Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miles6699
    • Nov 2002

Mpeg Conversion to Avi

I've been getting some movies recently that are in SVCD format...actualy the start out in .bin/.cue files and I've been using nero to convert to SVCD using the Image CD option...however, these new files wont play on my PC software DVD player or any other player like bsplayer...If i use software such as VCDGear i can strip the Mpeg file out of the .cue/.bin file and this is viewable on ASUSDVD...So here is my question is there a simple way to just convert them all over to DivX that will maintain decent picture...I guess its only 480X480 now...Or atleast get software that will play my new SVCD CD's cause right now I got pretty coasters i guess....Dunno why anyone would encode a movie to Mpeg2 but.......Help would be apreciated. Thks..
    If at first you don't succeed get a BIGGER hammer !
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

In my experience in order to play an svcd disc. You must have a DVD-ROM DRIVE installed on your PC. A cd-rom/rw drive will not suffice.

Also, if you intend only to view the files on your PC, why burn at all? Install daemon tools and mount the *.cue file. You can then play the bin/cue combination on your software dvd player.

Comment

• miles6699
      • Nov 2002

Burning SVCD

Ahh... you see my DVD rom is out of commision right now but when it is up you think it will play the SVCD...Good...The reason I am burning is that the files are all like 2-3GB therefore 3-4 CD's and I just don't have the HD space for that...I've been dloding 2 a day and 80Gig HD only spreads so thin...lol...Thks...hope to have the DVD Rom in tonight so hopefully the SVCDS will play in that...

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

Yes a dvd-rom drive should fix your problem.

There are those of us who still live on 30 gb Hdd

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

nope

you definitely wont need a dvd drive in order to be able to play the files!

install powerdvd or windvd and load the files through FILE MODE

tsunamis filterpack 396 might be worth having installed as well since it provides playback filters

Comment

• miles6699
            • Nov 2002

Tsunami..

Well i was wondering if there was a missing Codec/filter....But I just installed Nimo...and I've got a whole lot of others installed too...sure its ok to just dump Tsunami on as well...I've already had some films that went funny on me from other codec packs...ie the morgan pack...But 95% still work....

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

from my p-o-v and experience there are no filterpacks as reliable as tsunamis 396!

nimo has caused not few errors on many systems!

Comment

• miles6699
                • Nov 2002

tsunami

So if i go with Tsunami...do i need to uninstall the other ones first???...will Tsunami replace all of the codecs i need...Xvid, AC3...etc....for typical playback of downloaded movies..

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

download 396 from my page and install it via CUSTOM settings (keep all defaults + maybe moragn stream switcher for bilingual files)

you wont have to uninstall other stuff

Comment

• miles6699
                    • Nov 2002

Tsunami problems...UncasMs

well i installed Tsunami on two separate Pc's and I got the same problem....Windows98SE says....problem with file.....Winaspi.dll...was replaced by an older version...and now my burner does not work?????..what happened..?...and how do i restore this file...???

Comment

Working...