Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaw_1973
    • Jan 2003

Help please, very new and thick

Please could someone talk me through step by step how I split a movie into 2. I have been told that if they end in avi then i should use Virtualdub. I have downloaded this but how do I use it?
    Please, Please be patient and help me through this.
  • gs0666
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Nov 2001

1.Load file in VDub.
    2.Set both Video and Audio tabs to Direct Stream Copy.
    3.Mark start of movie [HOME button]
    4.Move the slider half way into the movie,press the small yellow key that points right (Next keyframe)and mark end of fist part with[END button]
    5.Save Avi [F7]
    6.Press [HOME botton] and move slider to the end of the movie.
    7.Press [END button]
    8.Save Avi [F7]
    Last edited by gs0666; 23 Jan 2003, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• binkybuckle
      • Jan 2003

1.start VIRTUAL DUB
      2. Go >'file' menu>'open video file', and browse to the 'master avi' file you want to split
      3. Go >'Video' menu>'direct stream copy'
      4. Go >'Audio' menu>'direct stream copy'
      5. Then left click once the 'mark in' radio button at the bottom of the comp screen(12th radio button in from the left)(this 'marks' the start of the 'first avi split file')
      6. Hold down the 'shift' button on the keyboard and left click the trackbar{above the bottom radio buttons}(hold the left mouse & shift button down), slide the trackbar to the desired position for the end of the 'first avi split file'(usually about half way).note: if you dont hold down the shift keyboard button while doing this, virtual dub will go through every frame in the movie and it will take a long time, holding down the shift button makes virtual dub skip all frames execpt the 'key frames' also note that to get a valid split file, the split must be made on a key frame.
      7. Then left click once the 'mark out' radio button at the bottom of the comp screen(13th radio button in from the left)(this marks the end of the 'first avi split file')
      8. Go >'file' menu>'save avi"(F7), which will save the first split of the orignial avi file(save under a different name than the orignial file you are splitting.
      9. When virtual dub is done saving the 'first avi split file', Press the 'mark in" radio button(by rights the trackbar slider should be where you ended the 'first avi split file' you just saved(about half way)
      10. press the 'end' radio button(7th radio button from the left at the bottom of the comp screen ) It will move the trackbar slider to the end of the film.
      10. press the 'mark out' radio button.
      11. Go >'file' menu>"save avi"(F7) and save the 'second split avi file' as a diferent name than the 'first split avi file'

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

you should have all the infos you need.
        in case you want to take a look at some screenshots as well, maybe you might want to take a look at 6.7 in this part of my guide:

Comment

• gs0666
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Nov 2001

To : binkybuckle

Did I miss anything in my post?
          If so Please explain.....

Comment

• binkybuckle
            • Jan 2003

to gs0666

Its not that you missed anything, its just that when I was a new V-DUB user(long time ago), I too had trouble, not because the instructions given to be were bad, they were not. It was just because the FAQ's and 'official' guides lacked detail-specifics. Your instruction were good, complete and correct. But having been through the same thing before, i felt that I could further help the person who made this topic. For example: If JAW_1973 had a slow computer(500-900Mhz) and he did not press the shift button whilst sliding the trackbar, he could have a long wait for the computer to get to the point of the movie he wanted to. I was merely expanding on your true directions.

Comment

Working...