X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenrot
    • Nov 2002

DivX and Dolby ? A moral question....

Hello folks...

Let me introduce you into my little problem...

Some month ago I've bought the new Creative Soundcard with THX support and so on... and furthermore the inspire 6700 6.1 dolby system...
    I've done that because I wanna have this cool cinema sound when I am watching films.
    For sure you know it works great if you are watching DVDs.

But I also wanna watch DivX Films. The quality is great but one thing is buggering me...

I know that some films have "AC3" within their filename. So Dolby Digital is supported. But what about all the other films? I mean... It's no fun to have a sound system for great sound but not the suitable movies for it....

There is an option that you can upmix 2speaker sound into 5 speaker sound... but I did not test it right now and have no idea if it works the same way as with having real 5.1 sound...

so... can anyone tell me if there is an option to watch that kind of movies without digital track as there would be one? maybe with an ac3 codec?

thx for help
    ebenrot
  • The Maynard
    • Jan 2003

If you're talking about converting a pro-logic source to 5.1 it may be possible but it will not be as good as actual pure 5.1 sound. It will do some matrixing of the sound kinda like Pro-Logic 2 does and give you matrixed seperated left and right rears. They won't be full range sound at all. As to how to do that, I don't know. I just thought I'd give you at least this bit of info. Good luck though.

Comment

• Greg2k
      • Jan 2003

I'm looking up on that one, Ebenrot.

But since you've got this fabulous piece of kit, I recommend you activate all the EAX surround settings of your sound card. It may not be as good as real 5.1 sound, but at least you get a better "spacial experience" from those 2.0 DivX movies.

Greg2k

Comment

• Ebenrot
        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Greg2k
        I'm looking up on that one, Ebenrot.

But since you've got this fabulous piece of kit, I recommend you activate all the EAX surround settings of your sound card. It may not be as good as real 5.1 sound, but at least you get a better "spacial experience" from those 2.0 DivX movies.

Greg2k
        Thanks Greg...

I would be glad if you could find something out....
        it would be great if there is any opportunity to watch 2.0 films with a sound like 5.1

Comment

• Greg2k
          • Jan 2003

Well, think I may have found something after all . Dunno, I'm a simple newbie, but this URL may solve your problem.

A graphical user interface for BeSweet, an AC3 to Dolby Digial WAV conversion utility, for making Dolby Digital CDs

It does just about everything to and with AC3, so give it a whirl. Haven't tried it yet, but suppose it's useful.

L8rs

Greg2k

Comment

• Ebenrot
            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Greg2k
            Well, think I may have found something after all . Dunno, I'm a simple newbie, but this URL may solve your problem.

A graphical user interface for BeSweet, an AC3 to Dolby Digial WAV conversion utility, for making Dolby Digital CDs

It does just about everything to and with AC3, so give it a whirl. Haven't tried it yet, but suppose it's useful.

L8rs

Greg2k
            Thanks for this tool....

But maybe there is also an opportunity to convert standard 2.0 sound into ac3 ???

Comment

• Greg2k
              • Jan 2003

Hmmm... I reckon that's what it does!

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

stop complaining about the sound quality of illegally downloaded files!

Comment

• Ebenrot
                  • Nov 2002

oh...ok...

than thx a lot for your help!

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

It remains a fact that emulated Dolby-prologic sound is never as good as true Dolby sound.

And yes, stop complaining about the sound quality of compressed AVIs. Get the DVDs yourself. Your soundcard and speakers deserve good quality source (My . . . those people over at 3DSS will flame me down when they read this statement ).

Comment

• Ebenrot
                      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
                      It remains a fact that emulated Dolby-prologic sound is never as good as true Dolby sound.

And yes, stop complaining about the sound quality of compressed AVIs. Get the DVDs yourself. Your soundcard and speakers deserve good quality source (My . . . those people over at 3DSS will flame me down when they read this statement ).
                      thx!!! You just gave me the yank I needed... Why have I bought such a expensive system when I do not use it at all? But you have to admit, that the offering of films iin the internet s such big that you're really going to think about it....

I have just ordered two DVDs "Ghost Ship" and "the Ring"
                      I don't wanna miss that great sound feeling anymore

Comment

Working...