Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • igotid24
    • Jan 2003

some avi's not recognized all of a sudden

i've had this problem a few times in the past but never enough to make it a real problem, until now...
    this particular incident is with a bunch of episodes of a tv show that i have. some of the files can't be opened, no player will play them, no editor will open them, and no info viewer recognizes them, except for gspot which says they are variable bitrate mp3s, but says nothing specific about them. now i know for a fact that i have been able to open them earlier but somehow now i cannot.
    the only thing that makes sense to me is if somehow the avi header got corrupt, but i am really not that sure. i'm fairly positive its not a codec problem because they are for the most part all encoded with the same codec, which i have never had a problem with, and the few that are different also work perfectly.
    and now its starting to irritate me because i've been trying to watch them all reacently and i am constantly finding new ones that don't work.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

post a gspot screenshot anyway!

Comment

• igotid24
      • Jan 2003

gspot screen

heres what gspot shows me

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Please repost your attachment...

Comment

• igotid24
          • Jan 2003

try two...check attachment for pic.
          Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"the only thing that makes sense to me is if somehow the avi header got corrupt"

That appears to be the case...

Based on your statement that this has happened before, I'd suggest that you immediately backup ALL of your videos to CD-R. I'm guessing that you've either got a hard drive problem or a nasty virus...

Comment

• igotid24
              • Jan 2003

damn it...i was really hoping not to have to do that, because it means going through them and doing a lot of burning (over 550 files that totals a little over 50 gigs of videos that whatever it is could be affecting)
              but i guess if there is no there way, its gotta be done.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Moral of the story: back-up regularly.

Comment

Working...