Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cole
    • Jun 2002

Dvd2avi

Hi guys...i have a question about DVD2AVI in the setting of audio of 48->44.1KHz you can choose between off, low, mid, high, ultrahigh what is that for exactly? i made some test today i did a movie at off one at low and one at high the only differance it take a long time at high but they all sound the same.
    can someone explain to me what is it?
    thanks
    Cole
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

those settings refer to the downsampling quality

dont worry if you didnt hear a difference.
    quite a few tool have very good routines which work much faster than so called HQ options and still they result in excellent quality!

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

If you are creating the audio solely for viewing on your computer, I suggest you don't downsample your audio. The reason is simply because there is no advantage in downsampling it at all, unless your soundcard is incapable of outputting 48kHz (which also means you ought to get a newer and more up-to-date soundcard ). Another thing is that most consumer soundcards (those based on the AC'97 codec, to be more precise) will automatically upsample ALL non-48kHz sounds to 48 kHz (this is a limitation of the AC'97 codec). Hence, there is no point in downsampling your audio to 44.1kHz when your soundcard itself is going to upsample it again. At worst, it will sound different from the original and not for the better.
      Last edited by Enchanter; 30 Oct 2002, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• cole
        • Jun 2002

sorry but what is that means downsampling?
        i usually make vcd and svcd and like anybody else i'm trying to have the best quality i wish it was possible to have the dolby digital sound.
        here is my setting
        output method= decode to WAV
        dolby digital decode=dynamic range control=normal
        dolby digital decode=dolby surround downmix
        48->44.1KHz=high
        it usually take 1 hours a movie is it good ? or can i change something to to a good quality but faster?
        thanks again
        cole

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Since you're making (S)VCD, you need to use 44.1kHz then (VCDs don't support 48kHz). To answer your other question, downsampling is to reduce the sampling rate of a given source. In this case, 48 kHz sound (sampling rate of the original DVD) is downsampled to 44.1 kHz sound (which is the only sampling rate supported by VCDs). As long as the downsampling algorithm is good, you shouldn't notice much difference.

Comment

• cole
            • Jun 2002

i dont understand? your saying that VCDs don't support 48kHz
            but like i said i made some test and even at off
            (48->44.1KHz= off ), i still have the same sound and it wor in my dvd player.

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

As long as it works, then that's good for you. It does puzzle me though how 48kHz sound is accepted in VCD.

Comment

Working...