Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mujibabbasi
    • Sep 2002

DV Capture quality

Hi, I am a newbie in this exciting field, can anyone help me to find out the reasons I am getting poor quality DV capture from my Sony Digital 8 TRV 120 Camera.
    The captured clips show a lot of artifacts, specialy on bright white objects, some portions of video will have blinking artifacts and edges are having criss cross lines, I dont think these are caused by interlacing, since I could not remove them by deinterlacing.
    which I can do by using deinterlacing option in power DVD software DVD player, and also the option in Adobe Premier.
    I could see the jagged edges even on the television screen, which is an interlaced medium. But the artifacts are not visible, that could be because of low resolution screen, when I directly connect the camera to TV.
    Is this happening to this particular Camera or any thing else is at fault?
    I am running a pentium 3 600 MHz machine, with a generic 1394 card.
    Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Mujib Abbasi
  • Rincewind256
    • Sep 2002

maybe there are some problems with your computersystem. please describe everything of your system resources, so we can find the errors.

Comment

• mujibabbasi
      • Sep 2002

I am attaching herewith a picture grabbed from the captured footage. You would see easily the artifacts, and the lines, specialy the white portion of the airplane rudder, it will be easily seen if the picture is expanded to the full screen.
      The system specs are:
      Processor: Intel Pentium 3, 600Mhz
      Hard disk: 40 GB, DMA enabled
      RAM: 256 Mb
      Creative PC DVD RAM, drive, Sczi
      hp cd writer 9300, IDE
      Ausus 6800 delux, video card
      Generic Firewire card, 1394
      capture software: Windows Movie maker/ Adobe premier 6
      Windows XP/ME, dual boot.

One aspect to consider is that, when I convert the captured AVI footage to MPEG2 using TMPGenc, the resulting file, when viewed through Power DVD, software player, with deinterlacing selected, will play a much better video, with less artifacts visible, then the original AVI.
      I hope inteligentia of this learned forum might be able to find the underlying problem.
      Thanks.
      Mujb Abbasi
      Attached Files

Comment

• Rincewind256
        • Sep 2002

Is the size of the picture the orginal size from the camera?
        You have filmed against the sun. There, sunbeams can mirror themselves in your lense. Maybe the artifacts in your video are reflected sunbeams?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

In TMPGEnc, try using "Inverse Telecine" instead of one of the deinterlace filters...

Comment

• mujibabbasi
            • Sep 2002

I think I have found the cause of the poor DV capture quality, but dont knowhow to rectify it.
            The DV captured through windows movie maker, although made through the full 25 Mbps rate, when brought into premier 6, will report that its half the resolution of the full 720by 480, and its verifiable, since it plays back in windows media player or any other media player like power DVD, will show it with a small size screen, at 100% sze, although you could enlarge it, but then degradation sets in.
            Ok now when you directly capture it through Premier 6, using the template of DV NTSC, which is 720 by 480, the resulting file will be shown as having 720 by 480 resolution, but it will again be thre same size when viewed through any media players, that means the captured footage is always 360 by 240, no mater captured through any application.
            Now its realy interesting to find out what is the cause of reduced resolution capture?
            Any body has any answer in this regard?
            I will be greatful.
            I am going nuts over this.
            Thanks.
            Mujib.

Comment

Working...