Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marsman
    • Aug 2003

vhs to pc recording

I have an ati all in one wonder " Radeon capture card " I can record video off my direct tv fine but I am trying to backup my VHS tapes to DVD. my ATI recording is telling me "the broadcast video is being protected and can only be viewed"

I have over 100 VHS tapes is there any way to remove the protection on my ati?

I found some information on the web taking about a file called "ATITVO32.DLL "
  • marsman
    • Aug 2003

What good is a web forum that never get answers??

this has been look at 77 times and no one out there has a responce???

Comment

• ella
      Suspended
      • Aug 2003

HI.
      You problem is Macrovision protection set on most
      comercial Videos ( and DVD ). What you have to do is find out how
      to disable it. You have two ways to do it.
      First is to remove macrovision from incoming video.
      Secod is to remove macrovision detection in your capture card. Try to look for ATI drivers disabling macrovision detection.

( To Moderator: I'm sorry for my previos posts which was taken as
      spam. I was not intended to do it. I just answer the question )

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To marsman

Download and install "Free VCR", which can be found at multiple sites available via a Googlesearch:

Patience is a virtue ;>}

Comment

• ella
          Suspended
          • Aug 2003

But the problem was a macrovision.
          Does freeVCR can remove macrovision detection from ATI capture card?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To ella

Feel free to research the purpose of the software that I pointed out to "marsman", who initiated this thread...

(and stop using it as an excuse to "pimp" your commercial hardware in your "signature")

Comment

• ella
              Suspended
              • Aug 2003

Look who's talking.
              You spam the forum with your SW which has nothing to do with
              macrovision and has a lot of bugs !!!
              I'm a SW eng and had a look at the source code of your damd
              program. My suggestion is not to use it. The coding style and
              apoints to the beginer programmer. I founf a number of bugs which can damage stability of your Windows system if you are going to use it.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To ella

I'm sure all of the posters to this forum, myself included, appreciate the fact that you've now (permanently, I hope) removed the link to commercial software from your "signature"...

Comment

• David_Janssen
                  • Sep 2003

Re: vhs to pc recording

Originally posted by marsman
                  I have an ati all in one wonder " Radeon capture card " I can record video off my direct tv fine but I am trying to backup my VHS tapes to DVD. my ATI recording is telling me "the broadcast video is being protected and can only be viewed"

I have over 100 VHS tapes is there any way to remove the protection on my ati?

I found some information on the web taking about a file called "ATITVO32.DLL "
                  I don't know if you want to spent some money, but your solution
                  is mostly helped by hardware, there are "boxes" that "clean"
                  the signal for duplicating purposes, but what i use is a "converter"
                  that makes a dv signal from a analog composite or s-video
                  signal, you dont need a special capture card, only a firewire port,
                  and the software of your own choice, the device only comes
                  with a demo prog. which you don't even need too...
                  This device has a "cheat-mode" for Macrovision....
                  Thanks,

David.

Comment

• biline
                    • Jun 2004

I found one way to remove macrovision from my Ati-All-in Wonder 9000
                    details and files are all available from my article which can be found here:

hope this helps.....

Comment

• Easier Way?
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Jan 2003

I used an "auto video signal conditioner" box, made in Taiwan and quite inexpensive. It only has composite in and out but would be fine for VHS copies. It works well on copy protected sat-tv films.

Comment

• biline
                        • Jun 2004

What you may not understand about ATI's Macovision is the fact if an ATI card detects Macrovision in the incoming signal it will refuse to record it!!!! in fact in diffrent versions of the Multimedia software the record button is disabled the second it sees Macrovision in the signal and if you're recording it stops as well
                        I have the SIMA Copymaster and the Provision+ DVD V2 which both claim to remove Macrovision they do correct 90% of the problems with the output but they don't fool ATI's Macrovision detection. In fact as far as I'm concerned any tape that contains Macrovision is useless to copy without one of the previous mentioned devices.
                        Last edited by biline; 31 Jul 2004, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Easier Way?
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Jan 2003

Would a really cheap capture card lack macrovision? Even an avi capture would get things started.

Comment

• biline
                            • Jun 2004

The Problem is that most cheap cards capture poorly. I had an ATI TV Wonder VE (Value Edition) it captured in mono only and the capture quality was pretty bad.... I Recently tried the AverMedia PVR USB 300 and it captured some material pretty well with macrovision but some stuff looked pretty bad Interestingly enough the Original drivers that came with it recorded everything, but the last update I did stopped it from working when capturing a Macrovision encoded signal! Basically pressure from the recording Industry makes all capture cards comply to the desire to eliminiate all possible copying, I have heard some cards (can't remember name Haupage I think) by default record Macrovision tapes just fine. But I don't know how they cope with the second type of Macrovision, Even with the enhancers I've tried I still get repeating stuck frames. I have both the Sima Copymaster and the Provision+ V2, both of them failed on that type of Macrovision I actually have only 2 VHS tape that I can't transfer due to this newer Macrovision Tom hanks in "Big" (1989) and Apollo 13 (1995) its a Digital transfer.

Does anyone out there actually know what versions of Macrovision exisit on VHS I know DVD uses a completely new version but I was under the impression that in the analogue world of VHS only the first version was used, but if thats the case did they just improve on it or did they actually invented a new version?

Comment

• know-all-69
                              • Jan 2004

Macrovision and others

Hi Biline,
                              There is only 3 types of macrovision, levels 1, 2 and 3, only level 1 can be used on VHS tape, level 2 and 3 cause stripes either 2 or 4 lines wide, which is done in the color burst so could not be used for protection of VHS. However there are other things like CGMS which could be used for tapes. Have a look at this http://www.icos-tech.com/products/csmac.html I know these work for all NTSC tapes and DVD, but require component input (specificaly designed for USA market for copying DVD to tape). There is also http://www.icos-tech.com/products/macmaster.html which also works on all PAL and NTSC tapes, but not all NTSC DVD's.

Comment

Working...