Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jello
    • Aug 2002

AVI Compression

I transferred an analog video via Dazzle Bridge hardware to avi files...but they're huge and I'm supposed to fit two of them onto a 750MB CD! Does anyone have a good recommendation for compression software? Winzip doesn't work for some reason..errors. And some other freeware I found requires the CD recipient to have their native plugins or something...not good. I need everyone to be able to open these at the end of the day. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks!
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

have you ever thought about using a compression codec such as DIVX5?

you should be able to reduce your filesize considerably and everyone else will be able to watch this divx5-avi by installing the official (and free) codec from divx.com.

the software you could use for this compression would be virtualdub.

Comment

• Jello
      • Aug 2002

I don't want the recipients to have to download anything....they're a bunch of corporate numbskulls that don't know anything about computers! Any other compression software (hopefully freeware) that anyone knows of? They can also be converted to mpeg or another generic format everyone can see...don't have to stay avi
      Thanks!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Your choice, then, lies in using either MPEG-1 (MPG) or MS MPEG4 V2 compression (AVI). Both are supported by stock installation of Windows (As a note, WMP8 in WinXP does not properly play MS MPEG4 V2 contents. You need to use WMP 6.4 instead).

To create MPEG-1 contents, you can use TMPGEnc. To create MS MPEG4 V2 contents, you can use either Virtualdub or nandub, the latter allowing 2-pass encoding mode with this codec (ie. better results).

Comment

• Jello
          • Aug 2002

Thanks for all your help! I'll see how it goes...assuming I can find a copy of the software on the web...?

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

You're welcome. You should not have any trouble looking for most of these software. Here are a few links to try out:
            Digital Digest DivX XviD Software Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, XviD and AVI software, latest news and updates

Comment

• Jello
              • Aug 2002

Perfect! I actually found the software before reading your next post and it worked brilliantly. I really appreciate the help!

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Glad to have been of help anyway.

Comment

Working...