X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MovieFreak0307
    • Mar 2002

Odd Video/Audio Files??

I recently purchased a computer game with videos on it. I got into the files and found GYM and KFA files but I cannot view them. I think I need a converter or something so that I can view these videos as MPG or what not. Please Respond!!!
  • benedict
    Lord of the 4th Estate
    • Jun 2002

This could be one of two problems, both of which the manufacturer of your games intended for you to have. For obvious reasons, they don't want you to be able to copy these files.

These may be actual video files for which they have simply renamed the file extension so that your system wouldn't have a player assigned to them. You could try renaming (a copy of) them to "avi" or "mov" or any other file extension that works in your video players. If they play at that point, bingo! You're done!

The greater probability, however, is that whatever format they are in has been tampered with to make them unplayable in any file extension. In other words, they've thrown in some garbage at the start of their files that only their games know how to remove.

Still, all is not hopeless. You can quite easily record what appears on your monitor to a video file that you can process. You can do this using CamStudio, available as freeware from SourceForge. Just go out to that site and type the name in. The download is only a half meg, so even if you are on dial-up it won't be a problem.

BTW: SourceForge is a great site. Check it out. Thousands of freeware (GPL) projects are going on out there. Some just starting up, others actually having a finished product. CamStudio is merely one of the "finished" products that has just come out of this site.
    It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• MovieFreak0307
      • Mar 2002

Thanks?

Thanks a lot for your advice. If I use your recomended program, what about the audio?? And also, isn't there just some program or converter I can load these files into to make them an MPG, AVI or whatever? The files are called KFA and GYM, a few are audio but most are videos. Thanks a lot and Please Respond!!

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

would you pls stop posting the very same question over and over again??

crossposting isnt helping anyone!

s=&threadid=12953

Comment

Working...