Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manofwar
    • Sep 2002

So many codecs, so little knowledge!

I am new to this forum, so please be patient with me.

How can I determine which codecs are installed on my machine via Media Player 7.1 ? and I also have DivX 4 installed.

After identifying which codecs are installed, where can I get downloadable executable to be able to back it up, for when I am doing my pc over again, and then could only execute these executables, to install them, without having to have media player download it, each time it's needed.

Sorry if this sound silly, but it's just my way of doing things?

If there is other previous threads on this subject on this forum, I could not find them, so even a pointer to the thread will help.

Thanks

Manno {The short for Manofwar, for the people who do not like to type the long name}
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: So many codecs, so little knowledge!

How can I determine which codecs are installed on my machine...
    Go to Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers -> Video Codecs. You will see the collection of installed codecs under the Property tab.

After identifying which codecs are installed, where can I get downloadable executable to be able to back it up, for when I am doing my pc over again, and then could only execute these executables, to install them, without having to have media player download it, each time it's needed.
    Use a codec pack, such as Nimo or Tsunami. When you reinstall Windows, all you need to do is run the pack, tick which codecs you wish to install and let the installation begin.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

moreover, you could use GSPOT to examine the movie at hand.
      it will tell you which codec was used for creating the file and will let you know if this codec is installed on your pc.

Comment

• Manofwar
        • Sep 2002

Well ...... Enchanter thanx for the quick response

I forgot to mention what OS I use {Win98 2nd edition} I found the audio and video codecs under Multimedia properties ->Devices->Video/Audio compression codecs.

Can both Nimo or Tsunami codec packs be used together? If say a codec is not supported in Nimo but in Tsunami or will this cause problems?

I tend to use other movie viewers e.g. Viplay and Power DVD, and sometimes they also complain about not finding a codec for the specific file, but it plays via e.g. Windows media player? Do'nt they all use the same codecs then?

Sorry for the noobie questions, but I have to learn.

I frequently read articles etc. on other movie related webpages, but they tend to cater for people, more advanced in this concept

Manno

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Can both Nimo or Tsunami codec packs be used together? If say a codec is not supported in Nimo but in Tsunami or will this cause problems?
          I would prefer sticking to only one codec pack which has all the codecs I need. It keeps everything simple.

I tend to use other movie viewers e.g. Viplay and Power DVD, and sometimes they also complain about not finding a codec for the specific file, but it plays via e.g. Windows media player? Do'nt they all use the same codecs then?
          I'd assume all players make use of the codecs installed in the system. I don't usually use PowerDVD to view any AVI files (WMP will do well and fast enough) and I haven't experienced anything like your case.

Comment

Working...