Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • traigo666
    • Dec 2002

Video, no Audio in GKnot DVD2AVI

I just spent 18 hours encoding a 3 hour movie from a DVD-8 to Avi. The size is 750+ Mb and the quality is excellent. The problem is, there is no audio! I have a great movie with great quality with a great Mb size, but no sound!

I am using Divx5.02 Pro with GKnot. The VOB's take up 8 Gb and I am anxious to get that off my hard drive.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks,

Traigo
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

It is likely that you have not processed the audio and muxed it into the AVI file. To check, do the following:
    1. Open AVI file in Virtualdub
    2. Go to File -> File Information
    3. Post what information you see here

Comment

• traigo666
      • Dec 2002

Ok, I loaded the file into virtualdub and came up with this:

frame size: 352x240 29.970 FPS
      #Frames/time: 261098 (2:25:11)
      Decompressor: Divx Pro 5.02 Codec
      # Keyframes: 883
      Total keyframe size: 26756
      Total Delta frame size: 33969

All audio is blank

And I'm sorry, the move was 2.5 hours not 3, but I still don't have sound. I tried opening the vob's in windvd and they play with sound.

Thanks

Traigo

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

All audio is blank
        Just as I thought. The sound was not processed and muxed with the video. What you have there is purely video only. You will need to extract the audio, process it and mux it with the existing AVI file. Here's what you can do:
        1. Rip audio to WAV using Graphedit/Vob2audio
        2. If you wish, you can amplify the volume of the audio using an audio editor, such as Cooledit
        3. Convert the WAV to MP3 using an mp3 encoder, such as LAME
        4. Mux the MP3, with the video you have created, using nandub

Note:
        To Create the required LST file, open a TXT file (renamed to LST) and input the following:
        E:\Folder\VTS_01_1.VOB
        E:\Folder\VTS_01_2.VOB
        E:\Folder\VTS_01_3.VOB
        E:\Folder\VTS_01_4.VOB
        E:\Folder\VTS_01_x.VOB (The last VOB in the series)

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

i always handle sound separately from the videostream and mux it later on.

for details on how to extract/process audio and finally mux it click my upper anigif.

btw: dont go for such low resolutions!!

Comment

• traigo666
            • Dec 2002

The reason all is like it is above, is that I intend to split this file to 2 vcd's for my stand alone dvd player.

Thanks for the other information. I will try and post my findings later.

Thanks

Traigo

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

?????

you're not saying you're encoding twice only to receive a VCD format in the end??

Comment

• traigo666
                • Dec 2002

I want to copy my dvd's to vcd's. All the articles I could find said to convert the vob's to divx5.02 then use tmpegenc to convert to mpeg-1 for vcd then burn. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Traigo

Comment

• gs0666
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Nov 2001

Instead of encoding to DivX and then to VCD,open the .d2v file created by DVD2AVI in TMPGEnc.This will save you a LOT of time.
                  Last edited by gs0666; 3 Jan 2003, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Actually, instead of opening the D2V file as gs0666 suggested, you could simply open the AVS script file that GK has generated (you have set the VCD resolution via GK, haven't you?). By doing so, you are spared the task of having to crop & resize, and doing any other pre-processing tasks (ie. you simply open the AVS file in TMPGEnc and you are set to go).

And also, extract the audio to WAV as I previously outlined. After you have your WAV extracted, you will need to downsample its sampling rate to 44.1KHz (VCDs don't accept 48KHz sounds) using an audio editor. Input the WAV file into TMPGenc.

Hint: to make things easier for you, TMPGEnc comes with templates for various flavours of VCDs and I recommend that you make use of them.
                    Last edited by Enchanter; 3 Jan 2003, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

in case your standalone player supports SVCD you better go for that format instead of vcd, since it has way better quality.

even if your hardware doesnt, i'd suggest you give DVD2SVCD a try - it should also create vcd not only Svcd

this tool will let you do the conversion from vob to vcd/svcd and thus spare you some time and will not decrease quality due to re-encoding from avi => vcd.

btw you should have come here earlier - i still cant believe there are guides on the net which say that dvd to vcd requires avi

Comment

• traigo666
                        • Dec 2002

Hell! See that didn't make sense to me when I went searching to try and find out how to go from DVD to VCD. I've tried the DVD2SVCD but can't figure out how to get it to work. I'm a network admin/hardware tech/programmer. I don't know anything about muxing and AC3 audio and NTSC and PAL. Ask me to install a new hard drive or write a DB proggy and I can do it.

I want a simple, easy to understand way to rip my dvd's to my hard drive (I can do this with Vstrip), convert those VOB's to mpeg-1 format, then split it and burn it to 2 or 3 or however many cd's I want. Is it truly possible?

I will try the suggestions listed above when I get home and see how they come out.

Thanks,

Traigo

Comment

• traigo666
                          • Dec 2002

PS:

BTW: My standalone only plays vcd's on CD-R and CD-RW.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Traigo

Comment

• UncasMS
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2001

the link above to dvd2svcd should also provide you with some guides.

i'm not saying dvd2svcd is the one and only way, but i would definitely give it a try. this tool will make use of either cce or tmpeg to do the transcoding part and thus should make things easier for the user.

Comment

Working...