. "DISK READ ERROR" on the playstation 2. This is starting to get VERY annoying... oh wait, it already has been annoying for the past week. I find it hard to believe that the ps2 is THIS picky about the brand of media used... if that is the problem.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
              Queen of Digital Video
              Queen of Digital Video
              • Jan 2004

Memorex are known to be kinda crapy. You may want to try Verbatim. If your burning from an ISO give IMGburn a try I get great burns with IMGburn its free so you have nothing to loose by tryin it.

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

Hi rlhitman,

I have been having some serious issues with my playstation 2 reading backups of my DVD Movies
                Just curious; do your backups play fine on your other players?

I have a PS2 and I have never had a problem playing any back up
                I also have not had a problem with our ps2 playing anything, that I can remember of...
                Just a thought; have you cleaned the ps2 lately w/ a disc cleaner?

well... no dice on that option. "DISK READ ERROR" on the playstation 2.
                An error that I have seen mentioned before where it is said that the laser/mechanism may need adjustment. Check out the link...

regards, katz

Comment

• Budreaux
                  • Jan 2006

Few questions.
                  First off, I mod PS2s and have a good understanding of the issues.
                  Do you have a mob chip in your PS2?
                  Does your PS2 play games fine?
                  What book type are you writing your DVDs.

I DO NOT reccomend watching movies, especially back-ups on your PS2. The PS2s are for gaming. There are other machine for watching DVDs that do it better anyways. The reason I say this is because of the laser. With backup discs, the laser has to work harder to read the disk. Pressed disks aren't an issue, but still, the PS2 was intended to be used for gaming, and V5 and 6s have some of the weakest lasers of all versions made. V7s have the best.

At any rate, it sounds like your laser is either dirty or got knocked out of adjustment. There are 2 pots for adjusting the laser, but I DO NOT recommend you adjust them. They are very sensitive and best left to a modder or repairer that understand the system boards.

If your able to play games ok, then try playing an original DVD in your PS2.
                  Narrow it down to backup copies only.
                  FYI, I have several modded PS2s and I've used many forms of media brands. I've never had one fail to read. However, I would not use anything other than TYs or Verbs for your PS2 backups.

Budreaux
                  Last edited by Budreaux; 27 Sep 2006, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

Do you have a mob chip in your PS2?
                    Nope
                    Does your PS2 play games fine?
                    Yep
                    What book type are you writing your DVDs.
                    I usually set to DVD-Rom, but it will play the DVD-R also, which doesn't get bitset.
                    This is on a 5+ year old unit that gets ALOT of hard use/play time on it!

regards, katz

Comment

• Budreaux
                      • Jan 2006

Do your backups play in a standalone DVD player?

Comment

• katzdvd
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Feb 2006

Do your backups play in a standalone DVD player?
                        Sure do; I mainly use the standalone, but on ocassion, if I have a movie stopped at a certain point in it, & I don't want to lose the place, I will use the ps2.
                        BTW, I mainly only use TY & Verb media. Try to stick to the quality stuff after having experiences with junk media falling apart in a short time.

Regards, katz

Comment

• Budreaux
                          • Jan 2006

Wait a sec, are you the original poster? There are 2 different screen names in use here over this issue?

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2004

@katzdvd,

We are confused here, are you have trouble getting your backups to play on your PS2 also?

Comment

• rlhitman
                              • Sep 2006

I appreciate all of the responses. Im thinking it may be an issue with the ps2's laser. I remember one of the backups I made actually played fine in an older TV/DVD Combo thingy that I have... some cheapo piece. So, if it works in that... it HAS to work in a ps2, unless something is way out of whack. I might try to readjust the laser or clean it. Im not too worried if I fubar it. I don't use it much for gaming anyways, lol. It's mainly my DVD player.

Comment

Working...